Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Sex Basics and Sexual Health
  Dental Dams

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Dental Dams
Sweetheart
Neophyte

posted 07-23-2000 03:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sweetheart     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What is a dental dam...I've heard of them but never know what they are. There are some of us out here who are very uneducated

IP: Logged

Miz Scarlet
Sexpert

posted 07-23-2000 07:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Miz Scarlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A dental dam is a "sheet" of latex, the material most condoms are made of, and is made to be larnge enough to safely cover a woman's entire vulval area.

It is used as a barrier method for female oral sex to pprotect against disease.

Mophead
Activist

posted 07-23-2000 03:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mophead     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You can make one by cutting up a condom. Cut off the end, and then cut it down the length. But be careful not to make any other holes in it.

------------------
MASTURBATING IS NOT A CRIME

Uss69
Activist

posted 07-23-2000 04:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Uss69     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Can plastic wrap be used or will that cause problems?

Another question if your alergic to latex what other type of condomes are there?

bettie
Sexpert

posted 07-23-2000 07:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bettie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Plastic Wrap is a fine alternative. I prefer using a condom or a dental dam made of latex because of its texture, but as with anything, everyone can have a different preference.

If you are allergic to latex, you can use polyurethane condoms. The Reality female condom is made with polyurethane as is the Advanti male condom. However, I read that the Advanti condom has a higher breakage rate than regular latex condoms (Winks & Semans, 1997). Maybe Hanne or Miz Scarlet have more recent information.

Pixie69
Activist

posted 07-23-2000 09:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pixie69     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
how is this used? Like where do you put it? it just doesn't make sense in my head...

angelic-demon
Neophyte

posted 07-24-2000 09:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for angelic-demon     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It is important that if you are going to use saran wrap, dont use the microwave safe kind. One of the few usefull things I learned at my schools health calss is that it has little holes for letting the steam out in the microwave that STDs can get through. SO use regular saran wrap and have fun!

Mophead
Activist

posted 07-24-2000 10:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mophead     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Without a dental dam:
< ~
The "<" is a vulva and the "~" is a tongue.
Now, with a dental dam:
< | ~
Same symbols, but the "|" is a dental dam.

Make sense?

------------------
MASTURBATING IS NOT A CRIME

Hanne
Sexpert

posted 07-26-2000 09:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Hanne     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Actually, there's some controversy over "microwave" plastic wrap as being useful for safer sex. Many people will tell you not to use it because of the fact that it is designed to let steam through (and is therefore porous to some extent under some circumstances) when it is used in heating food.

However a company that sells microwaveable plastic wrap, has told me via its customer service line that the plastic wrap only becomes porous when it reaches temperatures high enough to generate steam (slightly lower than the boiling point of water). These temperatures are quite a bit higher than the human body ever gets.

Because of this, some people will say that because human bodies don't get as hot as almost-boiling water, microwaveable plastic wrap should be fine to use for oral sex. I figure it probably is, but regular plastic wrap is cheaper anyway, so why not use it instead and avoid any potential problems?

The way you use a dental dam of any sort -- whether latex or plastic wrap -- is that the barrier (the latex sheet or piece of plastic wrap) is spread over a woman's genitals, just like you would spread a piece of plastic wrap over the top of a dish of food.
The person performing oral sex on the woman can lick her *through* the barrier.

You, and your saliva, stay on your side, she and her vaginal fluids stay on her side. No one gets infections. Everybody's happy.

Does that make more sense?

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

somewhatanonymous
Activist

posted 05-06-2002 01:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for somewhatanonymous     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I think it should be noted that dental dams are NOT the "Condom for the tounge" type things. Those are a novelty item which do not protect you from STDs. The really bad public school sex ed up where I live has appearently lead a lot of people to confuse the two.

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen