Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Worried about your labia?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Worried about your labia?

posted 04-06-2005 08:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for browniegal27     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi Im 16 years old and like many other girls, im sure, i completly hate my labia minora as they are long and horrible. I think i first became aware that i wasn't like other girls about 3 years ago and it has got worse. I am really self consious and worried that i will never be able to have a boyfriend. I have thought about surgery to remove it but I dont think i could raise the money. Id really like to hear what other girls with this same problem and could give some in sight on this. Please reply!

IP: Logged

Miz Scarlet

posted 04-06-2005 09:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Miz Scarlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Exactly how many other women's labia have you seen? The labia, in person, of three women? Ten, maybe? Even 25? if it's even that many -- which is unlikely if you don't have female sexual partners -- you STILL haven't seen close to enough to make any determination on if your labia are normal or not.

Chances are pretty good that they are: labia come in a lot of shapes, sizes and lengths, and lots of women have longer labia, which are as lovely as any other. Not a raw deal, really, when you consider that labia have sensory nerve endings which often play a substantial role in sexual sensation. With so many women having trouble with sensation, don't imagine too many of them would knowingly cut it short by having labia incised.

if you truly think something is abnormal or seriously problematic, talk to your gynecologist, who has seen LOTS of labia and is someone who, unlike you, CAN make a sound determination as to whether or not something is problematic. But be prepared to find out otherwise, which is a good thing, anyway: labiaplasty is pretty icky stuff -- surgery sold to women to take advantage of their ignornace about their own bodies, which can limit sexual enjoyment, poses health risks, costs a bundle and is almost always totally unecessary.

Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

posted 04-06-2005 09:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for logic_grrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It sounds like you already know that long labia are perfectly normal and common (or you wouldn't think that "many other girls" have the same "problem"). They're not "horrible" at all, and won't in any way prevent you from having a boyfriend!

Check out this thread for some support in loving your labia just the way they are:

posted 04-06-2005 04:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jayintheuk     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Of COURSE you're not like other girls, neither am I, neither is any other girl. Though, like you, I've got long labia, lopsided ones at that, and I love 'em. That labia love thread logic_grrl posted? Totally rad. Long labia aren't a problem, they're a part of who you are. And your labia won't interfere with getting a boyfriend - mine is my boyfriend because we like each others' personalities, care about each other a lot and share similar interests and values; things we discovered long before he saw my labia. When he did, he liked them too, just like he likes everything else. If you're really really concerned though, take Miz Scarlet's advice and ask your gyno, they can tell if something's up and if nothing is, reassure you that your labia are just as fine and fabulous as you are.

posted 04-06-2005 07:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lizenny     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Oh for goodness sakes! Has the whole beauty obsession gone so far that our LABIA of all things have to look a certain way now??? How ridiculous! Who sets the standard for pretty labia anyway? No guy is going to run away in fear saying "Eew! Your labia are way too long for me and now I think you're ugly and disgusting." Only us chicks are that overly critical. Unless you're hurting yourself a lot by tripping over them and falling down consider yourself normal.

You catch more flies with manure than you do with honey.

[This message has been edited by lizenny (edited 04-06-2005).]

posted 04-06-2005 07:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dailicious     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
To second what everyone else has been saying, if a guy doesn't like you because of your labia, he has some serious issues he needs to clear up and you shouldn't be in a relationship with him anyway.

Really, most guys I bet don't even notice or think there's anything wrong- would you as a woman find a guy unattractive or not want to be with him if his penis was shaped oddly or bigger or smaller than you expected? I'd hope not.

posted 04-07-2005 07:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for maxpowa     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
As postings above have said, you can talk about this with your gynecologist just in order to reassure yourself, and they will no doubt tell you that you are perfectly normal.

Men like all sorts of things in a woman, and as it can be quite hard to find your way around down there it's nice to find something soft and sensitive to play with.

A few years from now you will no doubt look back and laugh that you thought you had a problem, when a lot of men would tell you the opposite... Don't worry. I guess being confused by this sort of thing is just a normal part of growing up.

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2004 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.45c