Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Site Help and Service
  New to Scarleteen?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   New to Scarleteen?
ookuotoe
Advocate

posted 02-11-2002 06:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ookuotoe     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Welcome to the boards! Here's a roadmap to help you understand what's going on:

Scarleteen Main Page

Links to main sections, complete with informative articles, helpful advice, and useful resources:

Skin Deep
SexYOUality
Reproduction
Infection Section
Pink Slip
Boyfriend
Take Two
Gaydar
Sexual Politics
Crisis Hotline

Main Site Search

Article Questions & Chat

The Boards

Guidelines
Board Etiquette

Each forum has a FAQ:

Body and Soul
Sex Basics and Sexual Health
General Health and Nutrition
Relationships
Support Groups
Sexual Ethics and Politics
Pregnancy and Parenting
Orientation and Identity
GLBT Relationships
Safer Sex and Birth Control
Sexual Health and Medicine
Parents, Adults and Teens
Site Help and Service

Board Search Function

Enjoy.

------------------
There is a time and a place for everything.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 03-01-2003).]

IP: Logged

ookuotoe
Advocate

posted 03-11-2002 01:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ookuotoe     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
From the Guidelines:
The message boards are intended as support for the primary site, located at: http://www.scarleteen.com. All users are expected to review the site itself, and search it or the boards for answers to questions first before posting.

Scarleteen has a myriad of information both on the main site and here at the boards. Doing a search before starting a new thread may allow you to find what you're looking for without waiting for someone to answer you or point you in right direction. If you've done a search, both on the main pages and the boards, and still can't find what you're looking for feel free to post and we'll happily do our best to help you out. With that I give you:

A Quick Search Primer

The search button at the top of each page allows you search the main page, not the boards. That's usually the best place to start.

However when you do need to search previous threads make sure you're searching the boards. You can do that by:

1. Clicking the word search at the top left of the forum main page - near the profile, preferences, etc. links. This will set it up so you are searching all the forums.

2. Entering a forum and clicking the search link near the "Post New Topic" button. This will allow you to search that specific forum - much faster than searching all the forums.

3. You can also enter a specific thread and use the search link near the "Post Reply" button. This has the same effect as option B.

Once you arrive at the search page it's pretty flexible. You can change which forum you want to search with one of the drop-down menus. You can also choose to search in the message or by subject only. Narrowing it down by date is another option. Finally, you can search by specific user names.

Happy hunting.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 02-28-2003).]

ookuotoe
Advocate

posted 03-19-2002 09:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ookuotoe     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A quick guide on how to Edit Your Posts or Quote Posts or View a Profile:
At the top of each post is a bar with the icon of your choice, the date and time the post was made, and three little icons.

The first icon is a face with a question mark. Clicking it will allow you to see profile for that user.

The second icon is a piece of paper and pencil. This is the edit icon. It will take you back to your post and allow you to make changes to it. You may not delete your own posts, only the forum moderators (listed at the top of the forum's main page. For example, Miz Scarlet, Lin, and entropie moderate Site Help and Service.) may do that.

The third and last icon is a piece of paper with an arrow. If you want your reply to include a quote from a previous post in the thread you are replying to click this icon in the post you want to quote. Clicking it will put a complete copy of that post into your reply. You should delete the irrelevant parts, keeping only what you are referring to.

Edited to add that on 12-28-2002 Daydreamer24 posted a helpful diagram in another thread.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 03-01-2003).]

ookuotoe
Advocate

posted 03-26-2002 04:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ookuotoe     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThisGuy:
ThIs Is AnNoYiNg!!!!!!
8u+ +H1z 1Z R3311Y r3311y @nN0y1nG!!!!!!!!

That about sums it up.

However, to further explain, netspeak is very hard to read and understand in and of itself. When you use it in a venue such as these message boards where many of our users don't speak English as their primary language things get terribly confusing.

In fact, the Guidelines have something to say about this:

quote:
From the Guidelines
We ask that you post with care to grammar and punctuation, so that it is easiest for everyone to understand you, and easiest for users to search for subjects.

So, a few tips to make things easier to read:

• DoN'T capITAliZe liKe THiS
  • abbreviations such as some1, newayz, B4, etc. can cause confusion -- how are we to know if bf means best friend or boyfriend?
  • do not use symbols to replace letters (see first quote)
  • look up misspelled words
  • use paragraph breaks (an example of those can be found between the quote from the Guidelines and this list)
  • TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING and is pretty hard on the eyes

All of this will make posts easier to read and understand, thus easier for people to respond to. Just some basic communication skills.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 07-21-2003).]

ookuotoe
Advocate

posted 05-11-2002 12:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ookuotoe     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Where does my post belong?

We have different forums to help keep everything organized. Not only does posting in the correct forum help everyone find everything but it just allows things to be answered a little more accurately. For example a question about age differences in Relationships will be answered very differently than a question about age in Sexual Ethics and Politics.

There are a few ways to decide which forum your post belongs in:

• Under the name of each forum is a brief description of that forum. So is that age difference causing a problem in your relationship (appropriate for Relationships) or would you like to discuss the validity of age of consent laws (better suited for Sexual Ethics and Politics)?
  • Look at some of the other threads in the forums. Seeing what's where will help you familiarize yourself with how things work.
  • Go through the FAQ of the forum you're considering posting in. It's even likely to have a thread similar to what you're thinking.

Something else to consider, how many people do you want to respond? Posts made in Ask Scarleteen rarely receive more than one reply. (No one but the mods are able to reply. If you need to reply to a thread you started you'll have to start a new one.) If you want the perspectives of many people it's best to post in a different forum where everyone may give input.

The Emergencies and Crisis forum is for just that -- dire situations only. Not sure what qualifies as a dire situation? We consider all of the below to be emergencies:

• a person may have a real unwanted pregnancy or STD risk
  • a person's life may be in imminent danger (suicide threat, or threat from an abusive lover, parent, relative, etc.)
  • a person needs help reporting and/or coping with a sexual assault
  • a person needs help reporting and/or coping with physical, sexual or emotional abuse
  • a person may have committed a crime either knowingly or unknowingly and needs legal help

While the board allows everyone to reply there we ask that only the individual who started the thread do so; all threads will be answered by moderators as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 07-21-2003).]

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 05-28-2002 03:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm a member of the Dirtylist (Underworld fans' mailing list ) and one of their big rules that holds true for a place like ST is this: Lurk.

Spend a day or two lurking on the boards. read the posts. read the articles. This will help you get the hang of our general tone on the boards. You will get an idea of what is acceptable here and what is not acceptable here (in case you didn't get it the first time from the user agreement).

Chances are, after you have read the site, the question you originally had would probably have gotten an answer. If your question was not answered by the information provided by this site, then by all means, post. And we will do our best to answer. Play nice

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Sweetpeas0214
Activist

posted 10-18-2003 10:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sweetpeas0214     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just have a quick question...how do you put a link to an artical or other thread in a post is that something that only advocates and sexperts can so?

Milke
Activist

posted 10-19-2003 03:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Nope.
You can either put the URL you want to link to starting with http:// . . ., and that'll make a plain link, or, without the asterisks [*url=http://www.whateveryouwanttolinkto.com]Text you want it to show[*/url].

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

The Earth says Hel-lo!

Sweetpeas0214
Activist

posted 10-21-2003 07:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sweetpeas0214     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
[*http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum19/HTML/000124.html] Like this?

Milke
Activist

posted 10-21-2003 07:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Not quite. The [*url= part, and closing tag are both important.

------------------

The Earth says Hel-lo!

Sweetpeas0214
Activist

posted 10-22-2003 05:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sweetpeas0214     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
[*url=http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum19/HTML/000124.html]Or Like this?[*url]

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 10-22-2003 10:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
for detailed info on how to use UBB Code, please click the following link http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ubbcode.html

------------------
Be the doctor your parents always wanted you to marry.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 01-14-2004 04:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
While we're big on personal security here at ST, it is helpful if users include their general location in their profile. Do NOT give your full address. For users within the USA and Canada, it's helpful to include your state/province. Users in other countries can probably get by with just their country (China, Mexico, Great Britain, etc.).

Because different laws and different resources apply to different places, it helps us help YOU if we know where you are so we can give you more accurate info.

------------------
It ain't the holidays till I see a Salad Shooter commercial.

eVoLuTioN
Activist

posted 01-18-2004 11:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for eVoLuTioN     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ummm, when i post a message myself it comes up with the icon for "new message".
Is it just me or is this not supposed to happen? Other forums i use do not register a message i post myself as a new msg, and also, when i have read someone elses new message, it still has the icon, after i have read it. What the?

Milke
Activist

posted 01-18-2004 02:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If a message has just been posted by anyone, it's a new message (this is just how the boards do stuff, it's not up to us). I'm guessing the other problem is because of your cookies settings, not these boards.

------------------

We can't rewind, we've gone too far

Milke
Activist

posted 03-22-2004 10:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Milke     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
A *BUMP*, and a note on those while we're at it. It's okay for mods to bump topics that are used for general reference (like this one, forum FAQ's, an old topic that has relevance to a currently active one, that sort of thing), but it's not okay to bump your own topic, because that leads to unnecessary posts, and general forum clutter. We'll get to every question as soon as we can, but there are only so many people available at any time. We're not ignoring you, we're probably just at work or at the grocery store or otherwise busy!

------------------

Everything's been sold to others' revolutions

Gumdrop Girl
Sexpert

posted 08-25-2004 09:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
EVERYBODY SHOULD WATCH THIS!!!

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information for Los Angeles County residents.

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 08-25-2004).]

DarkChild717
Advocate

posted 09-23-2005 06:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DarkChild717     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I do beleive this needs to see daylight again.

Gummy? Is that the "Posting and You" animation"? Cause I think the link is broken. I've got it bookmarked, so I can link it if it is.

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen