Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » MASSIVE setback :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MASSIVE setback :(
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddleyLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
heya guys [Smile]

i havent posted for a while, unfortunately ive just had a really big setback with my anxiety i need to share.

yesterday evening, my bladder felt funny when i went to the toilet, and progressively got worse at the evening wore on, with me passing blood aswell. i got myself into a state and finally convinced my mum to take me to A and E. upon arrival, urine was taken, and to my devestation they did a pregnancy test which showed a v faint positive. given my track record, you can imagine what this did to me. bc of the questionable result, blood was taken for tests to confirm/deny the test. i waited from half 11 at night to 3:30 for the results, and it was the longest night of my life, it was terrible, all these feelings came flooding back :'(

finally, the results came back....not pregnant!!!!! [Big Grin] but a UTI unfortunately [Frown]

i so want to be relived and move on, but uh oh, the doubts and anxietys are creeping in....help?? [Frown] xxx

Posts: 199 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Maddley!

Sorry to see that you're feeling crummy at the moment! [Frown] Have you thought about talking to a counselor or therapist regarding the anxiety and concerns that have come back?

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddleyLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no, im going on holiday later and don't have time :/

its like, my worst nightmare came true, having a positive pregnancy test, even tho it was faint [Frown] does anyone know how accurate the blood test would be? if I was pregnant, if a urine test was positive, would the blood test also be?

the doctor was like your NOT pregnant but I cant help having niggling doubts...maybe it wasn't my blood, it was very very late, maybe a mistake was made with the testing...

this has really really upset me :'(

[ 07-26-2013, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: MaddleyLove ]

Posts: 199 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Maddley,

Are you still going for counseling?

Did the counselor you were seeing before give you strategies for getting control over these kinds of racing thoughts and anxious feelings?

If you are still in counseling, it seems to me that doing what you can to get in to see your counselor needs to be a priority for you right now, since this anxiety is clearly going to impact your quality of life until you can get it under control.

We've already talked with you at length about the facts of pregnancy, pregnancy tests, and so on, so going over those facts again isn't going to be useful for anyone. [Smile] This seems very clearly to be about doing what you can to curb this anxiety.

[ 07-26-2013, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

no, my counselling finished a while back, i thought i was on top of it, but then this developed over a few hours and kinda overwhelmed me [Frown]

about the blood test...have you an article on their accuracy at all? i so want to believe the dr, and when i asked the nurse she said yes, the blood test is the ultimate result. but i dont know the level of accuracy that comes from a blood pregnancy test, and whether it overrides the urine test?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maddley,

The accuracy of blood tests is something that you can talk to your healthcare provider about.

So, there are a couple of things you can do here.

1. use the techniques that I presume you learned in counseling to help you with this setback. That's what counseling is technically for, to give us tools so we can manage on our own. [Smile]

2. Contact your healthcare provider and tell them you have some questions about the pregnancy testing process.

if you'd like to read more about pregnancy tests, you can also head to our main site (www.scarleteen.com) and search for articles and information there.

[ 07-26-2013, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

im going to take the info he sent me on holiday.

in your opinion, do you think i could be pregnant after what ive described? please, i need to know what you think before i have no internet access for two weeks and drive myself mad worrying [Frown]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Maddley,

This is a question you need to ask your healthcare provider. It sounds like your healthcare provider has already told you, actually.

If you're not able to assess your pregnancy risk based on the information you've already been given about how pregnancy does and doesn't happen, what we say here isn't going to mean a whole lot particularly if you don't believe your healthcare provider.

So, since you're going to take the information you've been given by your counselor on holiday with you, how about working through that and seeing if it helps with your worry?

Again, you also have the option of calling your healthcare provider and asking for more information from them.

[ 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

I think im going to have to go back to counselling, I am not coping with this at all, the guilt, the worry :'(
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Have you called to make an appointment?

--------------------
Robin

MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

no, ill need to go back to my doctor to be re-referred [Frown]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.