Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Safer Sex & Birth Control
  Depo Provera Shot??

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Depo Provera Shot??
Lime_Salty
Neophyte

posted 08-06-2002 05:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lime_Salty     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Okay- I have a co-worker on Depo Provera- which is a birth control shot- where u dont get your period or anything- it osunds really great- but I'm just afraid to ask my doctor about it- would there be any way to get it without letting my parents know? any suggestions? Im only 16- and my friend who has it is 20 so she cant help me.

IP: Logged

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 08-06-2002 10:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Your primary care physician is probably your best bet to get Depo Provera because he/she knows your medical history best and would probably have a better idea of how your body would react to it than a different doctor. Depo Provera has a lot of side effects and they vary *wildly* between women (some women bleed *more* than they did without instead of having their periods go away). imho, i'm not big on Depo Provera because research has shown it isn't as effective for contraception -- i know someone whose DP failed and she was still getting shots at 6 months of pregnancy before she found out she was carrying a child (luckily, the baby was free of any defects).

But plenty of people are perfectly happy on Depo Provera. You can go to Planned Parenthood and get checked up to see if it's right for you. The visit is confidential.

DP has been discussed many times. Just search "Depo Provera" and you'll get tons of results and advice.

------------------
"In God we trust. All others must pay cash..." faw-choon kookie say.

IP: Logged

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen