Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Safer Sex & Birth Control
  where's your favorite place to buy safer sex supplies?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   where's your favorite place to buy safer sex supplies?
ErinK
Advocate

posted 02-07-2002 07:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ErinK     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I thought I'd start a thread on where people are getting their safer sex supplies (and note that one can order them from the Scarleteen Shop, of course!)

If I'm not ordering safer sex supplies online, I tend to buy condoms and lube at the local Wal*Mart -- they actually have a fairly good range of brands (Durex, Inspirals, and the oft-derided Trojans) including colored, flavored, and larger ring size condoms. They also have lubes other than K-Y, including the scarlteen favorite, Astroglide! They also have latex gloves. They don't have dental dams, though, which is kind of a shame.

I've also shopped for condoms, dams, and lube at sex stores, including toys in babeland out in Seattle.

So, where do you go to get your safer sex stuff?

Erin

IP: Logged

ookuotoe
Advocate

posted 02-07-2002 08:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ookuotoe     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ooh...Meijers! It's very similar to Wal-Mart but I believe that it's more of a Michigan thing than a national chain. However, it's open 24 hours a day and it has provided me with everything in my safer sex kit.

------------------
There is a time and a place for everything.

ICQ# 146582840

Zae~Zae
Activist

posted 02-08-2002 09:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Zae~Zae     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
CVS (Pharmarcy) and Wal-Mart and K-Mart (because they have a self check-out area, so the cashiers won't be giving me any dirty looks ) Mostly my partner takes care of that.

PoetgirlNY
Activist

posted 02-08-2002 10:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for PoetgirlNY     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
When I'm not getting freebies, I'll go to Toys in Babeland when I can. The only thing that I buy at a regular store is gloves. I found a cheepie medical supplies store that sells both latex and vinyl gloves in bulk for very little money. They come powder-free in a range of sizes.

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 02-08-2002 11:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
y'know, four years in the same town, and i haven't figured out where my nearest Wal*Mart is. I don't even think there is one within 20 miles of here.

I buy my Astroglide at Target. It's cheapest there (about $8 for a 5oz bottle). But I don't buy condoms there because they're all locked up in a cabinet. if a cabinet lock is able to deter *me* from buying my safer sex supplies, then imagine how many others are turned off from buying them there, too. for that reason, i implore Target of El Cerrito to ditch the stupid cabinet!
I buy my condoms at Longs Drugs (on northside Shattuck Ave.). They're reasonably inexpensive there (compared to Walgreens anyway).

And when i'm feeling in the mood, and I have some time on my hands, I treat myself to a trip to Good Vibrations.

Sometimes, I get pretty good deals on condoms in bulk by shopping online. I don't know if the site I liked to use is still around, though.

------------------
straddle the fine line between profundity and profanity...

glitter695
Activist

posted 02-08-2002 03:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for glitter695     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I work at a supermarket so my boyfriend and I just buy our condoms and safe sex supplys there. We arent embarrassed if our friends see anything. I actually think that it makes my boyfriend feel good (a manley man!!!)! hehe. But it doesnt bother me, like it used to.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Heather Corinna

kythryne
Advocate

posted 02-08-2002 04:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kythryne     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I usually get condoms for free at the health department; they pass out big bags of Durex condoms, usually the non-spermicidally lubed ones. I used to get birth control pills there too, for about $15 every three months.

I buy gloves and cling wrap at Walmart most of the time, and I get lube at a local sextoy shop, since Walmart usually doesn't carry Astroglide.

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

ErinK
Advocate

posted 02-08-2002 06:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ErinK     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You can't find astroglide at your Walmart, kythryne? I can always find it at mine... Weird.

erin

Lady Moonlight
Activist

posted 02-09-2002 09:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lady Moonlight     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I avoid Walmart as much as possible, so locally I buy from Target. I've just recently discovered the joys of Astroglide, though (no more K-Y for me!), and I'm not sure our local Target carries it.

In late March I'm visiting my sister in Oakland, and a trip to Good Vibrations is definitely on my to-do list while I'm there!

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 02-10-2002 12:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Lady Moonlight, if you see a stack of ST fliers at Good Vibes, you'll know who put them there

------------------

rekling
Activist

posted 02-10-2002 01:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rekling     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
wow.
i'm *so* glad i work at a center that sells *tons* of safer sex supplies at-cost.
i don't believe in going to walmart (in fact, i've never been in one!).

when i'm not at school or at a youth center that has free stuff, i buy sex toys and the ocasional exciting new condom or lube sample at Toys in Babeland. and a bunch of my stuff comes from Condomania (http://www.condomania.com), my former employer.

-rek

PoetgirlNY
Activist

posted 02-10-2002 02:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PoetgirlNY     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Do you need a credit card to buy things from the Scarleteen shop?

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 02-11-2002 07:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ooh. seems like a popular place to get safer sex supplies is my *lab*! that's right, i saw a guy at the other end of the bench furtively gathering large rubber gloves and putting them in his backpack.

not that anyone really cares about someone nicking gloves from the lab. however, if this is how you choose to procure gloves (for safer, better manual sex), make sure the box is new and you're not working with any toxic or dangerous chemicals that day. today we weren't working with anything particularly hazardous. but i forgot to get some for myself!

------------------

ErinK
Advocate

posted 02-11-2002 08:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ErinK     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Heh.

My partner Allan's mom tends to bring home latex gloves from work (she's a labor and delivery nurse) so, needless to say, if allan and I are visiting his parents we don't lack for them...

(She uses them for crafting, planting, and cleaning; she says she's so used to doing stuff with them on that it really doesn't bother her to use them.)

If you've got a latex allergy, you can use nitrile gloves -- one of my partners has those for working with epoxy and also for safer sex.

Erin

morganlh85
Activist

posted 02-12-2002 04:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for morganlh85     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Always Walmart...it's way cheaper than other stores and they have a good selection.

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen