Tampons/Pads?? (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Tampons/Pads??
Ashleigh W
Activist

posted 03-28-2001 08:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ashleigh W     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Got the itching desire to know...which is your preference?? Tampons or pads??

*Personally* tampons...i have to look at myself in front of a mirror, or a camera everyday...and i dun need a third buttcheek...thanx neways tho...lol...only pads at night...and thats cause i hafta.

-Ashie

IP: Logged

Claire
Activist

posted 03-29-2001 01:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Claire     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
umm yeha i love tampons their so comfy and you cant feel them at all i wear pads to bed cause of tss or sumthing like that mum told me to and shes a doctor so i trust her but pads are really really eugh.
i feel like im a wearing a nappy and they leak and do all kinds of horrible stuff
i know with my friends about four of them only like pads or five im not sure but me and my friend are devoted to tampons and cant stand pads and my other fried cant put a tampon in without an applicater cause she thinks theyre really yukky and just cant do it . im not sure why shell do just about anything else. really adventurous.
aww well ive put in my say.

Love Claire

Alaska
Sexpert

posted 03-29-2001 01:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alaska     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use non applicator, pure cotton non-chlorine bleached tampons. But I still have my heart set on trying The Keeper one fine day.... (slow down, US economy, slow down! LEt the Dollar rate go down!)

LilBlueSmurf
Sexpert

posted 03-29-2001 07:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use both.

My period came twice in two weeks this month, and i had run out of pads. So i just used tampons. I rarely ever do that b/c i like to switch back and forth ... It seems like a good thing to do.

I use non applicator tampons most of the time. They just seem to fit better that way!

Miz Scarlet
Sexpert

posted 03-29-2001 07:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Miz Scarlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Do bear in mind that as much as the mass market would prefer we think otherwise, you do have more choices in menstrual care than disposable tampons or pads.

Don't let yourself get locked into choices consumer culture tries to make for you. make your own! So, to be sure everyone DOES know, your choices include:

- mass-produced tampons
- organic cotton tampons
- mass-produced pads
- organic cotton pads
- washable pads
- menstrual sponges
- Instead
- The Keeper
- and whatever else you can dream up

LOTS of options.

(And for myself, I use either washable pads, mesntrual sponges, or organic cotton tampons when I need them)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

bettie
Sexpert

posted 03-29-2001 07:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bettie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am combo kind of gal. I use my Keeper on medium flow days when I am outside the house. At home I wear these great cotton washable pads. One of them has cats on them. What a hoot!

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Lin
Activist

posted 03-29-2001 11:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use pads most of the time because I have had dreadful leaking experiences with tampons.

But I am searching for those wonderful menstrual sponges still.

And unfortunately, I haven't been able to find organic tampons and pads around here. And I have looked everywhere. This is very upsetting.

Ashleigh W
Activist

posted 03-29-2001 04:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ashleigh W     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
heh-fer those of you dat don kno...i *was* a model *gave it up* so i pretty much had no choice but to use tampons...wif skimpy swimsuits...yes. LOL..thats the way i learned it!

Mophead
Activist

posted 03-29-2001 04:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mophead     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'd like to try the keeper, but being income-free, I have to wait until I get some of my own money. Sigh. I hate being 16 and poor.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus
________
masterbating is what the MASTERS do.

Milke
Activist

posted 03-29-2001 07:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Keeper! It's muchcheaper in the long run, but alas, the initial investment seems like so much.

Ella
Activist

posted 03-30-2001 11:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ella     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I used to use a combo of tampons and pads. Put a tampon in in the morning and then also wear a pad, so I wouldn't have to carry anything around and just could take out the tampon at lunchtime. When I was on the swimtean I loved tampons cause they let you keep swimming. Generally now, I wear pads, because there's no leakage worries. Personally, while at first you notice them, they aren't a big deal. I've used both applicator and non-applicator tampons, and they both seem about the same. I just find pads more comfy.

On the keeper thing, why don't you save a little each month (like $5) it's only say $40 american, so you could get one in around 8 months. I know it's a long time. Or you could ask your parents and then explain how much more economical it is. I wouldn't use the keeper again because of the issues with leaking. With tampons and I'd assume the keeper I always felt I should wear a pad too, just in case, my own neurotic tendencies

ScarleteenGrl15
Neophyte

posted 03-30-2001 03:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ScarleteenGrl15     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
yeah i saw a pic of that Keeper thing and it looks like it hurts to put in. I mean ive had sex but im still a little girl....whats up with that thingy? definately not up my coochie! im stickin wit tampoons

Milke
Activist

posted 03-30-2001 03:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You fold the Keeper twice, so it's a lot smaller than it looks, trim the end of completely (most comfortable, and it's not really necessary anyway), and just slide it in. One major advantage it's got over tampons is that it's not absorbent, so it doesn't feel all draggy-painful to remove, and won't dry you out too much. It's also not going to scratch little cuts into you, and it's not going to do that nasty cervix-poking thing, which usually doesn't last long, but is quite painful (you know, what happens, when you push the applicator). Initially, it's a little bit of work to put in, but using a water-based lubricant helps immensely, and you can keep it in for up to twelve hours; much longer than any tampon. I realise the colour's ugly, but at least it means there's no bleach in it!

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 03-30-2001 10:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i'm padded. i buy the big boxes of 96 Kotex mattresses at Costco a couple of times a year.

but i was recently asked why i don't try tampons. used to be that i had a fear od sticking anything up there, but that logic doesn't really hold anymore since i am sexually active. oh well, i just don't.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Alaska
Sexpert

posted 03-31-2001 01:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alaska     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
*lol* Ella - Mop and I might start a Keeper savings team then!

My prob really is that the $ rate is so crappy at the mo. With international postage, the Keeper is about 40$ and....with the currect exchange rate, that makes about 90 DM (German Marks) for which I can quite easily purchase about 23 packs of my fave tampons. *lol*

But come my next money spell (after my participation in "Who wnats to be a Millionaire" *lol*) I shall indeed purchase one.

Lin
Activist

posted 03-31-2001 03:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lin     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
But come my next money spell (after my participation in "Who wnats to be a Millionaire" *lol*) I shall indeed purchase one.

One honey? You should get one for every Scarleteener if you do get a million bucks. I shall be awaiting mine.

Alaska
Sexpert

posted 03-31-2001 04:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alaska     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ROFL, Lin.

So the main things going of from my anticipated win would be:

*a first class flight with SIA to Melbourne
*donating some mo to Scarleteen so that our gorgeous, clever, lovable Miz could get a break sometimes
*buying "Keepers" for all those of the 3194 Scarleteeners currently registered that identify as female....hm...I would prolly get a pretty damn good priece if I purchased 2500 (or whatever - how many females are here?) Keepers at the same time.

LMAO. Good idea.

Celtic Daisy
Advocate

posted 03-31-2001 02:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Celtic Daisy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well, i've been using pads ever since i started but very recently i decided to try out tampons. I'm really small, 4'11, and i've heard tampons are more uncomfortable for smaller women. Well, yes they are. Actually, it hurt a little after a while. So, i'm a pad user. They may be a little uncomfortable, but they fell a whole lot better than tampons.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

saunchapanza
Neophyte

posted 04-04-2001 06:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for saunchapanza     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well I have had my period for about 2 years, but the only thing my mom buys are pads, so thats what I use. Like CelticDaisy I'm really small and I heard tampons are all uncomfortable...is it true? Some of the previous people said stuff about applicators...I'm clueless about this stuff could someone explain?

Jessie
Neophyte

posted 04-04-2001 09:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jessie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i'm also quite petit but i use slim fit tampons and they are super comfy, can't even feel them!

mickey
Neophyte

posted 04-06-2001 08:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mickey     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
tampons cause they offer more protection than pads cause pads always leak! The first time i got my period i used a pad to sleep in and i woke up and lets just say it was not a pretty sight! Yuck!

Miz Scarlet
Sexpert

posted 04-06-2001 08:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Miz Scarlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Is it just as "yucky" if you cut yourself and bleed?

Really, there is nothing inherently "yucky" about menses.

LilBlueSmurf
Sexpert

posted 04-06-2001 03:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
When i first started my period i thought it was yucky too. But ya know what? I've had it for 4+ years, and now it's just as yucky as doing anything else (taking a poop, for example ... not fun, but it's a bodily function!). You get used to it.

I've heard that tampons aren't comfortable for smaller women, also. While the vagina is somewhat elastic, i think the length can vary. Ya know what i hate? When my tampon slides out! I have a cold and i had my period a few weeks ago ... when i would cough, my muscles contract and push the tampon down. What a pain in tha butt that was ... !!

Ahh ... i'm just venting

mickey
Neophyte

posted 04-07-2001 01:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mickey     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i just ment that it was yucky because it was all over my bed sheets and i wasn't expcting it! I didn't mean to insult anyone!!

Jemima
Neophyte

posted 04-07-2001 02:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jemima     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I have found for myself that the Instead product was bad. For me atleast. I got it in quite alright, but taking it out was a horrible. I was at my dorm room bathroom and could not get it out. I came out of the bathroom and explained this to my boyfriend, in a bit of a panic since I had been trying for a few minutes to remove it. We went to his place since he had a private bathroom. I could not get it out! I was so paniced I had to ask him to help. He removed it! (This raised our comfort level quite a few notches!) Well, blood went everywhere. What a mess. That was my first and last Instead cup. If I made such a mess in private, what would happen in public with it? Well, for others it may work, but not me.
Is The Keeper like the Instead cup?
For whoever was looking for organic tampons and such, just search online for them. I found lots of sights for safer feminine proucts when I was looking. Also, natural food stores carry things like that. Good Luck.

Milke
Activist

posted 04-07-2001 09:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
The Instead cup's a good idea, but I find the thing's just too wide, and that means it doesn't stay in place too well. The Keeper's narrower, longer, and I've never managed to get it in wrong, or had it shift around at all, though the Instead can pop out quite easily.

Camzie13
Activist

posted 04-10-2001 08:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Camzie13     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I am a TOTAL mixer girl. I just use whatever is around the house (there are 4 girls in the family)....non applicator, cardboard applicator, plastic applicator and of course...pads. I like to use tampons during the day ( more comfy 4 school) and pads 4 nighttime and at home. I have pet peeves 4 all though. non applicator- my finger is involved, cardboard, hard to get in, plastic, bad for the enviro, and pads-wet pants....also....the nighttime pads leaked once, and it ruined my bed sheets (grrrrr) well...gtg...and also...small women usin tampons-my sis is like 5'0, and i am 5'2, and we both find them comfy

**Ice queen
Neophyte

posted 04-11-2001 12:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for **Ice queen     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well i use pads because last time i tried tampons, it hurt to insert them..Can i do anything about that?

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 04-11-2001 12:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
IceQueen, you might want to try lubricating the tip of the tampon before insertion. And angle it slightly so the tip is pointed toward the small of your back. If that doesn't work, maybe see a gynecologist in case your hymen is still intact.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

cuddleslut
Activist

posted 04-12-2001 08:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cuddleslut     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I would use tampons. In fact, I want to use them. But I can't, because I have TSS, meaning that if I do use them the bacteria in them will react with some chemical in me, and cause immense stomach pains/groin pains. My mom tried them once when she was younger (tss is generally genetic) and she had to go to the hospital. My doctor said that there is a 95% chance that I have it, too, and I'd rather not take that chance. But it's okay. I can live with pads...it would just be nice to explore all other options.
Oh well.

------------------
you wanna be just like me, i wish i could be myself
you wanna be just like me,
i can't think of no one else...
-Reel Big Fish

Milke
Activist

posted 04-12-2001 08:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
TSS is genetic? That's not something I've ever heard before. I do know that TSS can breed in tampons, and can even be fatal, but I've never understood it to be something you had that remained dormant until you used tampons.

Diva2000
Activist

posted 04-13-2001 01:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Diva2000     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use tampons all the time. I started to use them because I am a swimmer and I'd used them just during practice and meets. But then I got used to them and I found the pads to be uncomfortable and diaper-like.

Ruth
Neophyte

posted 04-16-2001 01:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ruth     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I used pads for several year because tampons used to hurt me and were really uncomfortable to wear when I sat down. Now that I've grown somewhat, I've been using tampons exclusively -- I got tired of the pads slipping and blood ending up on my clothing.

Tampons are awesome -- I would like to try out menstrual sponges sometime in the future, but for now just give me my Playtex Gentle Glides and I'll be a happy girl!

--Ruth

Princess 29
Neophyte

posted 04-16-2001 02:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Princess 29     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I started out using pads, but I wear swimsuits alot and tampons much easier. I'm also small (5'1) but I've never experienced any real problems using tampons..in the beginning, I used the smallest tampax I could find, I think they were 'light' (the purple writing). Now I can use just about anything. As with anything, learning to use tampons takes time, but they work well for me. Also, using a bit of lube helps out alot when you're just beginning - but please, please, please avoid any scented body lotions. They really irritate much more than they help, even though they appear to be slippery.

saunchapanza
Neophyte

posted 04-24-2001 07:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for saunchapanza     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Okay, maybe its just me, but recently I tried to put a tampon in. There wasn't anywhere to put it! It went in like half an inch then it started hurting. is there somethin wrong w/me ?

Country Girl
Activist

posted 04-24-2001 11:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Country Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If you don't get it the first time, try try again!!! Gosh, it took me YEEEEAAARRRS to master tampons but when I did a few months ago (at 19...erg...), it was like one of the biggest accomplishments of my personal life.... They shout freedom!!! I CAN MOVE! lol

If you are having trouble with them, relax and keep trying. Being tense does not help. And DON'T stop halfway...that REALLY hurts (been there, done that). Believe it or not, once the tip is in, it slides in fairly horizontal when you are sitting on the toilet. Took me a while to figure that out....

A satisfied tampon user

Milke
Activist

posted 04-25-2001 03:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Inserting a tampon can be really paimful if you're not bleeding a lot, because there's no lubrication then. It's not really harmful, just sort of nasty, and a bit of water-based lubricant might really help.

daydreamer
Neophyte

posted 05-11-2001 06:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for daydreamer     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
TAMPONS TAMPONS TAMPONS!!! I dont need it to look like I craped myself do I???

Milke
Activist

posted 05-11-2001 07:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Daydreamer, HUH?

skaterdansgirl469
Neophyte

posted 05-19-2001 11:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for skaterdansgirl469     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i like tampons, i mean they are just so simple and easy. and they are easiet to manage, exspecially when you are in school and you need one they are easier to hide and pass than a pad. they are actully quite comfy. i wear mine with a panty liner just in case i dont have time to do a quick change and it starts to leak!

------------------
sex is not the answer, yes is the answer, sex is the question!

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen