Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Safer Sex & Birth Control
  Depo Provera

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Depo Provera
SweeeetnSexy
Neophyte

posted 12-03-2002 10:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SweeeetnSexy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey, Im just looking for some "Inside information"! If anyone out there on depo could just answer thse questions according to their own experiences. First of all, compared to most shots, how painful is this one? And also, did anyone notice any negative side effects like weight gain or anything else? Ive talked to my doctor and I already have a prescription for it I would just be interested to know a little bit more first hand about it. (Or second hand actually)! Thanks guys!

------------------
Take my advice, I never use it anyway!

IP: Logged

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 12-03-2002 11:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
SEARCH keywords "depo provera"

That's right, click that link and type in "depo provera" and it'll turn up a lot of helpful things including user horror stories, lists of side effects, and praise for the shots.

Me personally, i'm not a fan of DP because my friend's sister got pregnant while she was on it and was 7 months along before she found out. In that time, she had already gotten three shots. the baby came out okay, though. But there are plenty of folks who think DP is good, so hit that SEARCH and read all about it

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

SweeeetnSexy
Neophyte

posted 12-03-2002 11:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SweeeetnSexy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks... sorry I had a major mind blank, I totally didnt think of that untill like two minutes after I posted my message! Sorry for the inconvienence but thanks anyway, Ive found out alot!

ShlupQuack
Neophyte

posted 12-12-2002 04:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ShlupQuack     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Just to add my two cents:

I've been on DP for almost two years, and I think it's just great. The shot itself is tiny and doesn't hurt at all, but your arm will probably feel bruised for a couple of days.

I went through random bleeding and spotting like normal (for about 4 months), and for about the first year I would have a very light period for up to 15 days at the end of the three months.

I've gained quite a bit of wieght... but that's probably only partially because of the shot. It's worth it though, since now I only worry about birth control four times a year. I believe it's 99.7% effective... if I recall correctly.

The only complaint that I would have about it is that since the bleeding has stopped completely, my sex drive seems to be a bit low, and my body has a bit of trouble getting aroused sometimes. That could also be a side-effect of my weight gain though.

Let us know how the shot works out for you once you get it, huh? It's always nice to hear another point-of-view.

[This message has been edited by ShlupQuack (edited 12-12-2002).]

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen