Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Site Help and Service
  can't read/see my replies to posts

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   can't read/see my replies to posts
Sallynha
Activist

posted 04-12-2001 09:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sallynha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It's really my problem, simple as that, and I can't seem to get why (?) I noticed this last week and I tried some times to post a reply in a thread, (and maybe they are all there). After various failed attempts to solve the problem, I thought maybe it was just that day... but it always happens now...

After I write the replies and hit "post", there's the screen saying "wait and we'll take you back to the forum" or something like that, but when I'm "back" there's still the same posts and mine isn't there

Does someone know why this happens? Maybe I did something wrong either on Scarleteen or even on my own computer, like deleting some files... or whateve... I just don't have any idea what's going on!

To be honest I'm not sure if I'm able to see posts that I start... so I'll give this a try!

Thanx for any help!

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~Sallynha~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

IP: Logged

Sallynha
Activist

posted 04-12-2001 09:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sallynha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ok... I can "see" my starter post, just letting you know, in case you're able to read this (because I won't be I guess...)

hope to hear from someone soon!

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~Sallynha~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dzuunmod
Advocate

posted 04-12-2001 09:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dzuunmod     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I had the same problem for a while, but I solved it by refreshing the browser after I posted. Perhaps you've already tried that, though.

entropie
Activist

posted 04-12-2001 06:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for entropie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
your replies are probably being cached on your PC, so refresh the page. If that doesn't work, you might want to do a cookie cleanout..

entropie

KittenGoddess
Sexpert

posted 04-12-2001 06:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for KittenGoddess     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yeah, mine's been doing the same thing lately...out of curiosity, how does one clean out the cookies?

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

ThisGuy
Activist

posted 04-13-2001 01:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ThisGuy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I usually delete all the files in my "temporary internet files" folder. (Win98)
However, Scarleteen uses session cookies. They expire, and are automatically deleted when you close your browser. Unless something funky has happened, cookies shouldn't be causing a problem.

A more likely case is if your Internet Service Provider has a cache between you and the internet.
ie. they have a computer hooked up to save web pages at their site, to save from having to re-request them all the time. This cuts back on their costs. Not a lot you can do except hit refresh.

Alternatively, it might be because your machine is storing pages, in a similar manner to the above. In IE, if you go to Tools->Internet Options->Delete Files, and click ok, it should wipe out locally stored web pages.

I'd suggest hitting F5 and/or CTRL+F5, and if that doesn't work, clearing out your cache (as above).

------------------
Stuff© - try some today!.

Sallynha
Activist

posted 04-13-2001 04:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sallynha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ok! I got ThisGuy's email and I did everything suggested in the posts, then I came here and I was able to read the whole thread (which I wasn't before), including my own reply ... so I guess it's working again! eheh just to be sure and to let you know everything is ok now, I'm posting here a reply. If this starts happening again I'll tell you! But thanx a lot!

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~Sallynha~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sallynha
Activist

posted 04-13-2001 04:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sallynha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ok bad news I posted that reply and I can't see it... I did all the stuff again (cleaning cookies and doing that options, internet tools thing) ... and I can't see my last reply to the thread... I honestly don't get it... but if you can read my replies then I think it's not such a big problem... I guess...

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~Sallynha~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

glitter695
Activist

posted 04-13-2001 12:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for glitter695     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
On our computer we have this thing called a defrag...what it does is cleans up your computer so it runs better. Do you know if you have a defraging system?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Sallynha
Activist

posted 04-13-2001 02:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sallynha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
yep I do have a defrag system, and I've actually put it working the other day as someone said I should to get more hard drive free space (as I'm currently just with ~180mb free) ... but I left it working for some hours and it only did 50% of the disk, so I'm waiting till I don't "need" the computer for a while so I get it to run and do it 100% humm... do you think that may solve this?

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~Sallynha~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ThisGuy
Activist

posted 04-14-2001 01:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ThisGuy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
When your hard drive is used, you write and read data from it. Its essentially a set of thin CDs that spin, except it uses magnetism rather than light. (Ok, not really like CDs, but you get the idea!)

When you write a lot of files to the drive, they can get "fragmented" - chopped into bits and scattered over the disc.
eg. File #1 might take up cluster #323, 7978, and 2098 on the disc. (In that order, even - files can be scattered pretty much randomly)
Defragmenters undo this, and rearrange the files so that they are all continuous. This should have nothing to do with your system.

My guess is that your ISP has a cache between you and the internet. Between yesterday and today, the Scarleteen files you requested were dropped from the cache, and so were re-loaded. Thus, you got the fresh version initially, but received the same thing over and over again because that's what was stored.
http://www.gottasurf.com/about_browser.php
I think that site will work. Try this:
Open Start->Run...
Type "winipcfg" (in Windows - I don't know about Mac), and hit [Enter]
Do the IP addresses in that link, and in the little window that pop match? If not, then you're probably using a proxy.

------------------
Stuff© - try some today!.

Sallynha
Activist

posted 04-14-2001 04:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sallynha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
OK I did that and you're right, the IP address that was on that link was different from the one in the little "winipcfg" window... so this means the problem is that thing that my ISP has a cache between me and the internet, right? And I suppose that the way to solve this is by getting used to it I guess... hehe I've pretty much gotten used to it, just don't read my replies after I post them, but for example, the next day then I'm able to see them a bit weird but it's alright! Thanx A LOT for your help! I could have gone nuts with this stuff! ehehhe

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~Sallynha~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sallynha
Activist

posted 04-14-2001 04:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sallynha     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
LOL ok I don't know if I did something but the weirdest thing happened now I was able to read this last reply I wrote so I guess no problem here anymore ehhehe thanx again!!!!

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~Sallynha~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e