Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Sex Basics and Sexual Health
  tampons v. pads

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   tampons v. pads
Daydreamer24
Advocate

posted 11-13-2001 03:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Daydreamer24     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Which works best for you and why? I like tampons because it makes me feel like I'm not even on my period, and I feel more confident in public, and more comfortable. I also feel cleaner, and ya can't even feel 'em! If you haven't tried 'em, I recommend doing so.

------------------
Don't Mess with Texas

"Only in America, where we can dream as big as we want to."
-Brooks and Dunn

Life is not fair, a fair is a place you show cows

IP: Logged

Kasper
Activist

posted 11-13-2001 03:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kasper     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use pads. I dont get my period bad and its short, so they dont bother me. I tried tampons before, and I just could not get them in!

PrincessSweetnessJ
Activist

posted 11-13-2001 05:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PrincessSweetnessJ     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
when i first started my period i used pads cause tampons hurt. but after i had lost my virginity i switched to tampons. i like tampons better, it keeps my mind off my period i still hate my period

------------------
[img]http://www.plauder-smilies.de/smlove2.gif[/img] Love makes fools of us all!!!

BJadeT
Activist

posted 11-14-2001 06:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for BJadeT     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use pads because I can't be bothered with fraffing around 'down there' when I want to change-laziness and ridiculous squeamishness I guess! Also, my mum's paranoid about TSS.

I was going to try Natracare tampons but they are so expensive. I use the towels but they're a bit bulky, so I normally end up with one of the commercial brands, normally Bodyform although I have a problem with big businesses blah blah.

And by the way, believe it or not there's more than two options when it comes to 'menstrual management'. Of course, Scarleteen has a brilliant review of all the options-see On the Rag.

Ahh, life has never been the same since I learned how to do hyperlinks.

(Edited because I can't spell, type or put together coherent sentences)

------------------
You wanna save humanity, it's just the people you can't stand-John Lennon

Witness the infinite justice of the new century. Civilians starving to death whilst waiting to be killed.

Manky Confuddledness

[This message has been edited by BJadeT (edited 11-14-2001).]

BJadeT
Activist

posted 11-14-2001 06:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for BJadeT     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
And here come my linking capabilities again!

I just did a search on tampons and pads and found a similar thread in Sexual Health and Medicine. Here it is:
Tampons/Pads??

Wow.using the search function AND linking to an article. I am being a good girl today!

Alaska
Sexpert

posted 11-14-2001 07:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alaska     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
*pats BJadeT on the shoulder*

And what I've wanted to say for a little while anyway: gal, you've been posting some good advice lately.

Nocturnal Kitten
Activist

posted 11-14-2001 10:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nocturnal Kitten     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've always prefered pads. Much easier to check than tampons.

------------------
It took so long to remember just what happened.
I was so young and vestal then.

asalie
Neophyte

posted 11-15-2001 02:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for asalie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i find that both have their appropriate time during my period.

when i'm at home, lazing around, i just stick with the pads.

but when i'm out (at class, dinner, party, etc) i prefer tampons, because then i don't have to worry so much about things like "leakage" and whatnot. and the fact that you can hardly feel them.

another thing is, tampons aren't so great if you have a light flow. it sucks taking them out when they're almost totally dry. blah.

BJadeT
Activist

posted 11-15-2001 06:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for BJadeT     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Aww thanks Alska . You've no idea how much that means to me!

Star2be17
Activist

posted 11-16-2001 04:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Star2be17     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use pads cuz tampons kinda hurt me, and pads are more convenient.

I'd like to know if you can put some sort of lubrication on a tampon, like lotion or something, without it ruining the tampon or causing an infection. Would lotion in your vagina cause a yeast infection?

------------------
So you call this your free country?
Tell me why it costs so much to live.--3 Doors Down

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. --Chris Slater

emsily0
Advocate

posted 11-16-2001 04:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for emsily0     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i wouldn't put lotion on a tampon, that could probably create some bacteria-harboring conditions or some irritation. but a little water-based lube like astroglide or KY liquid would be just the thing.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

girlie*
Activist

posted 11-16-2001 09:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for girlie*     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
hey there....

well, i use tampons in almost all situations. pads make me feel like im wearing a big diaper that wont stay still! i dont feel comfortable in them.
those are just my thoughts though

------------------
-Morals only mean something if you stick by them when they are inconvenient for you-

XoXoGrl8
Activist

posted 11-17-2001 11:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for XoXoGrl8     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Tampons do have the risk of TSS but that is only if you abuse them by leaving them in and what not.

I personally use tampons until the last two days of my period, when it is hardly even there. I have periods that last a full week, and the start heavy most of the time so tampons are convienent for school,work, and cheerleading. Pads I wear to bed, but I hate them with a passion...I feel like a baby and I worry constantly about leaks.

Its all about different people and what they are involved in. I am very active so I need to have convience and worry-free care for my period.

------------------
-Ashli-

A kiss is just a kiss until you find the one you love, a hug is just a hug until you find the one you are thinking of, a dream is just a dream until you make it come true, love is just a word until it is proven to you

Zae~Zae
Activist

posted 11-17-2001 03:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Zae~Zae     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I prefer using tampons because of that cleaner feeling I have when using them. But tampons are not for everyone. There are other options.

CandyDreams123
Activist

posted 11-17-2001 03:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CandyDreams123     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I like tampons better because it makes em feel cleaner & I don't have to worry about leakage. I only use pads at night or if I'm staying at home, relaxing. But everytime I use one it gets all twisted for some reason & I sometime leak. DOes this every happen to anyone?

Milke
Activist

posted 11-17-2001 04:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use my menstrual cup, or a cloth pad, and would never go back to the conventional paper/rayon pads and tampons. My supplies are reusable, so rather than having to go out in the middle of the night to spend too much on tampons, having a cupboardful of boxes, and making piles of garbage, I just wash and use them over again.

Daydreamer24
Advocate

posted 11-17-2001 08:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Daydreamer24     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Milke, I checked out the other options on Scarleteen for "that time fo the month", but aren't menstrual cups big, hard to insert, and uncomfortable? And isn't it kind of nasty to take that out of your body and empty it? Hm..

------------------
Don't Mess with Texas

-Brooks and Dunn

PoetgirlNY
Activist

posted 11-17-2001 09:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PoetgirlNY     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I use a menstrual cup too. I love it. It's economical, environmentally-friendly, and easy to use. The first time I saw my menstrual cup when it arrived in the mail, I thought it looked huge. But really, it's not bigger than what can fit in my vagina with no problem. It just folds up to go in, and then unfolds once it's past the vaginal opening. It took a little bit of practice to get it in right, but once I had it figured out it was no problem. I can't feel it at all when it is in. I don't think it's nasty at all to take it out and empty it, because I'm just not squeemish about blood and my body. It's not a big deal at all. Actually, I like it. Tampons made me feel a bit removed from my body, like it was just something had to deal with, because I ever actually saw the menstrual fluid on its own. I feel much more connected with myself now.

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Milke
Activist

posted 11-17-2001 10:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You just fold the cup and pop it in, which can occasionally cause cramping, but it doesn't do that nasty cervix-jab thing that tampon applicators do, and pull it out when you want to empty it. I find it a lot more comfortable than any tampon, because it's non-absorbent, and therfore, doesn't isn't drying, and doesn't hurt when pulled out on light-flow days. I've also never had any irritation with one, and I have with tampons. It's not too wide, but it is shorter than applicator tampons, which makes it just about perfect.

Daydreamer24
Advocate

posted 11-18-2001 01:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Daydreamer24     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I thought the cup was a lot bigger than an applicator tampon. How do you pull it out?

------------------
Don't Mess with Texas

-Brooks and Dunn

Alaska
Sexpert

posted 11-18-2001 03:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alaska     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
That depends on the type of menstrual cup you use. If you use the one-use only Instead, you remove it like diaphragm.

The Keeper has bit of a "stem " (for lack of a better word) by which you remove it. Check out http://thekeeperstore.com/picture/ for a picture of it.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 11-18-2001).]

tasian
Neophyte

posted 11-19-2001 12:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for tasian     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Tampons all the way! :)
I love the barely-there feeling. Heh. I don't like a constant reminder that blood is pouring out of my body. Ick. And the diaper feeling is absolutely horrible!

I was wondering, how much does a tampon stretch your hymen? A noticeable amount? ...How much does it reduce pain during first time sex?

celery
Activist

posted 11-19-2001 10:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for celery     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey I like Tampons, but i usually wear pads because my period is always super heavy and im afraid its gonna gimme TSS or something lol.
Even though i use pads i HATE them they are so bulky and really big to carry around and at school its hard to put one in your pocket in class so you can go to the bathroom and change!!
and when im wearing a pad it always feels like everyone can see im wearing one and its weird!! and it feels so dirty tampons feels so much cleaner and are easier to dispose of!!
well thats my opinon

------------------
~!*#@!Ray-Ray!@#*!~

Daydreamer24
Advocate

posted 11-19-2001 12:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Daydreamer24     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
tasian-

Using tampons won't ease the pain of first-time sex. In fact, some women don't experience pain at all during first-time sex.

Using a tampon will stretch out your hymen, but your hymen may stretch from other normal activities like riding a bike as well.

Sexual Politics: Virginity aand Skin Deep: Female Sexual Anatomy will tell you all you need to know about your hymen! Hope that helped!

------------------
Don't Mess with Texas

-Brooks and Dunn

Alaska
Sexpert

posted 11-19-2001 12:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Alaska     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for linking to the articles, daydreamer.

Indeed, what matters far more than having used tampons in the past in order of making first intercourse feel good is lots of lube, taking time, making sure you are aroused and feeling safe and good about it all.
Many women don't have a hymen to start with, and well, even if you do, it doesn't mean you will have lots of pain when you have intercourse for the first time.

You really don't have to worry about stretching yourself out to make intercourse painfree.
Check out First Intercourse 101 for things that are far more helpful in making first intercourse good.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Daydreamer24
Advocate

posted 11-19-2001 02:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Daydreamer24     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
'Welcome, Alaska. Thanks for thanking me!

------------------
Don't Mess with Texas

boys and volleyball: my anti-drug

-Brooks and Dunn

**Blondie26**
Neophyte

posted 11-27-2001 08:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for **Blondie26**     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
TAMPONS all the way lol. Its just cleaner to me and makes me feel more confident. I rarely feel like i have my period when im wearing them. I used to swear by pads but my sport made it almost a necessity to wear one and ever since i tried it i feel cleaner and better about myself about my period.

DevilLady17
Neophyte

posted 11-30-2001 08:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DevilLady17     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Tampons win all the way!! When you wear a pad it makes you feel like you are waddeling when you walk.Plus i would rather not look like a penguin!!!!

~*Amanda*~

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen