Sound Off - Scarleteen Boards

Blue Balls?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Blue Balls?
Etch
Activist

posted 07-03-2000 02:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Etch     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Ok, Ive heard guys talk about blue balls all the time. But I have no idea what they are!

IP: Logged

d1TzY8
Activist

posted 07-03-2000 02:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for d1TzY8     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I learned this in health class a couple of years ago..LoL, If im not mistaking, "blue balls" is kinda like a slang term for when guys need to "get some", for example if a guy was totally horny and asked you to have sex and you said no..you would leave them with blue balls. I hope that helped!

Lady Moonlight
Activist

posted 07-03-2000 02:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lady Moonlight     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
You're right, it's a slang term for when a guy has an erection, often a painfully hard one. Trust me, though, it's not going to cause him any damage. Erections deflate on their own eventually, or if the guy is impatient he can always masturbate.

Guys will sometimes accuse girls of leaving them with "blue balls" if they both get aroused but then want to stop before having sex. However, a woman (or a guy, for that matter) has a right to choose how far they will go, and a guy can always take care of it himself if the girl isn't ready, as I said.

Mophead
Activist

posted 07-03-2000 03:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mophead     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Good post, Lady Moonlight.

Miz Scarlet
Sexpert

posted 07-03-2000 04:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Miz Scarlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Actually, it isn't about a persistent erection. We have a couple posts in here on the topic. As far as how to handle it, Rhiannon is right.

As far as what it is, it is slang for vasocongestion, which is what happens when a boy/man gets aroused, and all the blood rushes to the penis, but if they do not climax, the blood vessels do not relax and redistribute that blood correctly. That isn't going to happen just by getting an erection and it not being alleviated. More often, it happens from a good amount of stimulation and arousal that,, for whatever reason, ceases suddenly, or is brought to a point of near-climax that isn't finalized.

It isn't dangerous, nor gut-wrenchingly painful, and can be put to rest by masturbation, or even a little nap.

wear*a*smile!
Activist

posted 07-04-2000 05:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wear*a*smile!     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ya for example: say u were talking to your girlfriend and then she said something that really turned u on and u were like, "oh god i'm so horny" but u couldn't really do anything about it cuz u know ur girlfriend would say "no". in most cases u may get blue balls. its like, when u get horny and theres nothing u can do about it. but don't worry, i don't think the balls actually turn blue.
love,
the girl that smiles

PEZgirl
Activist

posted 07-05-2000 01:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for PEZgirl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I think a lot of guys over-use the blue balls excuse. I understand that this does happen but sometimes i just think guys go a little overboard just so their girlfriends feel bad and get them off. It's happened to me many times.

Lady Moonlight
Activist

posted 07-05-2000 09:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lady Moonlight     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks for correcting me, Miz S. You know, I think a lot of times, even the guys using the term aren't exactly sure what they're talking about!

HotGrrl99
Activist

posted 07-06-2000 04:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HotGrrl99     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Boys use it all the time to try to make you feel really bad and give them some! Don't give in to it! (unless of course, you want too!!)

Lee
Activist

posted 07-14-2000 12:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lee     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This is going to sound silly, but I have a cure for blue balls.

I saw this on a movie and when I tried it myself it did work, so the screenplay writer must have gotten it from a more reliable source.

Go lift something heavy. Specifically go try to pick up the end of a car. If you're using your hips while doing it, your blue balls will be instantly gone.

If some guy tries to make you feel sorry for him over it, just tell him to take matters into his own hand. He's just playing you.

Lee

Lee
Activist

posted 07-14-2000 12:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lee     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Actually the whole painful erection thing is something else. There is a medical condition where a guy has a persistent erection that won't go away. Now that IS painful. Blue balls is when you've gotten all worked up and turned on over an extended period with no release. Its this weird uncomfortable feeling in your groin. But like I said above, lifting something heavy like the end of a car will relieve it.

Lee

PunkHippie420
Activist

posted 07-29-2000 07:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for PunkHippie420     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Isnt it where the guy gets an erection and he doesn't ejaculate, leaving heaves of pressure on the nads?

Ken L. Smith
Neophyte

posted 07-29-2000 10:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ken L. Smith     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Actually, PunkHippi is getting the closest to the correct answer. "Blue Balls" is indead a slang term that is referring to a buildup of pressure in the epididymis (the appendage on the back side of each testis), where sperm is allowed to mature for up to seventy days after the testes manufacture them. Sexual excitement (being turned on) starts the process that will release as many as 600 million sperm, and if the process is interrupted (not tonight, honey), the sperm are impounded, causing pressure in the epididymis and the vas deferens. This causes pain, but will go away, either by release of the pressure by ejaculation, or simply by giving it time. It can be uncomfortable, but will not cause damage to the male's reproductive system. Nocturnal Emmission (wet dreams) are considered to be one of the body's natural process by which excess sperm cells are eliminated. The erection is not part of the pain; erections simply occur at the same time (when sexually excited).

------------------
Ken L. Smith

Juliekins
Neophyte

posted 07-31-2000 11:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Juliekins     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Of course, there is that real bummer of a disorder, priapism, which is an erection that just won't go away, no matter what. Priapism can cause damage to the erectile tissue and blood vessels down there, which causes an even bigger bummer of a disorder: erectile dysfuntion.

Don't worry, though. If the guy is trying to put the heat on you because of "blue balls," he probably won't suffer permanent damage. Priapism isn't caused by being too turned on.

Miz Scarlet
Sexpert

posted 07-31-2000 12:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Miz Scarlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ken L. Smith:
the sperm are impounded, causing pressure in the epididymis and the vas deferens.

That's a bit of a misnomer. It is not the semen and sperm that cause that pressure, but engorged blood vessels in the penis and testes. It is orgasm (and not ejaculation, which is a RESULT of orgasm) which causes those vessels to then relax again. When orgasm can't be achieved, a couple ibuprofen tablets and/or an ice pack can do the same thing, when it comes to the physical aspects.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited July 31, 2000).]

Hanne
Sexpert

posted 07-31-2000 09:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Hanne     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Okay. I'm not a doctor, so I phoned two of them, both urologists, and a nurse practitioner friend of mine who is a clinician for Planned Parenthood.

Here's what I was told.

The primary source of discomfort when male arousal is not followed by ejaculation is due to vasocongestive pressure in the penis and testicles and surrounding areas as a whole. One of the urologists I talked to compared the phenomenon to how a tension headache happens: blood pressure is increased, but the blood vessels that the blood must flow through are constricted (this creates vasocongestion, which creates an erection by keeping the blood in the penis) by vascular tension as well as muscle tension. When high blood pressure and high blood volume meet narrowed blood vessels, a little like trying to force the flow of a kitchen faucet through a soda straw, it's uncomfortable and can be downright painful sometimes.

Fortunately, the vascular and muscular tension will go away if the sufferer relaxes, just like they do with tension headaches. Orgasm triggers the release of this vascular and muscular tension, but any other sort of relaxation of this tension will do the same thing.

I asked about the epididymis issue and both doctors I asked said that they thought the pressure of actual sperm would be minimal, since sperm is only approximately 2%-5% of the average volume of any ejaculation and the fact that the "pressure" that forces ejaculate out of the penis is due to the forces exerted by the urethral musculature. The pressure that ejects semen from the penis is NOT generated in the testes (or testicles, or seminal glands), it is provided by muscular contractions around the urethra and vas deferens, and to a certain extent from the entire pubococcygeal musculature.

This is not to say that men do not feel that muscular pressure as pressure on or in (sometimes behind or just above)their testicles, they do, but the testes/testicles themselves are not responsible for producing the pressure. They're not pressurized like little whipped cream canisters or anything. The sensation is felt there, but that's because that's where many of the sensory nerves are that fire when nearby tissues are irritated and not because that's what creates the pressure that moves semen out of the body. Men who feel lower abdominal pain or pressure are experiencing vasocongestive or muscle-tension irritation of the vas deferens.

I then asked about nocturnal emissions, aka wet dreams. In my own reproductive physiology classes, I was taught that sperm levels are self-regulating like those of other kinds of regularly-preduced cells in the body. But the "wet dream as an outlet for excess semen/sperm" argument comes up so often around here and when I do sex education work elsewhere that I wanted to know once and for all if there was any truth to the matter.

All of the people (and both books) I consulted said that was not the case, and that the same principles of equilibrium function in terms of sperm and semen production as function over things like the production of blood cells.

Basically, the body is constantly producing new cells, like blood cells, for instance, and yet you never have "excess" blood cells. You don't have to bleed occasionally to get rid of the excess blood (this used to be thought to be one of the reasons women menstruated, actually, to get rid of so-called "excess" blood). You won't blow up like a balloon with excess blood if you don't get rid of the old stuff while your body is producing new stuff. This is because our bodies continuously get rid of the no-longer-useful cells and replace them with new ones.

The exact same thing happens with regard to sperm. Sperm are constantly being created within the testes in a process called spermatogenesis (about which I just spent about an hour reading thanks to my upstairs neighbor, who is a researcher in microbiological and molecular medicine and who loaned me some books -- it's incredibly interesting on the cellular biology level. Not that anyone except me cares.). They mature in the epididymis. If sperm do not leave the body, they eventually die off and are reabsorbed and replaced by new sperm. The life cycle of sperm that do not leave the body is a few weeks long -- it varies from man to man, but a window of 3-5 weeks was the figure I found most often.

So. The short answer is:

Blue balls = irritation or pain caused by vasocongestive pressure in the penis and on the urethra and vas deferens. Curable by simply letting it go away, by achieving either ejaculatory or nonejaculatory orgasm (which produces muscle and venous relaxation), by warm or cold compresses. Can be helped by physical activity, warm baths, or the time-honored cold shower. Residual pain may be medicated with aspirin or ibuprofen or similar over-the-counter analgesics.

Nocturnal emissions, aka wet dreams = any emission of semen that occurs during sleep. Usually related to dreaming, which may or may not be directly sexual in nature (it can also be symbolic or non-sexually arousing). Has nothing at all to do with "excess sperm" because there is no such thing as "excess sperm."

Thanks go to the Countway Medical Library at Harvard University for their generous reference assistance, and to the Fenway Community Health Center and the Brigham and Women's Hospital for their help. Further thanks to Dr. J. McLeod and M. Badger, R.N., of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, my upstairs neighbors. I learned a few things I didn't know before, and that's always worth the trip.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

[This message has been edited by Hanne (edited July 31, 2000).]

Lolahola
Neophyte

posted 08-06-2000 11:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lolahola     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I didn't know exactly what blue balls was. But guys at my school would tell me " hey go out to the car with me" or something else that would try to lure me to go do something with them, and when I would say no, they would give the "blue balls" excuse, but I never quite understood. Thanx so much for making it less complicated.

Eva Kozo
San diego, cali.

Mistress Mary
Activist

posted 08-08-2000 09:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mistress Mary     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I would just like to take a moment to thank Miz Scarlet, Hanne, the other mentors, and anyone else out there who takes the time to research material to provide us with correct and accurate answers. Many times we have questions that are embarrassing to ask out parents/family members/teachers and more than often information our friends tell us is incorrect. Thank you so much! You're providing a great service to us all.

------------------
"Be it, don't dream it..."
http://www.crosswinds.net/~francesca18

Etch
Activist

posted 08-08-2000 10:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Etch     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I second that Mistress. Its been a big help to have these boards, and this whole site.

I have never actually had the blue balls excuse used on me before but no one would ever tell me what it really meant just in case it was.

And there is support here that i would I would not otherwise get from family and friends that i do get here.

So thanks!!!

Pittied Fool
Activist

posted 08-08-2000 10:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pittied Fool     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Scientific stuff is great. All fun and games hearing the big words, but to answer, in the best I can, it's pain. To describe the answer is the same as girls trying to decide cramps. You can go into all the detail in the world, but nothing you say will ever let me understand. But in that reference, maybe... just maybe you can. It feels like a cramp. It feels... JUST like a charlie horse, but in a MUCH more sensative area.

And it IS hard to explain. It's not NEAR as common as people would think or claim, but it IS real. But if and/or when it's happened, it never crossed my mind to ejaculate, or go for a walk, or get an ice pack. My first instinct is to curl over grab myself and pray to god I don't die.

------------------
"Now I've been crying lately,
Thinking about the world as it is
Why must we go on hating?
Why can't we live in bliss" - Cat Stevens

Ryuu
Activist

posted 08-09-2000 02:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ryuu     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Call me crazy, but I like getting "blue balls". Feels good; and the longer you let it persist, the better orgasm is when it finally comes :P .

Hanne
Sexpert

posted 08-09-2000 08:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Hanne     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks, guys -- and you're all welcome. We're happy to be able to help.

As the last two posts prove, not everyone has the same experience of blue balls! As we keep saying all the time, everyone's different.

Another thing I discovered since making the last big post is that it is quite possible for women to suffer from "blue balls," too. It's generally not as localized (women don't have as much external genitalia), but women can, under the same conditions, have a sensation of dull aching or heaviness or throbbing in their vulva, clitoris, or feel like their bladder aches. It happens for the same basic reasons -- vasocongestion -- and goes away basically the same ways, too.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

jholmes99
Neophyte

posted 08-10-2000 10:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jholmes99     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
This makes me laugh everytime I think of this because a girl that sat next to me in biology class asked the teacher this question(male teacher). The teacher was surprised to say the least but he answered the question anyways. What I remember its when a guy needs to ejaculate but he doesn't because he is olding back. Thank you for bringing back this funny memory

cloudyMouse
Activist

posted 08-11-2000 10:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cloudyMouse     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I just read all the posts about "blue balls". I think guys really do have the option to control their erections, because my bf always manages to control his. He tells me (whenever he has an "accidental" erection sometimes while hugging me!) that he just needs to "let it rest" for a while and it'll go away. Of course, while waiting for it to go away I'm not allowed to touch him there!

------------------
cloudyMouse...
as cloudy as you can get.....

Mistress Mary
Activist

posted 08-11-2000 11:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mistress Mary     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
wow.... I didn't even think it was possible for a guy to control his erections.

Maybe it's like bladder control, some people can hold it better than others.

------------------
"Be it, don't dream it..."
http://darkhole.com/francesca

Ryuu
Activist

posted 08-12-2000 02:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ryuu     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
"Think unsexy thoughts, think unsexy thoughts."
That's how it's done.

VeNT
Activist

posted 08-12-2000 06:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for VeNT     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
If i get an erection and i need it to go away FAST i just picture Nora Batty from last of the summers wine
anyone over 15 in england will remeber her
and maybe some ppl in the US but i am not sure if you get it there
nora batty....AHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO
bye bye erection!!
~VeNT
x x x

Ryuu
Activist

posted 08-13-2000 12:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ryuu     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
We in the US can just picture Janet Reno instead. Ick.

bettie
Sexpert

posted 08-13-2000 10:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for bettie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I understand what you are saying guys, but let's not dis any actual people, living or dead, to make a point or a joke. Thanks.

ok ok help me
Neophyte

posted 09-13-2004 08:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ok ok help me     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ok i was just wondering if had blue balls i was sitting with my g/f on the couch and i was holding her hand and stuff and i started to get hard for no reson and i got up to the bathroom and my balls feelt like the had been stomped on and i was in pain i got hard like 3 times wut the [heck] was it help me please so i know thanks alot

Be careful about language, please!

[This message has been edited by wobblyheadedjane (edited 09-14-2004).]

Bobolink
Advocate

posted 09-14-2004 10:36 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bobolink     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I can't be sure as you are a separate individual but what you described sounds very much like my experience with "blue balls".

You may wish to read about blue balls here:
FBI Files: Blue Balls

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

sassy
Activist

posted 09-19-2004 04:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sassy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

Does one have to have an erection first in order to have "blue balls" then after?

Miz Scarlet
Sexpert

posted 09-19-2004 08:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Miz Scarlet     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Vasocongestion occurs from sexual arousal.

In men, erection tends to occur with sexual arousal, therefore erection would generally have occurred for blue balls to occur, though it could also happen without erection, especially in men with any sort of erectile dysfunction.

jayden1221
Neophyte

posted 01-08-2006 07:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jayden1221     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
beleive me it really hurts!

daria319
Activist

posted 01-08-2006 10:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for daria319     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I've actually read that "blue balls" was once a term for gonorrhea. Has anyone else heard this?

All times are CT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Scarleteen: Sex Ed for the Real World

Copyright 1997, 2006 Scarlet Letters/Scarleteen

Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.45c

Google
Search Scarleteen