Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Body Image (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Body Image
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your body: it's the one you have, and the only one you've got. If you love it, it can make your whole life a lot easier. If you hate it, it's hard to feel good about sexuality, being close to others, and even loving ourselves.

So, where are you at?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my body. The onlyu thing I would change would be my horrible posture.
Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go, yoga, go.

No, I'm serious. Yoga is one of the best things you can do for your posture, and it's also fantaastic as a general workout, and very soothing to the mind. There are also a lot of easy-to-get videos out there with really great routines.

I'm an addict.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evil_taco
Neophyte
Member # 20

Icon 7 posted      Profile for evil_taco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looooove my body. I'm about 30 lbs overweight too. But I love myself sooo much. not in a conceited way... sort of the way you love your favorite shirt... it's old and it doesn't look as great as it could but man you LOVE it.

------------------
den of iniquity

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pillow Angel
Neophyte
Member # 25

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pillow Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little self conscious about myself, I'm not really too fit and I am underweight.I'm thin and I'm looking to gain a few pounds. I think I would be healthier if I weighed a little more but nonetheless I am generally happy with myself.
Posts: 4 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitten
Neophyte
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I know exactly what you mean! I don't feel that way about myself ALL the time, I wish I did, but man, when you love yourself you LOVE yourself! I could stand to be more fit, but whenever I get down about my weight, I just think... hey, I like me. I'm comfortable with it and if nothing else, I'm healthy. My boyfriends likes me. My friends like me. So what possible reason do I have to get down like this?

------------------
Janice
=^..^=
Meow, baby!

Posts: 9 | From: Saint Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to know there're others who feel the way I do! my boyfriend teases me because I'm always the first one to just strip down and lounge around nude - I feel soooooooo much more comfortable in just my skin than in anything else.

I suppose that a bad thing for anyone is if you're somewhere like the hotel I was at a few weeks ago, and the bathroom is COMPLETELY mirrored - there are some parts of me I just don't want to see when I'm showering.

I'm just worried about what will happen next year when I go off to college. I'm only comfortable enough to sleep when I'm in the nude. I figure, the first night I'm there, I'll just strip down in the middle of the room, hop into bed, and tell her she'll have to get used to it!

~the semi-elusive lemming

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitten
Neophyte
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for nudity!
hehe
I'm most comfy sleeping nekkid too. Just feels soooo nice, especially in the summer.

I say, hey, as long as doesn't offend anyone, go ahead and be bare, lemming!
And I know what you mean about those darn all-around mirrors... makes ya wanna go "grrr...shut up, no one asked for your opinion." heh

------------------
Janice
=^..^=
Meow, baby!

[This message has been edited by kitten (edited June 08, 2000).]

Posts: 9 | From: Saint Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I've always been a nude sleeper, too, but in the last year, I've had to shift a bit. I moved to Minnesota, and let me tell you, it's just too darn cold in the winter.

We also recently got a puppy who is young enough to still try and latch onto nipples. That happened ONCE, and I have not been caught shortless since, I tell ya.

But I think, truthfully, we all should be most comfortable in our own skin, and it's a bit easier when it all comes down to it. Most clothes are cut really poorly, and it's easy to be critical of our bodies when they don't seem to fit into anything right.

surfrgrl
Neophyte
Member # 50

Icon 4 posted      Profile for surfrgrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a little self-conscience about my bod. We all are. Weither you think you are flat, or are over weight. I am not over weight and I am plenty full for my height. But I do have acne. That is just my trouble spot. I don't let it get to me. I just make my good parts more noticable. The guy I like, likes my body. He tells me this consantly. That makes me totally forget about my acne.
Posts: 15 | From: jax, fla.usa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flyus192
Neophyte
Member # 52

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flyus192     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a short, small guy in every way, but my g/f likes me just the way I am. In an honest relationship, size means nothing.
Posts: 10 | From: Near Walt Disney World, FL, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
woohoo! I totally agree...liking someone for "who they are" should take into account not only what's inside, but what's outside. if you really love someone, you get a certain fondness for what they look like, too - even if at first they weren't your idea of prince/ss charming.

------------------
~the semi-elusive lemming

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flyus192
Neophyte
Member # 52

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Flyus192     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lemming. We live in Florida and we have our own pool so we skinny dip a lot. That provides lots of opportunity to 'stare and compare'. I found out a long time ago that the girls who turn me on the most are not the top heavy ones or the ones with the sharpest curves. It's the ones who are really cool with whatever they have.
Posts: 10 | From: Near Walt Disney World, FL, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I moved to Minnesota, and let me tell you, it's just too darn cold in the winter.
Ha! Try living in toronto for 1 winter day! But I'm stubborn, I still sleep naked, and I'm cold as hell in the winter.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scar
Neophyte
Member # 93

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 4 feet 9 inches and I've wished I was taller a million times. My 6 foot boyfriend tells me often that loves the small package. Although I've gotten more comfortable with my height more recently, I have to admit it's really a neck strainer to kiss him standing up. And the body to body hugs are much better when our noses are alligned too!
Stairs are great...!

Posts: 5 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shannon
Neophyte
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shannon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! It's so great to see so many people loving and accepting their bodies!
Posts: 7 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like my bod, but a lot of girls seem to be jealous of me because of my big chest. People will actually call you a slut just because you have big boobs! Lately though, a lot of girls seem to be getting boob jobs, so things are starting to evening out a bit.
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelpie7
Neophyte
Member # 271

Icon 5 posted      Profile for angelpie7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha i totally can relate to you hotgrrl!!
The strange thing is that all the guys seem to love my body and I guess a lot of girls are envious but I'm really self-consious about it. I used to not care but I don't like being stared at and it's made me almost nervous about it. I feel like I lose either way. any suggestions?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunflower
Activist
Member # 117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well let me just say that I am happy for all of you who love your bodies, and I really wish that I felt the same way. And too Scar don't worry about being short, it is a lot better than being super tall!!!! I am 6'1" and have always been the tallest person in school and every thing. To top it off I am one of those girls who wants to feel protected by her man and wants him to cuddle her and to be all little in his arms. Needless to say, I would kill to be like you scar!!!!! I always said that I would never date a guy shorter than me, and trust me that has been hard to stick by, but luckily my honey of two and a half years is 6'2", but when we went to prom and everything is was a killer to find shoes so that I wouldn't be taller then him (it didn't work)!!!! I am always asking my love if he really likes me tall and he says yes, but the thing that bugs me is that all of his girlfriends before me were 5'7" or shorter!!!!!! It is kind of hard to believe him!!! Another thing is I also have pretty big boobs!!!! (36C) and that bothers me too, but luckily my man is a breast man!!!! And it also helps that he is a leg man too, but because of being tall all of my life I have always thought that I was overweight because everyone calls me big or huge. I used to be called Igor and Oger!!!! So anyways that is my story!!
Posts: 130 | From: Berkeley, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
angelpie7... Well, having big boobs at 11 or 12 can be annoying, cuz people will pick on you and stuff. But after 14 or 15 it's really great, cuz most boys totally love big boobs!! For some reason, having big boobs drives a lot of boys totally wild!!
PS... I am not meaning to stereotype. I'm just going by the type of guys I know of, and have come in contact with in my area! There may be other places in the country or world where the majority of guys like small ones!

[This message has been edited by HotGrrl99 (edited 27 June 2000).]

Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wear*a*smile!
Activist
Member # 161

Icon 6 posted      Profile for wear*a*smile!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well in like, 5th and 6th grade, i was like, super-tall and i wieghed like, 140. seriously. and then i didn't like the way i was so i went on a diet(a healthy one, not a starving yourself to death one) and i lost 20 pounds. i noticed that a lot more boys noticed me and i got no more comments about my wieght. then i filled out in my chest and i wore a 36C and all of a sudden i got all of this attention. i don't like attention, though. i mean, i know girls who wiegh as much as me and stuff, and they were tube tops and all these kind of slutty stuff all the time, and they ask me why i don't, and i just think thats its not all that nesiccary. wieght really shouldn't matter. i mean, when i lost wieght it wasn't because i wanted people to noitce me, it was because i didn't want to live unhealthy and not fit. now i run all the time and i am happy with my body. but just t-shirts and jeans and jean shirts and skating shoes for me, thank u very much.
i have friends who are sort of overiweght, too. and its not even that big of a deal. i know one girl at my school who is the most popular girl at school and sh is "big". everyone likes her cuz she is one of the funniest and nicest persons ever. it realyl shouldn't matter. and if guys only like u for your body or wieght or face or whatever, they really r shallow, cuz your wieght, body, and face doesn't mean u have a great heart and that u can be a good b/f or g/f. i mean, its soooooo normal to be attracted physically, my boyfriend and i are physicaly attraceted, but honestly, it should be more then that, right??
p.s. wear*a*smile!!

Posts: 139 | From: San Ramon, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhiannon
Activist
Member # 319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiannon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't HATE my body, but I can't say that I'm happy with it. I'm considered thin (5'7 1/2" and about 125), but I'd still like to be a lot thinner. I'd also like to be just a little shorter (maybe 2 inches)...and there are other things about my overall appearance that I just don't like. Sigh.

------------------
But that's just my two cents..

Posts: 45 | From: CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AbercrombieBabe
Neophyte
Member # 310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AbercrombieBabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think everyone thinks there's something wrong with their body I mean no one's perfect. But, I do like my body I'm 5'5 and weigh about 110 the only thing is I wish I was taller, I'm too short!! *haha*

------------------
aNgElA

~*~iT tAkeS a MiNuTe tO HaVe a CrUsH oN sOmEoNe, An hOuR tO LiKe tHeM, a DaY tO lOvE sOmEoNe, BuT iT tAkEs a LiFeTiMe To FoRgEt SoMeOnE~*~

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
bEn & AnGeLa aLwAyS
<3 3/25/00 <3
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Posts: 24 | From: TX, USA *yawn* | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well im really glad to see so many people liking their bodies. But sad to say i am not pleased with mine. I know i have some very beautiful feartures and when i have clothing on i dont mind my bady so much. It juat when my clothes are off. My boyfriend likes my body and says he loves me however i came (we met online) but i know that deep down he wishes that i didnt look the way i did. But he is very supportive if me, and that is what counts. But i want to say i have killer lower legs!!!
Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Activist
Member # 374

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ophelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i love my body too...but you know what truly sucks? there are so many people who feel that they are overweight and that they want a body like the women in the fashion magazines. but you know what happens when you have a so-called 'nice' body like that? guys like you only for your body, and how you might look like in a swim suit and the way that your legs are shaped. and trust me, i have wanted to just tear off my limbs for this exact reason. this seriously bites the big one, cause you never know what guys are going after...you or your body!
Posts: 72 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

You know people... no matter how bad your body might be (or you think it might be), you can usually do something to improve it. Working out seems to work the best for most of the people I know, plus it's great for you health! However, there are some people I know who have gone as far as lipposuction and boob jobs to improve their looks. Just do whatever works for you!

[This message has been edited by HotGrrl99 (edited 04 July 2000).]

Smilegrl4343
Activist
Member # 317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smilegrl4343     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeppi, lets get down with our bad selves!!
I love my body, you guys helped me decide that too, because i have a small cup size but hey who cares!! Right!! And my but is square but i love it too, i love my body thats what god gave me so i learn to love it no matter what!! And don't let anyone diss you just because your shape of body!! Learn to love it!! I LOVE MY BODY!!!! YEPPPIII

Posts: 57 | From: kansascity, Mo, Usa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am always asking my love if he really likes me tall and he says yes, but the
thing that bugs me is that all of his girlfriends before me were 5'7" or shorter!!!!!! It is kind of hard to believe him!!!

Well, probably they were shorter just because most women are. (I think the average height for women in the USA is 5'4" or something like that.) If he says he likes your hight, Sunflower, believe him. And besides, you can always be glad you don't have Scar's problems with height differences and kissing!

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Voltaire
Neophyte
Member # 205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Voltaire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, may I humblely submit that I hate my body. I have a crazy slow metabolism; on the plus side I only need like 4 1/2 hours of sleep a night, but no matter how well I eat or how much I work out I always have pudge. Chubby cheeks, man cleavage, a gut, the whole nine yards.

I've been training in various martial arts for 7 years, lifting weights, running, all that jazz. I've lost 15 pounds in the past 3 months, and let me tell you, you can't tell one lick of difference, and I took the polaroids to prove it (it's supposed to help your confidence so you can actually see how much better you look, a before and after type thing. Yeah right.).

Also, I'm 19 and I'm about the only person I know to still have zits as bad as mine. All over my face, chest and arms. It's really embarrasing, I'm so self conscious. I haven't gone out in shorts ever as far back as I can remember, and I never wear just a t-shirt, always a button down or sweater overtop. I never, ever go swimming in front of my friends. I really don't like my body, no matter how much work I put into it it seems to stay exactly the same.

It's really hard not to be self conscious, tho. In my entire life, only two girls have ever been attracted to me so far as I know, one was on the rebound (that lasted 3 days), the other was really really drunk and thought I was some guy named Drew (which I'm not). I really do blame this on my body. I try to be a perfect gentleman, but unfortunately looks do often count in this world.

I wish I could be content with my body, but it hasn't done me any favours lately.

Posts: 4 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Voltaire
Neophyte
Member # 205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Voltaire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen 2. Sorta helps for a couple months, then it comes back worse. My parents have spent enough money on crazy dermatalogical drugs already, I'm not going to make them spend any more on my account, and I can't afford it myself anyway.
Posts: 4 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends what time of day you ask me..but usually I love my body because I'm just me and there's no one like me...See I just got over this whole depression/self mutilation thang and once you get as down as you've ever been, you realize that your body is beuatiful and you shouldn't hurt it or scar it...wow I never thought I was so deep

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Equinox
Neophyte
Member # 296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Equinox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the shape of my body. I am fortunate to be slim, yet very curvy. I used to hate it, but now I look at my hour glass shape as an asset moreso than an annoyance.

What I don't like so much is my skin in some places. I have stretch marks on my thighs, butt, and the back of my calves. I can't stand 'em!

[This message has been edited by Equinox (edited 06 July 2000).]

Posts: 27 | From: Connecticut, U.S.A | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire:
I've seen 2. Sorta helps for a couple months, then it comes back worse. My parents have spent enough money on crazy dermatalogical drugs already, I'm not going to make them spend any more on my account, and I can't afford it myself anyway.

Have you been allergy tested? Sometimes acne is allergy related, especially related to foods. (And not just chocolate, either.) Also, some people just have slow metabolisms, but allergies can affect that as well. I know it made a difference for me. You'd need to find an allergist who has experience in treating food allergies, not just the airborne stuff.

And good luck. You sound like a really nice guy, and far more physically fit than I am, that's for sure. One of these days some lucky girl will figure out how great you are.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Voltaire
Neophyte
Member # 205

Thanks a lot, I hadn't ever thought of that. I've booked an appointment with alergist already.

And thanks for the support. No matter how many times people tell me that, it still makes me feel better

entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm.. body...
I think I'm out of proportion, since I'm so stubby 5'1" and 110lb, but I like my facial features.
here ya go

Lucky for me I have a short b/f so I don't look so out of place.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.