Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Sex Basics and Sexual Health
  Astroglide vs. KY?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Astroglide vs. KY?
CrazyLove22
Activist

posted 01-26-2003 06:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyLove22     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What's the difference between Astroglide and KY? Which is better?
*I use KY for masturbation; I'm not sexually active with a partner*

IP: Logged

Ashy
Advocate

posted 01-26-2003 06:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ashy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
KY was designed for medical use, I believe, and Astroglide was actually intended for sexual activity. Astroglide offers free samples, so why not give it a go? Different people have different preferences, and there are tons of options (you can often get lube sampler packs from stores that specialize in sex-related goods) http://www.biofilm.com/about/index.html

Izzybella6
Activist

posted 01-31-2003 05:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Izzybella6     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If your'e old enough (and not too shy) i second the notion of going to sex related shop. there's one here on campus and they are more than happy to help you out. I've used both but stick to Astroglide because they're always throwing out samples on campus We students can be cheap little animals!

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 02-01-2003 07:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
if i haven't been misinformed, I was once told that Astroglide started as a lubricant for putting on diving wetsuits. it just happened that it was good for "other uses" too. I like Astroglide. Used KY, but didn't like it because it dries up into little black pills. yucky!

Lubrication (aka Lube)

What's lube and what brands of lube are good to try? http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/000044.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/000046.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/000047.html

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

jessakuh
Activist

posted 02-02-2003 06:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jessakuh     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
personally, i like astroglide better. Its much more slippery =]. KY after a while gets really sticky and messy in my opinion.

applet_jacks
Activist

posted 02-03-2003 03:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for applet_jacks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My friend Matt, who is a mechanical engineer major with a lot of interest in aerospace, told me that it was invented for a lubricant for a part on some space craft. He said that the guys mother had been complaining about dryness and that the guy who formulated the lube decided that since nothing in it was toxic, his mother should try it.

BTW gel forms like KY-jelly are kinda icky - yeast infections can occur from them because they clump up(previous personal experience).

KY also has some funny factual tidbits about it. One being that KY-jelly was what was used as alien saliva in the Alien movies with Sigourney Weaver.

Here is the link about astroglide's creation by the NASA scientist:
http://www.biofilm.com/about/index.html

[This message has been edited by applet_jacks (edited 02-03-2003).]

Alaska
Sexpert

posted 02-04-2003 10:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alaska     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I can only second that what lube one likes best is a matter of personal preference and what you want to use it for.

Most of the time, my partner's and my personal choice is Astroglide, because it lasts long, doesn't smell, and cleans up quite easily (even though we recently discovered it doesn't wash out of sheets in a cold cycle. oops.).
Other times, when we want a slicker, thicker texture, for example for anal play, our choice is pjur eros bodyglide.
I don't like gel-like lubes very much, i find that some smell rather medical (which might trigger images of being at work for my partner), and most are too sticky for my liking.

I wholeheartedly recommend trying out as many lubes as you can. - Nothing like going to a condom shop and rubbing as many lubes between your hands as possible!

And applet: hadn't head about ky dripping of aliens. funky.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

applet_jacks
Activist

posted 02-05-2003 08:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for applet_jacks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I watched a special on the making of the movie(s) and college people certainly react to words like KY. As much gunk as those aliens had, I am guessing that they hadto have 55 gallon drums of it and dunked them in it before each scene.

Alaska
Sexpert

posted 02-05-2003 10:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alaska     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by applet_jacks:
I am guessing that they had to have 55 gallon drums of it and dunked them in it before each scene.

...and now imagine someone having to clean up those gallons of ky once they had dripped off the aliens ....

he.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

applet_jacks
Activist

posted 02-05-2003 11:36 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for applet_jacks     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yeah a slippery mess, indeed, but not the worst on set. They also filmed with milk (as internal substances for the android) under those hot lights - ick It must have smelled like garbage can's behind an elementary school's cafeteria.

I also got a little information about Astroglide's background from their senior customer services manager, Kathy Geddes. This is what she said about the history:

Daniel Wray was working for a sub-contractor
in the aerospace industry in the late seventies/early 80's. He was
exploring different polymers and after a conversation with his mother (who
is an RN) came up with the Astroglide formulation. He then licensed it out
for several to a small company that launched the product, directing their
activities to adult novelty stores. Dan bought the license back in 1991 and
started BioFilm, Inc. His focus on medical professionals, traditional
retail and consumer awareness has brought us to this point. Astroglide was
really the first of it's kind in the liquid lubricant market. He really
started something! Now there are many to choose from, however, we feel that
Astroglide is still superior to the many "copy-cats" that have sprung up
over the years.

Her words, not mine. Oooo.. I don't know for what several ____'s he licensed it out for eiher. I am thinking money :S

[This message has been edited by applet_jacks (edited 02-05-2003).]

Shann2002
Activist

posted 02-06-2003 10:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shann2002     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
My boyfriend and I have always used KY. I have never noticed it getting sticky. Maybe I should check that out, but KY offers more than just the jelly. They have introduced the liquid form of the product, which works pretty well.

Milke
Activist

posted 02-06-2003 02:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If I recall right, there's an Astrogel, or something of the sort, Maximus, which is Liquid Silk's thicker incarnation, and Probe, which comes in two consistencies. So, just to note, if you'd prefer a variation on the texture of your lube, a number of types have it.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Danny says Relax.

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google