This is topic just looking for a percentage figure! in forum Sex Basics and Sexual Health at Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive).

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/2/t/013461.html

Posted by curoiusboutstuff (Member # 39791) on :

Me and my girlfriend had been having sex for about 6 months when she has been on the pill and i always pull out before I come. We both are very careful that she takes it the same time everyday as we would have sex about twice a day before we broke for the summer holidays.Last nite we met up and had sex and I think I may have come inside her but she said she didnt think I did, she was after her week off the pill and only on her second day back on it, if i did come inside her, is there a high risk she could be pregnant? I think it was her 4th or 5th day of the cycle? Is there anyway to that you could estimate a ball park percentage chance of pregnancy? Thanks in Advance...

Posted by September (Member # 25425) on :

When used exactly as directed, the effectiveness rate of the pill is over 99%. And that's regardless of whatever else you're using in terms of protection.

Since it's really hard to take the pill exactly to the letter, she's likely not at 99%, but if she's really good about it, she's likely above the typical use rate of 92%. So, those are the numbers you've got to work with.

So, I'd say that you don't have anything to worry about.

Posted by curoiusboutstuff (Member # 39791) on :

thanks very much happy to hear!!

Posted by Amy A (Member # 40137) on :

What's the difference between typical and perfect use?

I mean I know missing pills or taking them at the wrong time would NOT be perfect use.

But if taken within the same 3 hour window daily, and never missing any, wouldn't that be perfect use? What's really hard about that - am I missing something? Thanks, just curious =)

Posted by -Vero- (Member # 26516) on :

Missing one pill will generally bring you to the typical use rate of effectiveness. If you're taking your pills within the same 3 hour window every day, and have never missed any, then you're as close to perfect use as you can be.

Here's some more information: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

Let us know if you need more clarification!

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.