Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Pregnancy and Parenting
  How do I tell my parents?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   How do I tell my parents?
Lucky
Neophyte

posted 02-25-2002 02:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lucky     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I guess this is for any teen who has gotten pregnant while still living with their parents. How did you tell your parents that you were pregnant???? I have no idea on how to go about telling my mom and dad, cause I know they are probably going to be very disappointed and ashamed of me. I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt want to talk to me.

I am really sure that I am pregnant reasons are : i am a month late, my boobs are extremely swollen and i took a home pregnancy test on Sunday and it said I am.

This all hasn't really hit me yet, it all still seems like a dream so I am not freaking out yet I just want to figure out how to tell my mom and dad.

If any of you have any suggestions please give them to me they will be greatly appreciated.

Thnx bunches
*Lucky*

IP: Logged

Aria51
Advocate

posted 02-25-2002 02:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Aria51     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Well, I was 19 and living in a dorm when I got pregnant, but I lived with my parents on the weekend.

I decided to tell my mom in a place we were always comfortable talking -- in the car. We didn't have to look at eachother, and if the conversation went south one of us could turn on the radio. She asked how I was doing, and I said "Well, not so good, mom. You might want to pull over." She just kept driving, and I told her that I had taken a pregnancy test, and that it was positive. We talked about it in little spurts for a while, and then went home.

I told my mom first because she is the parent I'm more open with. Are you closer to one of your parents than you are to the other? You may want to tell that parent first, then have that parent help you tell your other parent. If you're equally close to both parents, sit them down together and tell them.

Start the conversation in a mature manner; "Mom, Dad, there is something we need to discuss" instead of "You guys are gonna kill me, but..." Tell them that you are pregnant, tell them how you know you are pregnant, and tell them your feelings about the pregnancy. Are you frightened? Nervous? Upset? Let them know, and have them share their feelings as well.

Since you are not very far along in your pregnancy, you have a lot of options. Go through these options with your parents and tell them how you feel about each one (abortion, adoption, keeping the baby, etc). Say that you need to seek medical care as soon as possible.

I know this is probably terrifying at the moment, but the sooner you do this the better off you will be. Talking to them face-to-face would be the best, I think, but if you absolutely positively can NOT do it that way -- you've tried and you just can't get the words out -- at least write them a letter.

Actually, the letter idea might help even if you are going to tell them face-to-face. It will help you get your thoughts out on paper and organized, and will give you a foundation for the conversation. Write them a few practice letters, then keep these letters in mind when the time for The Talk comes.

Take care of yourself, and the best of luck with your parents.

unhappykoger
Activist

posted 02-25-2002 06:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for unhappykoger     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i dont want to go into details right now about how i did it because i dont want anyone to do it the way i did. i was 14. i think you should just sit them down and come straight to the point and tell them. they will ask you questions of course but answer everything truthfully.

Aria51
Advocate

posted 10-21-2002 08:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Aria51     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Bumping this up for further discussion

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen