Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Pregnancy anxiety

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy anxiety
La95
Neophyte
Member # 89238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for La95         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently been struggling with quite a lot of worry that I might be pregnant. Since I last had sex (we used a condom and I am on the pill, though wasn't taking it perfectly), I have had 2 periods and 3 negative pregnancy tests, but I just can't stop worrying... I know I am being irrational, I just keep getting worried, searching on the internet and finding stories about people who got negative pregnancy tests until well into their pregnancy or even got bleeds like normal periods while pregnant...I have had sex before quite a few times, but never worried this much...
Anyone else in a situation like this? I need advice on getting through this...

Posts: 18 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI La95,

You used two reliable forms of birth control, have had your regular withdrawal bleeds, and have had 3 negative pregnancy tests. This means that you are not pregnant.

presuming that you took the pregnancy tests according to their directions and at an appropriate time after the sexual activity you're concerned about (at least two weeks afterwards) there is no reason to expect that the tests were inaccurate. pregnancy tests have an extremely high rate of accuracy when taken correctly.

So, what this is about is the fear, rather than the possibility of being pregnant, since the latter really isn't a possibility at all at this point. Have you experienced strogn fears and anxieties like this aroudn other things in the past?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
La95
Neophyte
Member # 89238

Thank you for the reply. Yes I took the tests 2 weeks and 5 weeks after the the activity I was talking about, so logically I know I am not pregnant.. but every few days I get terrified about the small chance that I could be pregnant, based on what I have been reading from the internet. Its like I know that everything is ok, and I am not pregnant, but I can't make myself believe it...
I have had panic attacks before, but never a fear like this, lasting this long and so strong.. I just don't know where to start with recovering from it. I feel like every time I start to feel better, I am suddenly back to square 1.Though reading back on this, one thing I will stop doing is googling symptoms and reading stories.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I strongly do suggest that you stop googling symptoms and stories. you have no way of verifying whether what you're reading is true, (and in a lot of cases the stories either aren't true or are missing vital information), and the reading sounds like it's just distressing you. [Smile]

What have you done in the past to manage the panic attacks?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
La95
Neophyte
Member # 89238

I will do that. In the past panic attacks were just isolated events, I visited a doctor once because I was unaware it was a panic attack...beyond that, I never had to do anything, once the attack was over, so was any feeling of panic.
La95
Neophyte
Member # 89238

I calmed down for a few days and now I am anxious again. My abdomen, below my belly button is starting to bulge a bit ( I am sure of this) and I keep thinking I might be pregnant. I am so sorry, I feel like I am wasting your time with all this irrational worry, but I am terrified.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you yet looked into getting mental healthcare to address this ongoing anxiety? If not, sounds like it's time for that step.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68249 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
La95
Neophyte
Member # 89238

I'm not sure how to go about that, but I will try. I feel as though if I could know for certain I wasn't pregnant (as in actually know, not try to convince myself) this would all go away.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to do that, you'd have to trust the pregnancy tests you have taken, but you seem to be saying you don't.

As well, you can obviously wait several months and it'll be pretty darn obvious you're not pregnant, too.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68249 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
La95
Neophyte
Member # 89238

Ok, thanks for your patience
hay776532ley
Neophyte
Member # 108418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hay776532ley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I already posted somewhere else but im posting here because im currently having major anxiety.

i had sex with a condom around 12 days ago. im not on the pill. i dont think the condom broke but im not positive. i havent taken a test yet and im supposed to get my period around the next 2 weeks. my stomach is so nauseous right now and i just need someone to give me some encouraging words considering i do have a history of anxiety and i think im having an anxiety attack.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi hay776532ley,

I answered your question in your other thread. Please don't double-post questions; there aren't always people around to answer your questions immediately but we will get to them when we can. Double-posting won't make it happen faster.

Posts: 1346 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hay776532ley
Neophyte
Member # 108418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hay776532ley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only posted here so people could help me calm down a little
Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, that's on me for not double-checking which forum you posted on, sorry about that.
Have you seen this article yet? It has a lot of ideas on how you can practice some self-care and try to manage your anxiety around this: Self-Care a la Carte

Posts: 1346 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hay776532ley
Neophyte
Member # 108418

No I havent. thank you this looks like this could do alot of help for me! will definitley keep this handy [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.