Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Emergencies and Crises
  Friend's Suicide Attempts

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Friend's Suicide Attempts
ragdoll
Neophyte

posted 12-13-2002 08:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ragdoll     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My friend does not get through a day w/ out slitting his wrists. He talks to people on hotlines and everything to help. The bad part is that he is my ex-boyfriend and I am still in love w/ him. It's so hard on me to see him do this to himself, I pretty much talk him out of it each time on the phone, but now each time it's getting harder and harder to get through to him. As you might be able to tell we are still close friends. He takes anti-depresent pills, because he is manic depressant, but it is not seeming to help any. His mom knows about suicide threats he has had earlier (she does not know about him slitting his wrists) and has not gotten him help. Just please post something helpful, I am clueless on what to do. Thank You.

IP: Logged

lemming
Advocate

posted 12-13-2002 09:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lemming     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This is not something that you should have to be dealing with on your own, and I think you know that. This is an area for a professional, and you've talked to his mother, and she's not getting him help. Is there someone you can talk to at school about this? A counselor or a teacher? Because you should not be responsible for this - that's simply not fair to you.

If you feel that he is a danger to himself, and you've talked to his mother and to other adults you can trust, you can ALWAYS call the police. If someone is in danger of harming himself or others, this is the smart thing to do, and it's the scenario I would say you're heading towards.

You don't need to have all this stress on your shoulders - and I remember what feeling this feels like, I have been in a situation very close to yours - and he needs to get some help. Again, talk to a counselor or an adult you can trust - try your parents, too, if you need to - or call the police. This is something that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Miz Scarlet
Sexpert

posted 12-13-2002 09:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Miz Scarlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Next time he does it, you call the ER.

Honestly.

It isn't always easy to decipher when someone is earnest about suicide and when they're trying to get help, but attemtpts at slitting your wrists can end in death regardless, so it is best to treat it as a medical emergency. And the folks there can do the job you can't -- they can determine what help he may need and get it for him.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen