Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  General Health & Nutrition
  endometriosis

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   endometriosis
XIII months
Activist

posted 01-03-2002 07:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for XIII months     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
my doc thinks i have endometriosis and wants to do an explotatory surgery. ive been doing alot of research on the topic and was wondering if anyone would share their experience with it? how they felt before treatment, after. if they were able to remain fertile. im really worried about becoming infertile. im young and have plenty of time, the next few years not an option. if im going to be unable to have a child though, i am willing to do so now. i just need someone to share their experience with me. btw, im going to go find out for sure in a few weeks, i see my doc next week and will go from there. thanks.

IP: Logged

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 01-03-2002 07:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
while I do not have endometriosis, a friend of mine does. she just delivered a healthy baby girl.

but for the moment, in some cases, endometriosis can be controlled by birth control pills.

for those who don't know, endometriosis is a condition where the endometrium (the inner lining of the uterus that gets shed during menstruation) grows in places that aren't in the uterus (like random parts of the abdominal cavity). Endometriosis can be a very uncomfortable condition because it causes severe cramping (it's extra endometrium in a lot of different places -- the endometrium makes the chemicals that cause cramping). By taking the Pill, the body reduces the amount of endometrium produced during her cycle.

i gotta run, but if anyone has any other questions, pop 'em in, and i'll answer them after I get back from the Incubus show.

------------------
srm? wtf? iyhta ... rtfm!

LilBlueSmurf
Sexpert

posted 01-03-2002 10:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
There seems to be something wrong w/ my reproductive system also, and endometrius is one of the suspected culprits. I've been for ultrasounds and all that other diagnostic junk, but nothing has turned up. Exploratory surgery, or laparoscopy, is my last option.

I had exploratory surgery when i was 13, but it wasn't for endo., so i can only give you the surgery experience.

I was seen by a regular surgeon b/c my problem didn't look to be gynecological (they thought it was my appendix) and had the surgery done. From what i can understand of it, they put me under and sent a teeny tiny microscope type thing in through a hole they had cut just above my bellybutton. It's normally day surgery, here anyway, but i was in for a few days at least b/c i was still running a fever. Recovery was kinda tough, b/c they cut through all those important tummy muscles that you thought you didn't really use for simple things like breathing ... Guess what? They're super important and it'll hurt for a bit, but they'll probably give you pain meds and you'll sleep for 4 days straight like i did I had to go for a checkup a few weeks later to make sure the "holes" were healing properly and there were no new problems creeping up.

Hope this helped a bit ... I've also done my share of researching on endo, so if you have any questions, gimme a shout

------------------
*~*Smurfie*~*
Scarleteen Advocate

Words of Wisdom

XIII months
Activist

posted 01-04-2002 11:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for XIII months     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
while I do not have endometriosis, a friend of mine does. she just delivered a healthy baby girl.

great! that helps that worry. really not a good idea to have a kid while in university if i can help it!
quote:
but for the moment, in some cases, endometriosis can be controlled by birth control pills.

cant do that. i was taken off of the pill cause it was causing too many other problems. doc told me to stop and be extra cautious with the condoms.

quote:
for those who don't know...

great that you defined it for peeps!

[This message has been edited by XIII months (edited 01-04-2002).]

XIII months
Activist

posted 01-04-2002 11:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for XIII months     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LilBlueSmurf:
...been for ultrasounds and all that other diagnostic junk, but nothing has turned up. Exploratory surgery, or laparoscopy, is my last option.

thats where im at as well.
quote:
I had exploratory surgery when i was 13, but it wasn't for endo...

i was in for exploratory surgery when i was about 7. they thought it was a bladder thing, but now that my doc thinks its endo, alot of things in my previous medical history are starting to make sense.

thanks for your help!

Anita18
Activist

posted 03-02-2004 02:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Anita18     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My mom was diagnosed with endometriosis about two years ago. She had excruciating cramps with her period every month, and she had never had menstrual cramps before. It got so bad that she eventually opted for surgery (after trying medications - Chinese herbals as well as Western medicine).

I don't remember if it was exploratory surgery, or if they just went right ahead and took out all of the stuff that wasn't supposed to be there. It was probably the latter, since the doctors operated on her rectum (where most of the endometrium had lodged itself in) and I had to change the dressings when she got home cause the rest of my family couldn't stand the thought of doing it.

She couldn't sit or lie down on her back for a while because the incision was directly on her bottom. ("You never know how important your butt is until you can't use it anymore!" she said at the time ) Now she's doing a lot better, although she still needs extra padding on the seats she sits in.

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen