Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Need Some Other College Students Responses

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Need Some Other College Students Responses
Country Girl

posted 05-09-2001 12:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Country Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hello! I am in a pickle and need a response. I was interested if for any of you college folks, life is different when you return home from college for the summer. Do you return home? Are you still treated the same as you were when you were 15 or when you left? This is mostly applicable to freshman and sophmores.

Thanks. More later.

IP: Logged

Gumdrop Girl

posted 05-09-2001 12:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
well, i'm an old and grizzled junior, but i remember what it like being a whipper-snapper.

i seldom go home. not thanksgiving. not spring break. sometimes in winter i'll go home for a few days. i might even go home for a few after finals. my folks are eager to have me back. they roll out the red carpet, so to speak. mom always cooks my favorite foods and what not. and i have a curfew again (10pm, an hour extension from high school) -- a real shock considering i do whatever i want here 'cause i live alone.

but it feels weird. after a while, it's home, but it's not. i can't find my stuff. i feel disoriented -- i can't reemmber where i put my wallet or keys. my bed isn't comfortable anymore. the water in the shower isn't as warm as it is in my apartment. i can't hear the cars go by outside my window. It's those subtleties.

and the culture shock. oh golly. i got acclimatized to Berkeley, so much to the point that i almost believe that i'm the baby-killing fascist they make me out to be (i'm a moderate conservative), but when i get home, what's the first thing i see stepping off the train? a giant billboard denouncing a woman's right to choose (i am also pro-choice).

and talking to my old friends. i love them to death, but i'm having less and less in common with them. at school, i talk about finals, new projects, book, films, etc. at home, i ask my friends how their husbands are doing. how's the job? the house? whatever-have-you.

in any case, i'm not the same person i was when i left. and i'm not coming home to the same home i knew as a child. my parents are remodelling.

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

momma cat

posted 05-09-2001 05:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for momma cat     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm a freshman, and it's not terribly different except my parents are more likely to let me do whatever I want. I can call from my friends house and say we're having a James Bond marathon and "I'm coming home pretty late" is acceptable. They used to make me give them an estimate then stick to it. Dad doesn't yell at me when I won't eat the greenbeans, etc. Mom has to hug me about three times when I leave again though, and my family is completely unaffectionate, so I have no idea what to do there. I got them to loosen up and treat me like an adult about halfway through my senior year though, so there wasn't much more loosening up that could be done anyway. But it's not like I ask for a whole lot: I stayed at a friends house until 4am one night over Christmas break because a bunch of us had gotten together to network our computers and play games. They know I don't drink. A certain someone would probably still be my friend if he hadn't decided alcohol was the coolest substance in the whole world and more important than friends. That angers me so much that I can't enjoy being around people who are drinking, even if they're not getting anywhere close to drunk.

posted 05-09-2001 12:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KittenGoddess     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm a sophmore, and I do think it's quite different to move home. I don't think it's entirely that my family has changed, although they have. I find that I personally have changed alot too. I've been living alone for 9 months, and suddenly I'm living with three other people again, it's very disorienting. To a certain extent, my parents treat me like an adult and let me do my own thing, but in other respects they think I'm still their little girl. So I think it really goes both ways, and it's very frustrating at times.

the kittenblog

"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

posted 05-09-2001 09:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Siren     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am one of those lovely community college students who couldn't get into a 4 year college, and didn't want to anyway. So I have never left home, my school is two minutes (literally!) from my house. I am going on my third year (which is sort of embarassing to admit, seeing as I go to a 2 year school) anyway.....

In the past year my parents are finally starting to accept the fact that I'm not their "little girl" anymore. My parents pay for the roof over me, utilities, and a few other things if I can convince them to! I pay for most of my own stuff. I am aloud to stay out as long as I want. Can have my boyfriend spend the night. Can spend the night at his place. Can have any pet I want, as long as it remains in my room and I pay for it. Can take a trip (as long as I tell them where I'm going). Basically, I have my own life, and my parents are okay with that.

BUT, these priviledges were not awarded to me overnight. I had to show them that I was mature and responsible, and once they trusted me they gave me more and more priviledges. I'm also very honest with my parents about everything. I hate lying to them about where I'm going or who I'm with, so now I just tell them the truth. I'm sure I could lose my priviledges pretty fast if I got into trouble, or showed I wasn't responsible.

Lil Siren
-Scarleteen Advocate
"Those are some BIG ice cubes...."

posted 05-10-2001 05:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Beppie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It was wierdest for me the first time I came home after being at college. I suddenly felt like a guest in my own house, a few things had changed without me realising it, and it was overall eerie. After that though, coming home was fine, and it really felt just like it always did when I was at home during high school holidays.

I definitely can't go out as much when I'm at home, but this is not because my parents are strict. On the contrary, they let me stay overnight at parties when I was fifteen (and this is not your traditional slumber party type situation), but I hardly ever did that. It was pretty funny- my peers would complain about a 1pm curfew and I would ask my parents to pick me up at midnight. The problem is that we live in the country, and I can't drive- thus I go out very little when I'm at home. I also miss the fact that I can't just walk down the road to buy ice cream or coke whenever I feel like junk food, although that is probably a good thing in truth.

In my first two years of uni, I went home all the time- whenever we had a break. Now, I go home less often because I'm working. Last summer I spent only one month out of three at home, and I didn't go home at all for Easter. I'm planning to go for about a week in June/July though.

posted 05-10-2001 05:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Eclipse     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I love going home... I love my home and my family, I spent many happy years there. In many ways, it's like it was before... my room has much less stuff in it, which is weird, and I'm not expected to do any work around the house, which is ultra weird. My mom doesn't wake me up in the morning, which is annoying. And they fix wonderful meals for me every night.

Now the first time I went home, for a week at fall break seven weeks into the term, I was very impatient and wanted to come back here. Everything was still fresh and new here, my friendships were new, my relationship was new, and being at home was just an interruption. That first Christmas break seemed like it would never end. I went to my boyfriend's house for spring break, and then brought him home for a couple weeks last summer, which was great. I was surprised that they treated me adult-like, and weren't upset at all about Ryan and me sleeping together. Now that I know from experience that I live here now, I love going home. It's like a vacation. I wish I could go home for a couple weeks after school ends, but neither my parents nor I can afford the airfare right now. I'll never live at home again, but only because I can't forward my career there. No dolphins in missouri.

My parents are moving away this year from the house that I grew up in and lived in for 14 years, and that upsets me a LOT. I get really emotional whenever it comes up.

Country Girl

posted 05-11-2001 08:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Country Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Siren - You are in nearly the same plight that I am. The college that I am going to is primarily online and so I am home about 24-7. My parents still treat me as though I am 15/16 even though I am IN college, just not away. I understand the whole "their house, their rules" thing but to suffocate me while I AM here and not let me really begin to grow and sever those ties that bind me is killing me.

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Search Scarleteen