Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards
  Town Hall
  Bumps on my nipples???

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Bumps on my nipples???
SurfBrat
Neophyte

posted 12-24-2000 11:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SurfBrat     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've just started to notice during september that there are tiny little bumps on my nipples. I don't know what they are and I don't know how to get rid of them! Help me, what are they and what should I do???

IP: Logged

Abellona
Neophyte

posted 12-25-2000 05:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Abellona     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
it could be cancer, so I would check with a doctor to be sure

Hanne
Sexpert

posted 12-25-2000 07:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Hanne     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
*BZZZZZZT*

Whoa, please, no major scare tactics without some sort of basis in reality, okay?

No, the bumps on your nipples are not -- and I mean, I haven't seen 'em, but I am about 99.999999999% sure anyway -- a sign that there is anything wrong with you, let alone cancer.

Many women get bumps on their nipples. They're usually due to blocked oil glands. The skin of your nipples has some very large oil glands and connected tubules in it, and occasionally they can get plugged up with dead skin cells and skin oils (just like the oil glands and pores on your face or any other part of your body). It's not usually a big deal.

If you were to squeeze one of those bumps like a pimple, you'd probably get some whitish stuff to come out -- just like a pimple, pretty much. The difference between the bumps you're seeing and a garden-variety zit is inflammation and infection, which is what makes zits hurt. And just like garden-variety zits, if you leave those bumps alone, they'll probably go away of their own accord. Which is what we recommend, and what a doctor would recommend. Don't squeeze them, you'll only traumatize the tissue. Just leave it be.

If the bumps get hot, hard, swollen, painful, or if they get considerably larger in size, do go see a doctor. Otherwise, you have nothing to worry about.

Just FYI, folks, breast cancer usually takes place within the breast tissue itself, inside the breast, and not on the skin surface. Regular breast exams -- you can get your gynecologist to teach you how to do a breast self-exam -- are an excellent way to keep an eye out for any suspicious lumps in the breast tissue.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

SlowCookie
Advocate

posted 12-25-2000 08:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SlowCookie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I heard a joke about those little bumps before, I think it went something like this-

Do you know what those little bumps on nipples are for? It's braille for "lick here".

Alright, so it was much more funny when I heard it. I've got a talent for butchering jokes .

Miz Scarlet
Sexpert

posted 12-25-2000 08:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Miz Scarlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Nah, it's not you. It's hard to execute a good delivery in type.

Confused boy
Activist

posted 12-25-2000 03:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Confused boy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
It also quite hard to execute a good delivery with that type of joke.

ou2mame
Activist

posted 12-26-2000 02:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for ou2mame     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I'm a guy and I get those once in a blue moon. They're fun to squeeze I suppose, but I always wondered what the **** they were.

------------------
just when everything was making sense
you took away all my self-confidence
now all that I've been hearing must be true
I guess I'm not the only boy for you

ningrrl
Activist

posted 12-28-2000 04:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ningrrl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ok, I know this is off the subject, but I didn't know where else to comment on this..
ou2mame, you are an NiN fan?? (Taken from your signature.)
Rock on, man!

------------------

shedding skin sucumb defeat
this machine is obsolete

ou2mame
Activist

posted 12-28-2000 06:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ou2mame     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yep yep, that I am.

------------------
just when everything was making sense
you took away all my self-confidence
now all that I've been hearing must be true
I guess I'm not the only boy for you

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World