Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Sex Basics and Sexual Health
  Why Do Some Girls Period Smell While Some Others Dont?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Why Do Some Girls Period Smell While Some Others Dont?
*~alexis~*
Neophyte

posted 11-14-2004 03:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for *~alexis~*     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I wanted to know because most girls period smells like fish but mines doesn't! It actually smells pleasnt like me!

I think if your period stinks it means that YOU Stink! Oh its just my pad not me is no excuse. If any odor comes from your period than it simply means you have a nasty vagina!

Basically if your period stinks well you know.....you are not certified for oral sex what the 411 oh this question though?

IP: Logged

logic_grrl
Advocate

posted 11-14-2004 03:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for logic_grrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Vaginas don't normally smell "like fish" unless they have an infection (like bacterial vaginosis, a pretty common infection which you can get from simple stuff like wiping the wrong way).

However, everybody's period is going to smell like blood - there's no way round that one! Whether you think the smell is pleasant or not is up to you, but it ain't ever going to smell of roses.

And none of this has anything to do with whether someone has a body odor problem otherwise, let alone having a "nasty vagina".

MarvellousPurple
Activist

posted 11-14-2004 03:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MarvellousPurple     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
First, we're really not into calling vaginas "nasty," here, no matter what their condition. Yeah, they can be unclean, but it happpens.

Periods generally just don't smell that much on their own. Yeah, it differs from person to person, but menses on their own don't really smell that much--unless they've been sort of sitting around for a while, like on a pad or tampon. Also, chemicals in most commercial pads/tampons can make odors worse, not better.

Also, people smell. It's part of being human: you have an odor. Of course, there are all sorts of products out there to make you smell like honey vanilla musk or fresh flowers or whatnot, but the fact remains: people smell. And that's ok.

Also, whether or not someone's period smells really has nothing to do with whether they're "certified" for oral sex--not that you can be certified for oral sex anyway. I mean, who's going to certify you? I envision a high school gym teacher going over paper application and giving them a big red "APPROVED" stampe.

Anyway, it's really very nice for you that your period doesn't smell. Generally, as long as someone changes their pads/tampons/what have you in due time, periods won't smell. And that's the "411."

------------------
I can count to purple backwards!

*~alexis~*
Neophyte

posted 11-14-2004 08:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for *~alexis~*     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Okay I heard your 411 and thank you.
But you said there was no such things as a nasty vagina? Maybe not to you but you mean to say if someones vagina stinks like hell that its not nasty? Oh please I know you guys worship the vagina and all but COME ON! If a vagina stinks like fish then it flat out nasty! yeah you were right everybodys vagina and body has a smell to it. Mines happen to smell clean meaning no fishy smell But I know some people who vagina basically stink! and you dont have to have an infection to have a stinky vagina it can just stink cause thats the way your body is. Not everybody is blessed with a nice smelling vagina like mine! Plus no boy wants to give oral sex to a girl who's vagina smells like garbage. You go and ask a guy would he eat out a girl that vagina stinks! He would say NO! Meaning she's not certified for oral sex because of her stinky vagina odor! Face it nobody wants to eat out a stink vagina. If your vagina "stank"! your doomed! Thats my 411! peace..............

celery
Activist

posted 11-14-2004 09:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for celery     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You seem a little full of yourself... we kind of got the picture that you're vagina apparently smells wonderful... doesn't need to be said 5 times. Apparently you know people that have "nasty stinky vaginas"?

Have you smelled them yourself? If not whats the deal with putting other people down? You don't need to keep saying that vaginas that stink are nasty. Vaginas aren't odourless get over it. Who are you to say who does and doesn't deserve/ isn't 'certified' for oral sex??

wobblyheadedjane
Advocate

posted 11-14-2004 09:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'd like to point out for the record that any kind of smell or taste at all is a moot point if you use barrier methods like you're supposed to for oral sex.

starlet
Activist

posted 11-14-2004 09:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for starlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You'd be surprised... I know plenty of guys who will perform oral sex on a girl regardless of her "nasty", as you would put it, smell down there.
And just because someone's period smells doesn't mean that their vagina is "nasty". Maybe they don't smell like that all the time.
And everyone's opinion on what is "nasty" and what isn't is different. Just because one person or even twenty people tell you that something is or isn't "nasty" doesn't mean that everyone will feel the same way.

------------------
.:*starlet

Miz Scarlet
Sexpert

posted 11-14-2004 10:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Miz Scarlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Alexis, I try not to be this brusque on the boards, but sometimes it's called for.

In short, you're being an ass.

When a part of any person's body is ill -- like say, if you have the flu for a few days -- you'll note that indeed, the body tends to smell ill. The vagina and vulva are body parts like any other, so if they are ill (or, obviously, simply unwashed fr or some time) they will, as well, sometimes indeed smell. There are other reasons as well, none essentially natural: tampon fibers, certain cancers, etc.

And fancy this: an OB/GYN can, in many cases, identify certain types of infections -- even though there are many kinds -- by a scent because they all differ. For instance, bacterial, trichomoniasis or chlamydial infections can tend to smell fishy or metallic, while yeast infections can smell entirely different.

And much like say, the armpits of a person past puberty, or the inside of someone's mouth, when it's been even more than a few minutes since washing, certain parts of the body -- for EVERYONE -- do have distinsctive or stronger scents than others. So, while the vulva tends not to smell like, say, your forearm, because it is rather different, and DOES -- again, for everyone after puberty -- have a scent of it's own, it is neither fishy nor is it "like garbage" in ANY healthy woman. Ask your gynecologist when you get one.

Might I ask how many vulvas YOU have had your face in, up close and personal? (FYI: it's not only men who find themselves intimate with women's vulvas.) I'm going to take a gander that it's been absolutely none. I'm also going to take a wild leap and assume that you have an incredibly minimal amount of knowledge about reproductive physiology and accurate sexual health and information, based on a plethora of your posts. In fact, I'd be willing to bet with all this talk, you've yet to start the basic annual gynecologic healthcare that helps prevent infection -- and those dastardly smells! -- yourself.

So, until those things aren't the case, you need to cease talking out your wazoo here and making yourself sound, frankly, like an insecure and uninformed elementary school student who feels the need to trash other women to make yourself feel better for some inane reason.

Every woman with a healthy vulva and good general health does NOT smell like fish. Every woman, actually, who is healthy and engages in basic, regular hygeine IS indeed "blessed" with a healthy-smelling vulva. Just like you, apparently. Sorry to bust your bubble. Find a new, more accurate way to need to feel different. Might I suggest via a new, improved set of manners?

I'm closing this thread. Should you choose to post here again, in other threads or create new ones, I suggest you bear in mind that we expect users here to bring a little more maturity than this to the table.

[Note: This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet]

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen