Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » What's Your Self-Care Weekend Ideal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's Your Self-Care Weekend Ideal?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This week, I'm taking three days for myself to do an at-home, self-care retreat.

You all know how it goes: I've felt tired, frazzled, stressed, and in need of some things to take the edge off that are about caring for myself. As plenty of you probably also know, when you go without that for too long, it can really jam you up.

Thus, my three days this week.

I sat down with pen and paper and wrote out what I intend to do during that time, with a focus on the things I know really help me chill out, re-center and just take very good care of myself.

For me, that looks like:
• A ton of yoga and meditation, two to three times a day, without any time limits on it; just the ability do do it for as long as I'd like each time
• Time spent outside
• Nothing but raw foods and fresh juices (I eat like this much of the time anymore, so that might sound like torture to some of you, but three days of nothing but raw is my idea of heaven at this point)
• Basic body-care/love stuff, like baths when I want them, lots of dry brushing, re-purpling the hair I make purple, soaking my feet, etc.
• Reading, and NOT work-books
• Trying to learn to nap (I have never accomplished this skill, not even as a kid)
• Time to play my instruments
• Time to snuggle with the dogs and my sweetie
• No-rush phone catchups with my closest friends and family
• Doing some artwork or writing just for myself
• Making the space I live in more beautiful, rather than racing to clean it
• Water: so much drinking of water
• Let's be real: sex is in there, too.

So, that's me. And I'm so, so looking forward to it, and know that doing something like this also helps me to get back in the groove with self-care more often around some of these things, even if I can't devote the same amount of time to them in an average week or day.

Whether or not you might have the ability soon to give yourself a self-care retreat of sorts, what would yours look like? What would be in it? Why not try making a list and keeping it somewhere so even if you don't have a couple days, when you've got a few minutes, and know you need some self-care, you can pull something off the list?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about this a lot lately! This is what my usual self-care list looks like:
  • Making food, especially baking something like a cake or cookies
  • Taking a walk where I bring my camera and take pictures as I go
  • Riding my bike
  • Knitting, usually while I listen to music or podcasts I enjoy
  • Snuggling with my partner or with my cats
  • Reading something fun and fluffy
  • Drinking coffee, my ultimate comfort food

When I first moved to the city I lived in now and it felt like my life had been uprooted and shaken about a bit, I started a list of "fun things to look forward to" that included things like what I listed above but also specific places in the city I wanted to visit, art I wanted to hang on the walls, and habits I wanted to start in my new house. It was nice to have more of a long-term self-care plan, and that's something I'd like to do again soon.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really suck at taking downtime. If I don't have something to be busy and excited about I feel lost. I also don't tend to get stuff done unless I schedule it.

That said, I present to you the list of guilty pleasures:
- EATING, especially ramen or mac & cheese or carbs
- Singing/playing music
- Cross-stitch
- Having a beer or 3 at my "local"
- Groping my wife
- Watching Grey's Anatomy/Glee with my wife while consuming carbs
- buying shiny things

The list of things that would actually be good for me to do:
- Go for a walk, not just to the bus stop
- Cook dinner for my wife
- Sing/play music
- Spend less time on social media at work
- learn to focus on everyday tasks, not just special exciting ones
- consume less carbs

Things I am doing to bridge the gap:
- My wife is teaching me to cook
- New job makes it easier to focus (most of the time)
- I'm joining the local gay & lesbian choir so I will actually sing

I can never be straightforward about these things, can I?

Marion

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My list:

-Drink large quantities of Jersey Milk (I know this is probably pretty unhealthy physically, but it's one of my ultimate comforts, also if I'd done this very recently when I was having the self-care weekend I'd probably skip it and just have semi-skimmed or dessert instead)
-Drink plenty of water
-Drink some fruit juice
-Eat cheesecake/pasta with cheese/fruit/veggies/bacon/other things I enjoy eating
-Listen to music/dance/sing
-Masturbate
-Take a shower/Brush my teeth
-Watch one or more of my favourite feel-good movies
-Watch a cour (about 5 and a half hours) of anime or some other stretch of TV show of a similar length (maybe a quarter of a longer show season would be good, like something with 40 min-1 hour long episodes)
-Treat myself to a little retail therapy (if I can afford it, and I'd be happy with just finding a couple of cheap secondhand CDs I wanted on Amazon or something like that)
-Go for a walk (which would also mean getting to spend some time outside)
-Read an entire novel (or at least a big chunk of one) or several volumes of manga
-Doing some artwork or writing
-Cuddling my cuddly toys

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alex dubya
Neophyte
Member # 93291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alex dubya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This list is a little bit of a crossover between self-care and my distractions list for when I feel upset or anxious. But it's all about taking small steps to treat myself well.

-Sketch
-Play one of my instruments
-Masturbate
-Watch Netflix
-Take a really hot shower
-Go for a walk
-Paint my nails
-Make a strong cup of coffee
-Make something nice for someone else
-Take a (short) nap
-Write a message to someone I love
-Have a beer
-Windowshop online!

Posts: 5 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for That Strange CT child     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heres mine, the last one is as of this weekend
Sleep
Eat
Drink tea
Eat junkfood
Cook or bake
Masturbate
Photograph
Do homework
Take care of my animalz!!! [Big Grin]
Self harm [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] (i started again on saturday and i cant stop)

--------------------
It is my hope that what i ask here is answered for me and anyone else afraid to ask the same question :)

Posts: 133 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, That Strange CT child: can we perhaps agree that listing self-harm as self-care is a bit like listing starvation under what you ate today?

In other words, I see you did a lot of self-care, and then you also engaged in some self-harm. But I hear you recognizing that AS self-harm, which is the antithesis of self-care. So, how about either crossing it off this list, just for yourself (you don't have to edit your post for our benefit), or just acknowledging that you did a bunch of what sounds like great self-care, but also hurt yourself, too. Which happens sometimes: self-care is great stuff, but alas, it's not magic. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for That Strange CT child     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok [Smile]
I am unable to edit the post but its off my list
I figured to put it on since although it causes minor physical damage, it does help distract me from mental pain
I have a few more things to add to my list that r positive though:

Draw
Text
Play iPod games
Sometimes watch TV
Grow plants
Find stupid stuff to laugh at
Make up mythical creatures and languages (though im getting sick of doing this)

--------------------
It is my hope that what i ask here is answered for me and anyone else afraid to ask the same question :)

Posts: 133 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueberry
Activist
Member # 101779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great thread [Smile]

Here's my list:
  • Eat lots of fruit and vegetables and yoghurt with honey
  • Drink plenty of water (and tea)
  • Sleep a lot
  • Cuddle up in the sofa with my boyfriend
  • Watch a movie or documentary I've wanted to see for a long time
  • Read a good book, just for fun
  • Paint or draw, take photos, or do something else that makes me feel inspired
  • Decorate our apartment
  • Put on some good music and do a silly dance in the living room with my boyfriend or by myself if I'm alone
  • Bake something or try out a new recipe
  • Clean out clothes and other things I don't use anymore and give them to charity (perhaps I've read too many feng shui books, but this always makes me feel like I'm cleaning up my messy thoughts as well)
  • Take a bath (if I had a bathtub), or go to the sauna
  • Do something physical that doesn't feel like exercise (in a bad way), like swimming or taking a walk in the woods
  • Hang out with nice people in a relaxed environment (not sure if this counts as self-care?)

Posts: 66 | From: Scandinavia | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Self-care. I think about this a lot.

Here is my self-care...being outside, yoga, farmers market and fresh food, art projects with my daughter, lots of sleep, red wine, music, FWF podcast, gardening, cuddling up. It makes me happy just typing about it.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazyhorseperson
Activist
Member # 109011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorseperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My self-care:
-playing with rats
-visiting boyfriend (and playing with his cats)
-movie nights
-take a long, hot, soothing shower
-sleep
-eat fruit, veggies, and chocolate
-read (fanfiction or novels)
-do homework that doesn't need done for weeks yet, just so it can be off my to-do-list
-getting a haircut (always very soothing, for some reason - and next time I might get the ends dyed or something similar)

Posts: 48 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- Having a marathon of a TV show I've been meaning to catch up on
- Watching a movie on Netflix that I normally wouldn't watch
- Painting/decorating my nails
- Taking a hot detox bath (I have a great recipe for those interested!)
- Talking on the phone to my best friend who lives far away and I don't get to see very often
- Looking up artists who inspire me and start working on sketches for new projects I want to start on
- Hanging out with my mom
- Making dinner and watching movies/cuddling with my boyfriend
- Crocheting
- Adding a fun new color to my hair (I like purple too Heather!)

[ 02-19-2014, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: CraftyKid ]

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaizen
Neophyte
Member # 108007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
* Reading
* Writing
* Making up stories (this is a different thing than writing; when I write something down I feel I have to make it 'good', which is fun in a different way. When I make up stories in my mind, they usually involve putting myself in some other scenario. A padawan in Star Wars, for example :-) )
* Journaling
* Listening to my 'feel good' playlist
* Playing mindless online games like Bejeweled or Neopets games
* Playing some Just Dance
* Talking to my boyfriend/my mom/my housemates
* Rereading old journals or stories I wrote years ago
* Cleaning something where you actually get the satisfaction of seeing it come clean. Examples: washing dishes, wiping mirrors or windows, vacuuming or dusting something that really needs it
* Making something in GIMP, possibly for my tumblr
* Crocheting
* Hot chocolate or chai tea
* Treating myself to something I've been wanting for awhile (shopping-wise or eating-wise)

--------------------
~Bee o( l l )-

Posts: 24 | From: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silvergirl_sailing_on
Activist
Member # 110025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silvergirl_sailing_on     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread just made me think of all the things I want to be doing but can't until my exams are over because I really should be studying!

Reading non-course-related books.
Spending a whole day with my boyfriend doing just whatever occurs to us to do.
Singing
Playing my instruments
Actually getting round to learning guitar (!)
Drawing/painting
Painting my nails (or spending a ridiculous amount of time on pinterest looking at nail designs for inspiration and then realising I don't have time to paint mine before bed)
Baths. Plural.
Eating my favourite ice cream from my favourite ice cream shop. (McCallum Crunch- it's vanilla ice cream with raspberry sauce and honeycomb chunks, mmmmm.)
Finally psyching myself up to dying my hair a colour not even all that different from what it already is.
Late nights and long lies.
Buying old-fashioned sweets and eating all of them.
Splurging on a box of the best flavour pop-tarts that are an absolute fortune because all of the most awesome flavours have to be imported from America- brown sugar and cinnamon! (And eating at least one each of the three days.)
Not driving at all so spending nights with a few glasses of peach schnapps and lemonade.

That got really foody really fast... Maybe I'm just hungry...

--------------------
~Ciara

"Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine, all your dreams are on their way."

Posts: 40 | From: Scotland | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acb
Activist
Member # 108645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of take a just-enough-to-keep-you-sane approach to self care due to time restraints but this has inspired me to take three days next week to give myself some proper TLC. I think I will...

- Practise some good recipes to get me enthusiastic about my brand new vegetarianism
- Read poetry
- Run
- Go climbing
- Sleep
- Paint my nails
- Wash my hair with the fancy conditioner
- Make lists and sort out my diary (I love having things well organised)
- Call my parents and my partner
- Levelling up each of my languages by one level on DuoLingo
- Masturbate

I used to make sure that I'd always have one day a week, or at least an afternoon, booked off for whatever I felt I needed that I hadn't done that week, whether that was self care or extra time to catch up on a specific project or to call a friend. It made me so much less stressed because I always had some time in reserve in case of emergencies. I might try to reintroduce that idea somehow. [Smile]

Posts: 49 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.