Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Sexual Health and Medicine
  Networks of Sex Partners

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Networks of Sex Partners
Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 01-24-2005 10:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A Study Shows a Network of 300 Sexual Partners in ONE High School

Y'know that saying "when you have sex with someone, you're having sex with everyone they've ever had sex with"?

This new article is about a social networking study that mapped the connections between high school students and their sexual partners. In the study, they showed that almost 300 people were connected to each other through the various people they had slept with. And this was in just one high school!

One of the reasons STDs are prevalent in teenagers is because there is a disease "pool" in the population. That means, when one person gets infected, it spreads within a large, but tight-knit community of sex partners. So one person getting infected can lead to an epidemic in a school.

This just shows how important it is to use condoms everytime. high school relationships may seem long to some people, but they don't average more than a few months, and even more rarely exceed two years.

...300 other people. where has your partner been? and their partners? and their partners after that? that's a lot of folks...

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

IP: Logged

froggy_dear
Activist

posted 01-24-2005 10:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for froggy_dear     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Holy cow. That's a startling (to me) number in a social/sexual network.

The article made me remember something from HS. My high school once had a (what's that word) class wide meeting in the auditorium and we did an exercise with water and a chemical to show how quickly and unexpectedly a disease can spread through the population. Of course, it was only talking about HIV,AIDS, but it could as soon have applied to herpes.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

IP: Logged

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen