This is topic I'm gonna melt! in forum The Randoms at Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive).

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/7/t/000592.html

Posted by LilBlueSmurf (Member # 1207) on :

Oy ... it's 30oC weather here. And this is Ontario. Land of the igloos. This is so not fair. I would rather it rain and snow forever than have to deal w/ a week of this. My body just doesn't deal well w/ it *at all* and i sweat like a freaking PIG!

How do you guys deal w/ the hot weather? I tend to curse the heat up and down and then wonder why i miss it so much when i'm spraining my ankles after falling on ice in the winter...

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posted by Bobolink (Member # 1386) on :

It's hot and sticky in Toronto too. Only my car has air conditioning. I have an oscillating fan turned on me as I type, it helps somewhat. I guess it might be cooler down by the bay. That shouldn't have warmed up yet.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posted by SlowCookie (Member # 589) on :

Smurfy, you're complaining about 86°F (if I'm doing my math right)? You should come down here to Florida. Today it was 93°F (about 34°C, again if I'm doing my math right). Simply walking to my car makes my skin feel like it's going to peel off. It's so horribly hot. You can stand completely still in the shade and still sweat profusely.

I hate the summers here. Even driving in the car with the air conditioning on, you feel the heat beat through the windows. My boyfriend wears glasses and as soon as he steps out of his car and into the street, his glasses start to fog up. The weather is absolutely yucky down here. We get alot of tourists but I surely don't understand why. Cool weather seems wonderful to me.

I deal with the weather by drinking alot of water and wearing clothes that are light and airy. No denim, fitted clothes, or pants. Alot of dresses, tank tops, and shorts.

Posted by Siren (Member # 3243) on :

I'm suffering right along with you! It has been pretty cold here in NY the past few weeks, and I kept hoping it would warm up.....now I can't wait for fall!! We have no air conditioning yet, I'm sitting here in a tang top and shorts, and am still dying. I wish I lived by a beach so I could swim in some nice cool water.

------------------
Lil Siren
-Scarleteen Advocate
"Those are some BIG ice cubes...."

Posted by Pixie69 (Member # 406) on :

Okay, so it's only 90* F right now in Vegas, but our average temp in summertime months is 109*F, and it's not unusual for it to go right up to 115. So there

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

Finish the fairy tale that you were drunk enough to start - Veruca Salt

Posted by Gaffer (Member # 2105) on :

It's easily 120 degrees out right now. Okay, so it's 105--I have a talent for exaggeration. Still, I think I've got you all beat with that (mwahaha Pixie)! I too have sweating issues, but air condition and pools seem to be answers to the Phoenician's prayer.

Posted by BruinDan (Member # 3072) on :

Hahaha I'm with you Pixie. Although it's barely 95 degrees today, two summers ago we went 28 days straight with temperatures over 100 degrees, of which 12 straight days were over 105, and four were over 110. The peak of the heatwave was a 116-degree day, which was the hottest I had ever experienced it being.

Of course, the most serious problem we have out here is our lack of electricity. If we get heat like that this year, we're screwed...Rolling Blackouts mean we won't have enough power for our air conditioners. I suppose that means it'll be a free-for-all at the beaches!

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 09-26-2002).]

Posted by glitter695 (Member # 1515) on :

Its really hot here too. I have central air. Sometimes it gets too cold in here, and I have to go outside and get hot all over again.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posted by Rizzo (Member # 802) on :

Bah, yep, the weather sounds about the same in Toronto as it is here. It's so annoying, having to look decent when it's this hot. Actually, I'm typing in my underwear. "What are you wearing Rizzo?" Call me, and we'll talk (Sorry, I'm feeling silly. My brain must be melting.)

Posted by Gumdrop Girl (Member # 568) on :

it doesn't get hot here. maybe about 30ºC (that's alt+167) here. but at home, it's 46ºC in the summer. awful. but there's a swimming pool in the backyard. no pool here, though. but i have an electric fan now.

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posted by Only In Dreams (Member # 3661) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LilBlueSmurf:
Oy ... it's 30oC weather here. And this is Ontario. Land of the igloos. This is so not fair. I would rather it rain and snow forever than have to deal w/ a week of this. My body just doesn't deal well w/ it *at all* and i sweat like a freaking PIG!

Wuss! LOL, J/K, Smurfie. But seriously, it can get up to 40oC (about 104oF) out here! And even worse. It's miserable. Although it is a dry heat, so we don't get that sticky, nasty feeling.

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"Wow, someone slept in sex ed!"

To a cooler subject. In winter on the Canadian prairies, they say "It's a dry cold, you dont feel it". Well I've been in Edmonton when it was -40C (which, incidently is also -40F). It's not a dry cold that you don't feel. You can't breath at -40 unless you are wearing several layers of muffler. The car heater can never warm outside air at -40. Even the parking meters have plug-in outlets for your block heater, without which, your car will not start.

There, have I chilled you all out?

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 06-13-2001).]

Posted by Lin (Member # 2050) on :

Oh, I cannot believe I am reading this.

All you people who are complaining about the weather, please just get your butts down to Singapore now.

It is 34-36 degrees all year round. And humid. With no wind. Your sweat literally cannot evaporate.

I deal with it by wearing as little as possible and hanging out in shopping centers. But then again, I have dealt with it for 19 years straight. Day in and day out.

We Singaporeans like to tell people we have four seasons as well.

Hot, Hotter, Hottest and Cool. December is the monsoon season where it just pours and pours and pours. Not fun but at least it is cool.

Posted by Sallynha (Member # 312) on :

Well, here it's not as bad as Singapore, but it's not even Summer yet and temperatures have been around 39ºC for weeks!

The weather is crazy and getting all switched up between seasons, because the Winter usually is very cold here and this past Winter almost looked like Spring, and even had some typical Summer days!
Weird...

Luckily it's cooled down a bit today and I think it's "only" 32ºC, but when you have to walk up and down around town it's awful!

I don't like hot weather much too, what I like is Spring because it's nice and warm, still not hot

I sweat a lot too, esp. if I'm walking a lot, which happens like everyday during school time '

I've just been out and I arrived home like I had been having a shower Now I'm chilling here eheheh

------------------
~Sallynha

ICQ #120172535

Posted by FlirtieGirlie (Member # 2510) on :

It's been 95 here today, and I love having a pool and a nice cool, room in the basement! But I love the hot weather, I'm never uncomfortable in it, and it makes me hate the cold even more....

------------------
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "THAT WAS SO AWESOME!!"

If there's no chocolate in heaven, I ain't going :)

Posted by LilBlueSmurf (Member # 1207) on :

The temperature is STILL climbing ...

On my walk home from school yesterday, it was already 30ºC at 10:30am. That's insane!! W/ the humidex they said it was more like 38ºC !! I think i'll stay inside.

I feel so sorry for you Lin! I would defineatly melt. I love snow and cold weather. But most of the year is snow and cold weather here so i've dealt w/ it

Posted by Celtic Daisy (Member # 2971) on :

Awww...it's freezing here in winnipeg. And it's been raining all week. Geez, can't go outside without a sweater even. *sigh* that's what ya get for living in Winterpeg.hehe

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

quote:
Oy ... it's 30oC weather here.

Geez...it's that temperature INSIDE our house right now!

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

Posted by JunkiePanda (Member # 4006) on :

i live in houston....ugh! the most polluted air in the country, extremely humid, and emtremely hot. i went down to south padre island for four days to enjoy the beach...that is the best heat fighter offer

Posted by Super BubbleGum Gurl (Member # 2456) on :

All you guys are pretty lucky.
I mean, I've been living in 5 degree (celsius) weather for over 3 weeks now. I'm freezin my booty off!
I'll just have to wait until I get to California and when my sister-in-law takes me to Venice Beach next month.
Sun, blonde dudes with surfboards and old guys in rollerblades....ahh....that's the life.

------------------
Bubbles' online thinking bubble....

Posted by Dzuunmod (Member # 226) on :

I think all of us Canadians should just lay off on this hot talk, and instead make cold posts in the winter, when we can really 'brag'.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

quote:
Originally posted by Super BubbleGum Gurl:
I'll just have to wait until I get to California and when my sister-in-law takes me to Venice Beach next month.
Sun, blonde dudes with surfboards and old guys in rollerblades....ahh....that's the life.

Eh, sun anyway! LOL, J/K. Just be careful-remember that sunscreen, and the water might be polluted.

"Yes, mother!" LOL.

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

Posted by glitter695 (Member # 1515) on :

AAAARRGG All the Celicus readings are confusing me!! I dunno Celicus I only in Ferenhent (is that how you spell that?) (Oh wells).

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posted by Gumdrop Girl (Member # 568) on :

to convert from centigrade to fahrenheit:

take ºC measurement and multiply by 9, then divide by 5. add 32. taDA! it's in ºF!

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

A little mnemonic I learned when Canada converted to metric:

30 is hot,

20 is pleasing,

10 is not,

And 0 is freezing!

------------------

- Albert Einstein

Posted by Aquamarine (Member # 3296) on :

Clever mnemonic, Bobo!

I love heat, and I love humidity. I endure the stickiness with nary a murmur--summer is so precious in this northeastern corner of the U.S. My family doesn't share my enthusiasm: my parents and my brother are wont to stay inside when the temperature soars. Inside with their air-conditioning--how strange!

My latest cooling activity -
My friends and I set two sprinklers beneath our trampoline and dragged the stereo out to the middle of my backyard. We cranked the music to a terrifically loud volume, then jumped. And slid. And danced and sang. 'Twas hilarious, soaking, and ultimately fun.

Of course one can omit the trampoline; jumping through a sprinkler is just as nice.

[This message has been edited by Aquamarine (edited 06-19-2001).]

Posted by maro_chik (Member # 4272) on :

It was like 35 degrees here in Manitoba today. I almost died at soccer practice, which involved standing around waiting for people to show up, who, in the end didn't. Well, I came home to an air conditioned house, which then froze me to death. So there's not really a medium right now, so I went for the cold rather than the *melting*.

------------------
~*Maro*~

Posted by Lin (Member # 2050) on :

If you ever want to come to Singapore Aquamarine, you are greatly welcome.

Think the heat and humidity will live up to your expectations.

Posted by WinterDragon (Member # 4178) on :

here its gets about mid 80's-90's i hate it.i love cold wheather(?cant spell really good)in the winter i sleep with the window open and the fan on.COME BACK WINTER!!!sob sob....

------------------
Looking at my own reflection
When suddenly it changes
Violently it changes
Oh no, there is no turning back now
You've woken up the demon in me.
icq#122285963

[This message has been edited by WinterDragon (edited 06-26-2001).]

Posted by DC_WillowFan (Member # 631) on :

Come on !

Why are you complaining, lil smurf ? We barely get summer over here. I must agree that winter is really cold here and that it's better to be cold than hot (cold you can easily warm-up but hot it's hard to cool down)

We already had great hot days (by when this topic started) but it cooled down and now it's all hot again. That's how it'll be all week long. 31'C, 29'C, 32'C... and so on ! Sadly we don't have beaches here (only artificial one) and pools... I never really liked those public ones and I don't own one so I'll stay cool inside with AC.

But you're right (talking to someone, I don't remember who). We should complain in winter too, about being too cold. People in southern US barely now what cold is when it's -40'C over here. Kinda rare to have a cold-wave but it has happened. Although, some people got to experience and small piece of winter last year in US.

Anyway, so happy to have both worlds in Canada.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posted by super_geek (Member # 4353) on :

well, i be in australia where it is winter and cold,
also i don't understand farenheit temperature

Posted by Undercover Cinderella (Member # 4607) on :

heat I can handel, as long as its dry heat....sticky humid heat drives me nuts!
I live by the water so that keeps the temp down somewhat...but it can still be unbearable. If the fan ever breaks I'm gonna die

Posted by CalvinBall (Member # 4723) on :

quote:
My body just doesn't deal well w/ it *at all* and i sweat like a freaking PIG!

haha, u know what's funny? pigs don't sweat. teehee

Posted by justagirl04 (Member # 3824) on :

Here in Clinton, OK... the temp has gotten up to 115 degrees! Most of the time, it's never below 110 during the day.

------------------
So let's go there
Let's make our escape
Come on, let's go there
Let's ask can we stay?

Can you take me higher?
To the place where blind men see
Can you take me higher?
To the place with golden streets

~*SHaNNa*~

It's been almost a year to the day since i last posted and guess what!

It's freezing and cold and is raining non-stop. The power in our school was out for 3 hours today and so we sat in the dark. The emergency lights didn't even stay lit. It's kwaziness!

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posted by Daydreamer24 (Member # 5578) on :

It's 81 degrees here in Houston, Texas with 84% humidity, plus it's 11:30 at night so it's cooler than daytime...

But I'm used to it! In the summer it gets up in the extremely high 90s. I don't like it. I stay inside. 80 degree weather is heaven for us!

Posted by SirenRose (Member # 8384) on :

im in texas and today it got up to 102° and its only june....in marching season it will be like...ohhhh...105°. eh well. i'll get over it.

------------------
later rox.
shorter signature, yes?

Heheheh, i find it humourous that the american weather measurments make absolutly no sense to me. It's not too bad here now, the weather is going from 15-25 and bouncing all around, but the rain stopped so it's all good.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Heheheh, i find it humourous that the american weather measurments make absolutly no sense to me. It's not too bad here now, the weather is going from 15-25 and bouncing all around, but the rain stopped so it's all good.

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posted by Pumpkin_Pie (Member # 5822) on :

Ha!

I wish I could give u all deep insights to how I deal with the good weather, but here I am in Ireland, where sadly, it is true that it is always, always raining!!

Its the middle of June and its raining outside my bedroom window right now!

Posted by Sh!mmeR!ng*staR (Member # 6475) on :

i strip.

------------------
Prosperity that
the golden Muses
gave me was no
delusion: dead, I
won't be forgotten
-Sappho

Posted by JenniLoo (Member # 7058) on :

I live in good ol' southern Georgia. A few weeks ago, it got up to 106 F in the shade! At times like that, I either stay inside, or take a nice dip in the pool!

------------------
~Who live in a pineapple under the sea?~

~ Jenni

Posted by gloworm (Member # 7235) on :

i have to agree with JenniLoo, for i too am a southern gal and summers down here are almost always very hot and sticky. yuck

i have lived here all my life and i still can't get used to the heat sometimes. around later April and early May, it is typical for the temperature to range anywhere between 85 to 97 degrees. and it just keeps climbing well into August and September!

i live in West Alabama now and it rained the past two days, so that provided some relief.

i am just thankful for air conditioning and swimming pools!

p.s. JenniLoo, i noticed you are from Savannah. i visited there a month ago and i love it. i want to move there someday!

Hey gloworm, Savannah is great, I've lived here for almost 14 years. Even though it gets hot around here, we have lots of historical sites and such. It's a great place to be a tourist...Especially around St. Patty's day!

------------------
~Who live in a pineapple under the sea?~

~ Jenni

Posted by alaska (Member # 1896) on :

okay, can i whine now?

europe has been hit by a heatwave: 36°C (96,8°F apparently) today, over 38°C (100°F) tomorrow... and no end in sight yet.

the last few nights haven't been lower than 24°(75°F), with no wind moving.
ack!

yesterday, i didn't mind the heat. was away in geneva, switzerland, and there was a nice constant cooling breeze from the lac lemain at all times (so much that i didn't feel that my shoulders and face were being fried when enjoying the view). but here, in town, there is no wind at all. just warmth, warmth, warmth.
did i mention that my face and shoulders feel terribly hot from the stupid sunburn, too?

and have i mentioned that my flat heats up really well, too, and that i don't have any air-con?

ack.

i'll hop to the pool tomorrow at 7am, before the sun is evil enough to hurt my poor sundamaged skin further. i just need to submerge my body in cool water....

any heatwaves anywhere else?

Posted by BruinDan (Member # 3072) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Alaska:
any heatwaves anywhere else?

Yep. I guess summertime is upon us...and I'm really not prepared for it at all. I left for work yesterday morning at about 7am, and it was already pushing 90* F. When all was said and done, my poor apartment sizzled at about 104. Not too bad really, but very early in the year. LA doesn't usually get the serious heat until July, and even that pales in comparison to what the end of August tends to bring.

Our big concern out here is lack of water. It has rained a grand total of four times in the past 16 months, and the hills have already gone brownish-yellow--which is something that usually doesn't happen until August. The joke is that if brush fires don't kill us, dehydration will...and they're not far off in their assessment.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posted by k (Member # 8724) on :

Winnipeg has the worst weather, it's either evilly hot or evilly cold.. but still, there are some days when it's so nice.....

Ack! I know how you feel, Alaska, about the sunburn...I have Irish-white skin, and if I even think about the sun, my skin starts to burn! All I can say about that is lots of sunscreen will do the trick, plus, it helps prevent skin cancer from all those nasty UV rays.

------------------
~Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?~

~ Jenni

Posted by PixieDust (Member # 4003) on :

Vegas is just one huge heat wave. It's a different kind of heat though (extremely dry). We can get relief by going in the shade. All the other places you have mentioned, besides pheonix, I'm sure have to have a considerable amount of humidity. I'd much rather take Vegas desert heat over sticky-can't-dry-off-after-a-shower heat.

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.