Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Pregnancy and Parenting
  Pregnancy "Symptoms" / Am I Pregnant?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Pregnancy "Symptoms" / Am I Pregnant?
Aria51
Advocate

posted 12-25-2001 04:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Aria51     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Lately, we have had a lot of posts asking if *insert odd feeling here* should be taken as an indicator of pregnancy. Some of these odd feelings have included abdominal pains, headaches, frequent urination, fatigue... the list goes on for miles and miles.

The truth is, the ONLY reliable "symptom" of pregnancy is a positive pregnancy test. Many, many women do not even get morning sickness, headaches, fatigue, etcetera. Some get "symptoms" that are unique to them. A woman's "symptoms" may vary from pregnancy to pregnancy.

Since we are not doctors, we cannot diagnose ANY physical disease/disorder/condition. Even if we were doctors, we could not do so over the internet.

If you think you are pregnant, do not wait and see if you get the various "symptoms" to diagnose your pregnancy. If you have had unprotected intercourse, even for a second, take a pregnancy test as soon as you miss your period, or 2 weeks after the incident. If you used a condom but you think it broke or slipped, take a pregnancy test. If there was semen on your partner's hands, and you and your partner engaged in manual sex without wearing latex gloves, take a pregnancy test. If you for any reason are worried you may be pregnant... you know the drill.

Home pregnancy tests can be purchased almost anywhere -- drug stores (such as Walgreens, Osco, etc), chain stores (such as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc), grocery stores, convenience stores/gas stations, and even online through places like drugstore.com and the Scarleteen Store. You do not have to be any "certain age" to purchase home pregnancy tests, and the clerks probably won't even remember what you bought after you're gone.

If you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant, see a doctor. Pre-natal care and counsoling are one of those The Sooner The Better types of things. The sooner you acknowledge your pregnancy, the more options you have, and the more time you have to consider those options. This would also be an excellent time to get tested for STDs.

Take some time to follow these links, and read and understand the information within.

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

What's The Risk? Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessment

Safe, Sound and Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

Planned Parenthood Federation of America

Have a safe and happy New Year.

[This message has been edited by Aria51 (edited 12-25-2001).]

IP: Logged

Celtic Daisy
Advocate

posted 05-24-2002 11:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Celtic Daisy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Just to say, believe me, clerks dont' remember you , and they don't care. I know this is a big thing on some people's minds. I worked as a casher for wal-mart for 6 months, and i couldn't tell you one person i sold that stuff to. I would notice it when i brought it through but usually i was thinking, "good for them, rather then wait for "symptoms"". Believe me, the checkers dont' care what you buy. i'm sure i'm not the only cashier here who can back that up.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Beppie
Advocate

posted 05-25-2002 12:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Beppie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Daisy:
Believe me, the checkers dont' care what you buy. i'm sure i'm not the only cashier here who can back that up.

*raises hand*
I worked checkouts for 18 months in the Australian equivalent of Wal-mart, and believe me, Celtic is absolutely correct.

Honestly, the cashier is more worried about when their shift will end than who is buying what. Like Celtic, I would only notice to think that I was dealing with a responsible person here- and then promptly forget what the person looked like the moment they'd gone.

glitter695
Activist

posted 05-28-2002 08:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for glitter695     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I also dont care. I was a cashier for awhile, until I started to work in customer service at a supermarket. I still get people that come up to me with questions about condoms and pregnancy tests. Its no big deal! Thats the last thing we are thinking about!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Heather Corinna

Aria51
Advocate

posted 07-30-2003 03:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Aria51     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Back to the top with ye

negative*nancy
Activist

posted 01-22-2004 09:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for negative*nancy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
wheeeeeee!

Insane
Activist

posted 02-20-2004 10:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Insane     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Get back up there you silly discussion group!

------------------
Mommy, where did your penis go?

Aria51
Advocate

posted 03-29-2004 03:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Aria51     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This is a useful read. Hop to!

Insane
Activist

posted 04-28-2004 08:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Insane     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Up, up and away!

------------------
My son to my 20 something brother: Why are you a boy?
My brother: why are you a boy?
My son: cause I have a penis. Do you have a penis?
my brother: beat red, high tails it out of the room

Insane
Activist

posted 06-15-2004 07:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Insane     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
We've missed you at the top, up you go!

------------------
I want a tail mommy.

Aria51
Advocate

posted 01-12-2005 05:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Aria51     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
look!

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47e

Google
Search Scarleteen