Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Frustrated.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frustrated.
xneed2knowx
Activist
Member # 30216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xneed2knowx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been going to a therapist appointed by my work. We've talked about quite a bit about everything. It has gone well, or so I thought.

She seems to think that my abortion is the root of everything. It is not. I tell her that I am fine with that. She disagrees. It's really frustrating to me. She suggested a Christian support group for abortion. I told her no. That is not what I need, nor what I want. She says I am resistant because I am afraid of facing it. She is so wrong.

She blames my eating disorder on the abortion simply because it made it's debut after that time. Actually it didn't start until a year ago and the abortion is not the reason why.

I'm tired of her telling me that I wont "heal" or get better until I deal with the abortion. I have dealt with it! There is nothing left to deal with. I'm tired of her blaming my actions on that day. There is way more to me than my abortion.

Frustrating.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask why your therapist is suggesting religiously-oriented services for you? Did you request that?

Can I also ask if you checked into this person's background? Have you asked her to review the actual data and studies around the psychological impact (or really, lack of impact for most, with the data we have) of abortion?

If nothing else, have you asked her if perhaps her own politics might be giving her bias here? Or for a referral to a different therapist? It sounds like she's clearly not a good fit for you.

(I don't mean to ask big questions and run off, btw. I have to head out for the night for now, but I'll be around in the morning.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xneed2knowx
Activist
Member # 30216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xneed2knowx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received religious oriented services because I work for a religious organization and if I went there it was free. My boss is the one who recommended it.

Since I wrote this post I got approved for income based health care in a nearby facility. I had a checkup, which was a bit rough, and they referred me to their on-site counselors which are also income based. I have my first appointment on January 8th. I guess I'll give it a try. The other therapist was obviously not a good match for me.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI xneed2knowx,

I'm sorry to hear the check-up was rough but I'm glad to hear that you've found healthcare that may well be a better match to your needs. Best of luck with the counsellor. Know that it's absolutely acceptable for you to let the counsellor know that your previous counselling experience was frustrating and not helpful for you.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd also messaged about concerns with retaining your job if you didn't keep using their counselor.

Is that still something you're worried about?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xneed2knowx
Activist
Member # 30216

I was concerned about that but I think as long as I can tell them that I'm receiving services somewhere then I'll be ok. I just hope this works out. I'm really tired of talking to therapists. I'm not looking forward to starting entirely over with someone new and I really am losing hope that things will ever change.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI xneed2knowx,

Yes, I can imagine that it feels tedious to have to start all over again. Is there anything we can do to support you to help make that a little easier?

I noticed that you said above that your medical check-up was rough. I'm sorry to hear that. If you feel like you need to talk about that, we're happy to listen.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xneed2knowx
Activist
Member # 30216

I just wish I knew why I do the things that I do. I never imagined myself in this place. You know when you're in a really bad place and you see yourself free of it all...this is hardly what you envision. What gives...

I was in the hospital for dehydration issues and they are the ones who told me about this income based clinic. I arranged an appointment and my weight is 100 pounds, which at 5'7 generally isn't ideal. I never feel well anymore and as a single mom of two kids it's scary. I want desperately to be well for them.

I'm willing to try anything so that's why I keep pressing on and talking with new people. I'm just hoping someone can 'fix' me. I was really irritated with the doctor because she put me on Paxil and referred me to the counselors. I wanted immediate results!! I hate going through the process you know?

Anyway, it is what it is.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Nodding...

What kind of immediate results were you hoping for?

Do you think it might help ease the process of going to this new counsellor if you wrote down some of the things you wanted her to know?

--------------------
Robin

xneed2knowx
Activist
Member # 30216

Just to feel better...and yes I'm sure that would help.
xneed2knowx
Activist
Member # 30216

Heather
Heather
Member # 3

Hey there: how are you?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

xneed2knowx
Activist
Member # 30216

I've always lived along the lines of, "I'm not broken, I'm just bent" but now I think I'm just broken.
Heather
Member # 3

I'm off for the night, I'm afraid, but how about you fill me in a bit better and we can get talking tomorrow?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.