Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Safer Sex & Birth Control
  Depo

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Depo
ThunderCloud16
Activist

posted 02-12-2003 12:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ThunderCloud16     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the depo shot? I have been told that it will help prevent geting pregnant and stop your periods, is that true? Also, are there only certain people who can get the shot or can any female get it?

IP: Logged

vball girl12
Activist

posted 02-12-2003 01:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for vball girl12     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This topic probably should be in Safer Sex and Birth Control, but I'm gonna related my experiences with Depo anyhow. Just a warning: this is my experience with it, and what I experience may not be what you experience.

That said, I've been on Depo-Provera since August, and have had one incidence of very light spotting (i.e. just enough to wear a pantyliner) since then. However, I've gained a significant amount of weight--35 lbs. since then, and I'm now struggling to get my weight under control, since I was overweight to begin with. Depo is about 99% effective, and you have to get the shots every three months. It has been known to cause anxiety/depression, and I've noticed an increase in my anxiety (I suffer from an anxiety disorder, and am currently on anti-depressants for it). Another negative aspect of Depo is that if you have adverse reactions, you're stuck with them, since you have to wait until the hormones are out of your system, in contrast to the pill, where if you have adverse reactions you can simply stop taking the pill. All in all, I'm somewhat satisfied with Depo-Provera, however if I gain more weight with it, or continue to suffer from increased anxiety, I will consider switching back to the birth control pill or condoms.

marlborogirl
Neophyte

posted 02-12-2003 01:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for marlborogirl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
before you make a choice to be on depo provera, look it up in yahoo, i was on it for a month and didn't like it at all, so i switched back to the pill. make sure you know what you want before picking it.

KittenGoddess
Sexpert

posted 02-12-2003 01:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KittenGoddess     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Please do try running a search, we've got lots of topics about Depo around here.

Aside from that, do remember too that you should discuss it with your doctor. Your doctor may know more about your body and history and be better able to predict whether or not Depo is a safe/good idea for you.

Imho, it's best to address this with your doctor by saying, "I'm interested in starting a form of hormonal birth control. I've researched _____ (insert your chosen method) and think that it might fit best with my lifestyle and needs right now. What is your opinion about this?" That's a whole lot better than running in there bound and determined to have Depo when it's possible that you may find out that you may not be able to take Depo (or whatever other form of birth control you're wanting). Also, I'd suggest that you check out this list of questions to ask your doctor. Print them out and take them along if you want to so that you make sure you understand how your medication works BEFORE you begin taking it.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 02-12-2003).]

entropie
Activist

posted 02-12-2003 11:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for entropie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Moving to Safer Sex & Birth Control

Alaska
Sexpert

posted 02-12-2003 11:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alaska     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
for some reliable info on depo, check outPlanned Parenthood: Depo Provera for you

however, just like kitto said, the final decision can only be made by your doc (after (s)he has heard your history) and yourself.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen