This is topic Acidophilus in forum Ask Scarleteen at Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive).

To visit this topic, use this URL:

Posted by Roxie102 (Member # 72015) on :
Is it safe to put an acidophilus capsule in the vagina? I feel this would be less messy than yogurt and maybe even more effective.
Posted by Heather (Member # 3) on :
I assume you mean for yeast infections?

If so, certainly, that's how some people do it.

I'd just make sure you're using the kind found in the refridgerated section of a store: the kind sitting out on the shelf at room temp likely have few live cultures to offer you.
Posted by Roxie102 (Member # 72015) on :
yes, I do have the refridgerated kind. I've been taking them by mouth but I'd heard they could also be inserted vaginally, so thanks, I'll try that.

Is the dosage like one tablet per day vaginally?
Posted by Heather (Member # 3) on :
With DIY stuff like this, you're really on your own.

If you have a full-blown yeast infection, personally, I'd already say you're past DIY, no matter what kind.

If it's something mild, then what I'd do is just use the smallest amount you can at first, and see how that goes.

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.