Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Sex Basics and Sexual Health
  Oil-based lubes are a no no, they're not kidding!!!

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Oil-based lubes are a no no, they're not kidding!!!
Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 07-22-2000 10:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A few nights ago, we performed a quick test comparing oil-based lubricants versus water-based lubricants on latex.

We inflated and tied off three plain latex condoms. One condom (our experimental control) was not lubricated with anything. On one other condom, we applied a line of Astroglide«, a water-based lubricant, about an inch wide, extending the length of the condom. On the remaining condom, we applied a line of Vaseline«, an oil-based lubricant, about an inch wide, extending the length of the condom.

Then we timed how long it would take for the condoms to pop.

The Vaseline« condom popped in just over one MINUTE. 67 seconds to be exact! The other condoms did not pop. We still bat those around the living room.

So there's my experimental data. Just wanted to show how quickly oil can dissolve a condom. In fact, I was surprised how quickly the condom popped.

And my personal recommendation, as far as personal lubricants go, is Astroglide«. I've used other brands before, but this one was the best. The only problem is that it can stain sheets, and takes a while to dry off the covers.

If anyone has opinions regarding personal lubes (recommendations, brands to stay away from), please reply.

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

IP: Logged

Mophead
Activist

posted 07-23-2000 12:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mophead     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Great post!

------------------
MASTURBATING IS NOT A CRIME

Miz Scarlet
Sexpert

posted 07-23-2000 07:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Miz Scarlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Gumdrop, you rock!

Hear, hear, for you girl, and the spirit of scientific enquiry. You make me proud.

And I agree with you. I'm a big fan of Astroglide. It's long been by lube of choice.

Lady Moonlight
Activist

posted 07-24-2000 12:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lady Moonlight     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Sounds like a great one for the school science fair!

Okay...maybe not, at least not where I live. Still, I'd love to see a sex ed teacher try that one in class. Talk about a memorable lesson!

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 07-24-2000 08:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Lady Moonlight, you bring up an interesting point about the science fair.

I recall a few years back, a female high school student was competing in the national (US) science fair, with some scholarship money at stake. She tested the safety of various brands of condoms. Her experiment was *excellent*. Her methodology was precise and her sampling was done properly. But it was disqualified at the last minute because the judges deemed the subject matter "inappropriate for competition." There was a big fuss over the matter, and I don't know whether she was allowed to compete or not.

If anyone is interested in repeating my experiment for a science fair, please reply and I will send you the experiment setup and some helpful hints (like use balloons instead of real condoms if your school objects). I've rocked many science fairs in my day.

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen