The Keeper II (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   The Keeper II
lemming
Advocate

posted 10-28-2003 08:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lemming     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The original Keeper thread, with lots of information on how to use it, where to get it, and my day-by-day-or-so first time using it, is here: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/000067.html

Here's a new thread for all your Keeper, Divacup, and Mooncup-related questions about rubber and silicone menstrual cups.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

Kissing girls in English at the back of the stairs, you're a honey with a following of innocent boys, they never know it because you never show it..." - Belle and Sebastian

IP: Logged

curlgurl_2003
Neophyte

posted 10-30-2003 12:36 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for curlgurl_2003     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
im mailing my order for the divacup tommarow.

Celtic Daisy
Advocate

posted 10-31-2003 12:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Celtic Daisy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ordered mine yesterday. :P

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

sparrow
Neophyte

posted 11-12-2003 02:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sparrow     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was really excited when my divacup arrived in the mail and I couldn't wait to use it. When I finally figured out how to fit it in and it unfolded inside me the pain was excruciating. I had tears in my eyes and it hurt so much to even take it out. I mean I've had sex once before and while that hurt a little it wasn't nearly as painful as this. Is there any possible way to make it not hurt? The problem isn't the size, I checked and it's right.

RumpusParable
Activist

posted 11-12-2003 07:36 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RumpusParable     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
did you make sure the the edge doesn't have any little burs or rough spots? sometimes when they're new they need a little filing. happily mine didn't, but some do.

also, how far inside you did you get it before it opened up? i slide mine in using primarily my thumb, and to get it in the right place for me my thumb almost goes entirely inside me.

try wetting or putting a dab of lube on the rim, too. this helps some women.

sparrow
Neophyte

posted 11-12-2003 08:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sparrow     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
when it unfolded it was pretty near the outside. should it be in further? is there more room further in? and wouldn't it still hurt when i took it out? it's smooth all around, that wasn't the problem. i mean tampons fit in all right but it took me a long time to even be able to use the larger absorbency ones. i don't know, it's just so frustrating.

logic_grrl
Advocate

posted 11-12-2003 09:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for logic_grrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yup, there's more room further in (actually, all of the vagina can expand, but it's more comfortable for the cup to sit with its widest part up in the upper part of the vagina, rather than right down at the vaginal entrance).

So try pushing the cup in a bit further before you let it unfold.

When you take it out, don't pull on the tab - pinch the base of the cup and pull on that. That breaks the suction, and encourages the cup to naturally fold itself a bit to come out of your vagina more comfortably.

It definitely takes some practice to get the hang of inserting and removing menstrual cups, so don't get discouraged .

Celtic Daisy
Advocate

posted 11-13-2003 12:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Celtic Daisy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I got mine about a week ago and tried it out on a "dry run" last night. I had a lot of trouble getting it in because it kept unfolding. I know I didn't have it in quite far enough but it felt fairly comfortable none the less. Getting it out was a little painful because I didn't think of folding it a bit. After I did that it was easy.
Tomorrow will probably be my first day of real usage and I'm hoping it's worth my $44.

curlgurl_2003
Neophyte

posted 11-13-2003 09:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for curlgurl_2003     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i got my divacup today!!! it was hard getting it in, and i was a little sore at first, but after a few minutes, i couldnt even tell i had it in. i went to the bathroom with it in, and it felt like it slipped down a bit and it hurt a little, but that went away pretty quick.

Celtic Daisy
Advocate

posted 11-20-2003 11:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Celtic Daisy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I did a couple of 'dry runs' and i know i didn't have it in right. The first day it wasn't quite positioned right either. I wanted to put it in but I was in a rush so I grabbed a pad and tried again when i got home that night. I filed the tab off pretty much completely. Once i got it in the first night i couldn't feel it. I didn't leak at all...until i stood up in the morning. I always have a very heavy first night.

Getting it in and out was a bit of a challenge the first couple of days but by the last two i was pro. I had no other leaking problems, no pain, i couldn't tell it was there. I had less cramps and my period was shorter by a day and a bit.

sparrow
Neophyte

posted 12-10-2003 11:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sparrow     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
does being a virgin or not make a difference to the comfort of it? Like when you are a virgin and you're having sex for the first time it hurts. So does it make sense that it would hurt to use the keeper if nothing of that size has ever entered your body?

Milke
Activist

posted 12-10-2003 11:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I didn't think so, no. I got a Keeper when I was fifteen, and while I realise it's more common for women to start using it after becoming sexually active, I'd attribute that to it not being too well known about, rather than any particular problems being sexually inexperienced might present. I hadn't had any sexual partners then, and it was a totally moot point anyway. And it's not like first-time sex is necessarily painful.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

. . .Fearing not that I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preach

lemming
Advocate

posted 01-03-2004 03:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lemming     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Silly Keeper story:

I was just in an apartment in Austin for four days with my boyfriend and all of my guy friends. I finished my period while I was there, and I put my Keeper in my travelling bag, where I promptly forgot about it.

Stuff moved around, and clothes got stuffed in there, and when I unpacked last night I didn't take it out of my bag. I remembered it this morning, and had about 30 panic-stricken seconds in which I thought I had left it on the floor of my friend Josh's room. Finally I found it in my bag--I was hyperventilating at the thought of having to ask him to look for my "little rubber cup!"

curlgurl_2003
Neophyte

posted 01-21-2004 06:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for curlgurl_2003     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
my divacup stinks. how can i make it not smell anymore?

Milke
Activist

posted 01-21-2004 06:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You could soak it in 1/2 hydrogen peroxide/1/2 water. That actually removed years-old discolouration from my Keeper.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

We can't rewind, we've gone too far

logic_grrl
Advocate

posted 01-21-2004 06:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for logic_grrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Since the divacup is silicone, you can completely sterilize it (which will remove anything that might be causing the smell) by boiling it for several minutes.

How are you normally cleaning it?

curlgurl_2003
Neophyte

posted 01-21-2004 06:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for curlgurl_2003     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i boiled it AND put it in peroxide. still icky.

logic_grrl
Advocate

posted 01-21-2004 08:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for logic_grrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
OK, that's a tricky one. I've searched round the web and don't have anything to contribute except "Errr, it shouldn't be doing that."

Silicone is basically odourless, and sterilizing it should get rid of any body fluids that might conceivably be clinging to it.

Your best bet might be to e-mail the company you got it from and ask them - sounds like something's not right, and if it's faulty they should be able to give you a refund or replace it.

(Completely random thought: you haven't by any chance put any silicone-based lubricant on it, have you? That can sometimes cause silicone objects to go weird and melty).

curlgurl_2003
Neophyte

posted 01-21-2004 09:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for curlgurl_2003     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
no, i've never used any lube at all. i'll email the people at divacup about it. thanx!

nico
Neophyte

posted 02-07-2004 02:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nico     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hey, I just got my divacup and started using it yesterday when I got my period - but the thing leaks like crazy. I mean, more is going around than in. I don't understand, I'm making sure it's unfolded, but I still leak a lot. I really want this to work! anyone have any ideas?

froggy_dear
Activist

posted 02-07-2004 02:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for froggy_dear     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hmm... Do you turn it slightly when you put it in? It might help to seal it more.

logic_grrl
Advocate

posted 02-07-2004 06:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for logic_grrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Leakage can also be a question of positioning. It's supposed to sit quite low down - if you push it too far into the upper part of your vagina, which is wider, there's more room for leakage to occur round it.

So try adjusting the positioning and see if that helps, okay?

nico
Neophyte

posted 02-07-2004 09:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for nico     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hey, thanks for the advice. I tried it lower, turned it like mad, and . . . no leaks! I think I finally got the suction right or something. It's really unnoticable, and I swear my cramps and bloating are almost nonexistant. (crossing fingers) I hope it works for me overnight...

Faeryprinces
Activist

posted 02-09-2004 07:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Faeryprinces     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here's a question... I've been thinking about ordering one of these for awhile, but what turns me away from the idea right now is the fact that I live in a dorm. That would mean that i would have to clean the cup in the sinks outside the toilet stall...That doesnt seem so appealing Has anyone had experience with using this in college? Is it awkward to have to clean it in front of all the other girls in the huge communal bathroom? That has to be the only reason why i havent gotten one yet...haha

KittenGoddess
Sexpert

posted 02-10-2004 07:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for KittenGoddess     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I never found that to be a problem, Faery. There's not always someone in the bathroom, so when it was time to really clean it, I just waited till the bathroom was clear and then did it. I've also taken it into the shower with me before and washed it there. Beyond that, you don't really HAVE to clean it with soap and water each time you empty it and put it right back in. I think the instructions that come with it suggest "wiping it out" instead. I generally clean mine well with soap once a day. So you don't have to come out of the stall to wash it everytime.

Nifty tip though: I've always had trouble wiping it out. Toilet paper gets stuck on it or all the fluid doesn't come off. So the easy answer is to just carry a water bottle into the bathroom with you and rinse it off into the toilet. I also found it was easier to insert when a bit damp, so the water bottle helped with that too. So if you just designate an empty water bottle as your "Keeper Bottle" then you can clean it off in the stall and no one will ever even notice. For times when you're away from home, those little one pint bottles they sell now work fabulously. Fill it up and stick it in your purse or backpack and you're all ready to go!

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

curlgurl_2003
Neophyte

posted 04-05-2004 12:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for curlgurl_2003     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faeryprinces:
Has anyone had experience with using this in college? Is it awkward to have to clean it in front of all the other girls in the huge communal bathroom?

people arn't always in teh bathroom. go in while other people are at dinner or in class or something. or wash it out well when you take a shower and just rinse it the other times.

Faeryprinces
Activist

posted 04-07-2004 05:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Faeryprinces     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So I went and ordered a divacup last week in my frustration with the way tampons were making my stomach feel during my period...and I just recieved it today

The funny part is, I checked my mailbox here at school and my boyfriend was with me and he asked me what it was...and we're in the middle of the commons and he's like "Open it!"...I didnt feel like grossing him out and telling him what it actually was haha

I'm kind of excited...I want to try it out, but I wont get my period again for another 3 weeks! haha, I never thought I would be so excited to get my period... well, we;ll see..hehe

logic_grrl
Advocate

posted 04-08-2004 03:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for logic_grrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Actually, I found it was pretty helpful to do a "dry run" and practice inserting and removing it before I got my period.

That way, you have a chance to get the hang of it before you add "large amounts of blood" to the picture .

And you get to try it out right away!

Faeryprinces
Activist

posted 04-08-2004 11:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Faeryprinces     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You know, I honestly hadn't though of doing a dry run...because I guess i thought of it as any other product. its not like you can do a dry run with a tampon...or maybe you can, and I just never thought you could! haha, ohh well.

So yeah, I'll have to give a whirl at it when I go home this weekend for easter. I think I'd feel more comfortable with the whole dry run thing in my own bathroom rather than the communal one here at school!

[This message has been edited by Faeryprinces (edited 04-08-2004).]

logic_grrl
Advocate

posted 04-08-2004 04:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for logic_grrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'd definitely recommend a dry run (although "dry" is not a good word to be using here - a dab of water-based lube can help practice).

My experience has been that it's really simple to use once you get the hang of it, but can seem impossibly fiddly the first few times.

In particular, a folded Mooncup can spontaneously unfold itself and ping! across the room in an impressive way.

So it's a good idea to have this happen when it doesn't have blood in it .

PoetgirlNY
Activist

posted 04-08-2004 07:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PoetgirlNY     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I bought my Keeper five years ago and it has served me very well. I was visiting my grandparents' house last week, and their dog got to it! She found it where I had left it to dry in the room I was staying in, and ripped it up. I can see where she might have been confused, because it looks a little like a dog toy I guess. Luckily my grandparents never found out.

I just ordered a Diva Cup, and I'm totally excited. I hope it's not like having to learn how to use a menstrual cup all over again!

Faeryprinces
Activist

posted 04-11-2004 10:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Faeryprinces     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ok, so big question for me...the diva cup in my "dry run" of trying it out before i get my period, didnt go so well. In fact, I kind of made myself bleed and it *hurt* like no other trying to get it through my opening.

I tried to fold it all tight and small and cylindrical like the picture shows in the instructions, i used a little bit of lube like you guys suggested and I was relaxed (and definately excited to try it out...as odd as that sounds!! haha). I dont know what i'm doing wrong really...is it something i have to get used to? I mean, i've engaged in sexual intercourse with no real problems, (well it does hurt a little upon entry, but then i'm fine.)

I dunno, i mean, I look at this divacup now adn think, "wow, that is HUGE"...i didnt think this would be so difficult

logic_grrl
Advocate

posted 04-12-2004 04:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for logic_grrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Nope, you shouldn't ever have to "get used" to something's being painful.

Hmmm ... Okay, here's a bunch of suggestions to try:

1) Lots more lube.

2) Keep practices very short (lots of friction caused by repeated insertion and removal is not good).

3) Check the angle. As with tampons, angling it towards the small of your back can really help.

4) Devote some practice time to folding it (and holding it folded) before you try inserting it. Obviously, the smaller you can get it, the better. I've found it's possible to squish a Mooncup so that it's about the same dimensions as two fingers.

And keep us posted on how you get on, okay? It can seem really daunting to start off with, but the "teething problems" are usually solvable with a bit of brainstorming.

Faeryprinces
Activist

posted 04-12-2004 02:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Faeryprinces     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ok, so I took your suggestions logic, and took another crack at this about 20 minutes ago, haha...

So I used more lube than last time...well A LOT more lube, i coated the entire upper half with a really gooey dripping amount(it was all over!). I folded it all tight(practiced a few times folding and holding before i lubed the cup).

I have to admit, I hadnt really thought much about postioning the first 2 times i tried over the weekend, but I took special care in thinking about angle and postioning this time...and with all that lube, it just went right in! It was also a lot easier to twist too

So I walked around for about 10 mins with it in, sat down, bent over... did a deep plie', lol. I basically did everything i could think of to "test" to see if i could feel it. The only thing was, the little stem pinched a bit, so I have to trim that i guess. (would you suggest trimming the whole stem? or just half of it?)

Then I decided to try removal...eep, this was interesting. I have read the threads here about all the interesting little things that go on when using a menstral cup, but it definately did not prepare me for the sounds that were going to come from that thing losing its suction!(i had all i could do to not burst out laughing at the first little squeege ). So it hurt a little bit trying to get the cup out, mostly because of the suction i think, it reminded me kind of like a bottle of lotion. you know how you squeeze the bottle and the lotion releases, but when you let go if you're not careful it will suck all the lotion back up? Well, it definately felt like the cup was sucking me back in...so thats going to take some more practice!

When i finally got it out, it was so slippery that it flew out of my hand. NOW i understand completely what you said about how the cup can just go flying (and dont worry, i was sure to wash it after it hit the floor!)

So all is good, no blood this time...thank goodness! I'll definately have to invest in some more time and more lube for practice Thanks so much!!!
-Faeryprinces

RumpusParable
Activist

posted 04-12-2004 03:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RumpusParable     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
something that might make you feel a bit better about the one bit: when it has blood in it, it doesn't make as much (usually none for me, but sometimes) of the squeegy noises.

only time i get those is when i remove it and have little or no blood/fluids in it -like when i use it on a day i'm expecting my period, but it doesn't show up, or when i'm just bleeding a tiny bit at the end.

something additional about angling: i've found that for me, when putting it in i need to angle and slide in downwards first to get past the tissue at the very opening of my vagina, then once past that sliding it upwards and back goes fine. if you're problems are at the entranceway, some fiddling with such things should find what your body likes...

i suggest with the stem trimming it a bit, putting it in, moving and seeing if it's poking or if you just feel friction. if it's poking, trim a little bit more and try again until it stops. i was told to take some rough cloth like denim or such after i got it the length that didn't poke me and rub the cut edges so that they are less sharp/straight (basically file them smooth). this made a difference in comfort. after getting rid of poking, the smoothing did away with any last bits of noticeability.

logic_grrl
Advocate

posted 04-13-2004 01:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for logic_grrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
it just went right in!

Yay!

quote:
So it hurt a little bit trying to get the cup out, mostly because of the suction i think,

I've found that the trick is to bear down with your muscles then grab the end of the cup itself (not the tab) and pinch it. That breaks the suction.

quote:
would you suggest trimming the whole stem? or just half of it?

The stem doesn't have any essential function at all - it's just there to help you find the end of the cup and get you past that initial "Ohmigod it's lost forever!" panic .

So once you're feeling confident with inserting and removing it, feel free to trim off as much of the stem as you need to to get comfy.

RumpusParable's advice about trimming a bit, trying it again, and trimming more if you need to is very wise.

Faeryprinces
Activist

posted 04-27-2004 11:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Faeryprinces     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
So, I thought I would update some..hehe

Yesterday was my first day with my divacup and actually having my period. This little things is SO easy. I cant tell I have it in, I even slept with it in last night, no leaks! It's amazing...I will never ever wear a pad or tampon again..lol Now I sound like an infomercial. But hey, its good stuff!

I havent had any problems getting it in...the first time getting it out was a little different, but I'm still learning . hehe Other than that, no problems what so ever!!

Thanks for all your help, I'm so glad there's a special thread for this, it is so so SO helpful!!

RumpusParable
Activist

posted 04-28-2004 08:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RumpusParable     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
congrats! am so glad to hear you like it so well and that it's working good for you

Silvertree
Neophyte

posted 04-30-2004 06:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Silvertree     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
...just to add...

I have been using a Mooncup for ages now, they are FANTASTIC, they changed my periods so much because now I don't have to worry about leaking or having to change all the time, they don't irritate and I don't have to worry about the dangers of tampons.

School only ever taught us about commmersial tampons and pads, I didn't know any differant untill I started to research, found all the alternatives and discovered all the dangers about tampons, as well as started to research more into womens sexual health.

They have changed my life so much I am now a Menstrual activist, I do a lot of work publicising the 'alternatives' like cups, cloth pads, Natracare and sponges as well as try to educate more women of the dangers and issues involved with menstrual products and ALL the choices open to them.

Unfortanatly there are a lot of people so stuck in their ways they are not only unwilling to listen but will attack me and my information regardless of what I say and I have found many forums which have a problem with the information. However the more people who know about products like this the better, it's worth the effort!!!

mary_n
Neophyte

posted 05-17-2004 04:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mary_n     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi, All Would you believe I joined this group just to post on this topic. The main site is HUGE! I hope I can check it all out somtimes.

Is everyone still enjoying their divacup / mooncup / keeper?

I bought a divacup and have been trying it on a dry run. I wish I could be like some of you who have to check if it's in! Mine pinches a little. I've cut off most of the stem, and have tried to file off any edges left. Also once I was taking it out and forgot to break the suction first. OUCH! It's like I was sucking my insides out!! Anyway, I hope it actually works better when I really do use it. This menstrual cup idea is SO much better than pads or tampons, but if it doesn't work, I'll either have to go back to them, or schedule a yearly check up and get another prescription for Depo-provera (birth control you get as a shot once every three months, stops your periods).

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen