Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I Feel Useless

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Feel Useless
BellaMenina
Neophyte
Member # 102177

Icon 9 posted      Profile for BellaMenina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
I'm a junior in college and well, this semester has been just awful.
I took too many classes and I've just been failing in all of them.
I mean this semester I had to buy 20 books!
20 books!
Just looking at them makes me want to cry!
I have three 10-page essays due in 3 weeks and they are all due the same day!
I just checked out 10 more books in order to do those essays!
I am going insane!
I have been skipping a lot of my classes lately and I just want to cry and cry.
I haven't told my parents what I'm going through because I don't want to disappoint them.
But I did tell my mom that school has been burning me out and I told her I would be a part time student next year even if I don't graduate next spring an surprisingly she accepted.
I don't know guys, I don't know what to do.
I had a presentation to do today and a quiz and I just skipped class because I just can't focus.
I can't study!
I go home everyday thinking I'm going to stay focused and study but I just can't.
Where did my motivation go?
I feel so stupid. :'[

Posts: 19 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry you feel so overwhelmed!

Have you started by accessing our college counseling services -- the academic ones -- to get help with all of this? If not, I'd say it's past time to do that as your best place to start.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BellaMenina
Neophyte
Member # 102177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BellaMenina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you mean MY college counseling services?
If so, then no I haven't. :[

Posts: 19 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the typo: yep, that's what I meant.

Since you haven't, how about scheduling an appointment with them today?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BellaMenina
Neophyte
Member # 102177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BellaMenina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do it tomorrow. I really need some help. Not sure how they're gonna help me pass my classes in a month but I'll go. :'[
Heather
Member # 3

Probably, what they will do with you is help you figure out what to do to do the best you can, which may be something like dropping or taking incompletes on one or two classes so you can pass the others, etc.

but this is what academic advisors do, what they're there for, and they're the best experts to help someone with all of this.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you're going to get in touch with academic counselling, which is great. Like Heather said, they'll be the experts in knowing the best way to help.

Are there other things going on in your life that are making it tough to focus on your classes? A large workload can definitely be overwhelming, but if there are other stressful or important things going on, that can certainly make it a lot harder to focus on school. You may find it helpful to ask about other types of counseling when you see your academic advisor; your student health center might have some counselors that can help you find some ways to deal with the stress of a lot of school work and who can talk with you about anything else you have going on.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BellaMenina
Neophyte
Member # 102177

Oh so you guys are talking about me going to my academic counselor! I thought you guys were talking about like stress counselors at the health center! Well the date to drop any classes was like 3 weeks ago. :/ Not sure what incompletes are.
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because drop date has passed doesn't mean an academic counselor will be of no use to you. In some cases they can make exceptions to dropping classes (though this is usually marked as a withdrawal or incomplete on your transcript, at least here at my university) and, even when that's not an option, they're likely to be able to help you sort out your stress level, connect you with any support you need to get back on track academically, and are also a possible support in mediating between you and your professors over any missed assignments etc. where that's possible or necessary. In other words they're probably your number one resource at this point to getting you back on track and helping you with your studies. At the very least they can help you figure out what your options are going forward so you're not operating in the dark.

That said going into see a counselor at your health centre could also be a great resource and if you feel like that's something you're up to, getting some support in person about all of this stress would likely be a huge help as well.

[ 04-02-2013, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: skiesofgreen ]

Posts: 245 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BellaMenina
Neophyte
Member # 102177

Thank you guys so much!
I'll email my advisor right away and schedule an appointment!

BellaMenina
Neophyte
Member # 102177

I feel so shitty and I feel as if my brain was just dead.
I just want to cry but I have to start these essays!
I'm honestly at a point where I could care less about school.
I know I have just one more year before I graduate but I just feel so sick and tired of school!
In one of my classes I have missed 2 weeks of school already.
And that's one of the classes where I need to turn in my 10-page essay.
I just feel like giving up on that class.
I could care less if I fail right now.
I just need help. :'(
And no guys, I never spoke to my advisor.
I thought I'd be able to make it through but I couldn't.
We have 2 weeks of school left and I just can't handle all this anymore. :'(

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bella,

I'm so sorry that things are still really rough for you.

I think you're right that you need some help right now; you say you haven't contacted your school's counselling services yet, but I think that's your next step. Can you make it your goal to get in touch with someone there today?

Those services are there specifically to help you out - even if it feels like a scary thing to say that you need help, I think once you get in touch with some support services you will be glad you did.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Honestly, I also think that if you don't do what you can to get the kind of help you actually need, you need to know that things will most likely keep getting worse.

In situations like these, if we intentionally avoid doing the things we CAN do to make things better, they're just not going to.

As well, I hear you asking us for help again, but we've already directed you to the resources we know will help you with a situation like this. Now it's up to you to be proactive and utilize them.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

BellaMenina
Neophyte
Member # 102177

You're right. I need help. I'll get help. Thanks!
Heather
Member # 3

::waves pompoms::

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.