Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Class issues. Need help ASAP. I know I'm not losing my mind, but still...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Class issues. Need help ASAP. I know I'm not losing my mind, but still...
jazzberry
Activist
Member # 59137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzberry         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't exactly the place to discuss academic problems, but I've found this place the most helpful in general. Any and all help is welcome, though the sooner the better. I'd need an answer soon...I'm speaking one-on-one with a prof in my theatre program in the next few days.

I've long-known the program has favouritism among the students, and in the past few shows I've worked on, I've been given smaller and smaller roles. The prof in question is overseeing the next show, and has a reputation as a fair director/caster. I've spent the past few shows working as hard as I can to show that I can do better than a few lines or stage filler, but...that hasn't happened.

The prof has always been supportive of my work in the past, and has said often that I've made strides in improving my acting. I've heard the same comments from other teachers as well, and at this point, I don't know who to believe or who to trust. If I've improved so much, and my profs often commend my work, why has my status in casting remained unchanged? I'm sick of getting the bit parts normally reserved for students in danger of failure/expulsion (and I'm a honours student).

I want to speak diplomatically with the prof about this group hierarchy issue, and I'm not sure how to get my point across without sounding egotistical or entitled. To an outsider, it sounds like whining. From my perspective, I want to prove that I can play a variety of roles, small as well as large. I feel like I haven't been allowed to do that. I'm also a bit scared of my profs by now, because I feel like any vulnerability will be exploited against me.

I know I can act. I'm just sick of being perpetually sidelined. And I don't know how to verbalize that...to someone in person.

Posts: 63 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's slow right now, so I'm coo answering this, but in the future, we do like to ask people to try and post within our scope as a sexuality education service, okay? It just makes it much tougher to do our jobs when a precedent gets set of going too far afield of that, especially when it isn't slow.

I feel like if a bigger part is really what you want, then it's likely politic not to bring up favoritism BEFORE you audition.

Certainly, if you audition, bring your A-game and don't get something larger again, THEN seems to me the better time to mention it. Mentioning it before just doesn't strike me as likely helping you get what you want here. In fact, it seems like it's more likely to be a barrier, and possibly be interpreted as you NOT having the abilities and skills you do, if you follow me.

Mentioning it in advance of that just doesn't strike me as politic, and as what would best support you getting better cast.

How about if instead of talking about favoritism in advance with this prof, you instead simply voice your desire to get a bigger role, and ask for some guidance or constructive criticism about what he thinks you might be able to do to best demonstrate your abilities in that regard when you audition? You can voice he's said you have made strides, and that you would like to aim to best bring them to the table in the hopes of getting a part that reflects that.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you laying out your feelings on the table here is a great start!

Though I'm not a performance studies major in any sense, I can understand where you're coming from. It sucks to not have your work be recognized, especially when you're working very hard to achieve just that.

I think that it's really important to say what you've said here to your professor. Though I do understand your concerns with appearing whiney or egotistical or entitled, I think that if you convey your thoughts in a confident-and-not-proud manner, I don't see why your professor should have any qualms with your concern [Smile]

With communication in general, nobody's a mind reader. Expressing your concerns would, at the very least, inform your professor that this is what's going on with you, and that you'd like to do something about it. Hopefully they'd be reasonable and discuss potential opportunities for you to play larger roles from there.

Again, I'm not a performance arts major and maybe this entirely not how this sort of thing goes, so if there's someone you trust "IRL" who knows exactly what you're talking about(like one of your peers or a teaching assistant or someone) I would recommend fleshing out your concerns with them, too, before you confront your professor. It might also be good to write a mental script in your head, to sort of guarantee that your thoughts come out right? That's something I like to do, anyway [Smile]

I do hope this helps- again, it's good that you're laying out your feelings on the table. They're not wrong to have, and it's good to get a fresh look at it and gain other people's perspectives on it. Good luck!

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzberry
Activist
Member # 59137

Heather, I'm aware that this place isn't the greatest space to ask about problems like this--I'll find other areas for next time and save this space for more appropriate material.

The issue is, as Heather said, auditioning well and still not getting further. The casting has been done already, and it's the last show of the season, so it's "too late" to do anything about it for the future there. I still want to understand it from the prof--though I fear the reveal is they still think I'm not good.

Thanks for your responses though; I really appreciate it!

Posts: 63 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick idea here: you're an actor right? Why not play the role of you, but an idealized version of you when you go to talk to your prof?

If you're afraid of seeming timid then idealized you is confident beyond beleiif. If you want to appear extra mature, then idealized you can do it.

I'm not sure if that will help.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, am I getting that there isn't anything to audition FOR at this point?

Sorry if I misunderstood!

[ 02-22-2013, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzberry
Activist
Member # 59137

Heather--you're getting it now. There's no more auditions left, and it's the last show.

It won't be until Monday/Tuesday that I see this prof again, so it also gives me some space to create a mental script of sorts to go over the issues. moonlight's suggestion might help.

[ 02-22-2013, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: jazzberry ]

Heather
Member # 3

So sorry I didn't follow you correctly.

So, it's already been cast, and you didn't get the kind/size of part you wanted?

If so, then for sure, you're at the after, and I don't see any reason not to ask about this, and to be very candid. After all, there's nothing left to lose at this point.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone with a bit of a clue in the general area, I'm going to put in a very strong vote, like Heather, for "hell-no-don't-mention-the-favouritism!"

I Do think, though, that there's potentially a lot of value in mentioning the overall situation, just maybe with a different framing. It totally happens that people can sometimes get into habits with casting people, or assumptions about what people can do or what people want. It's not always the case, but sometimes, if it's possible to do respectfully, diplomatically and non-critically, it can really help to voice your thoughts to one or two key decision-makers.

A good way to frame it might be to ask for guidance on how you might earn bigger roles in the future - what they're looking for, more ways to up your game. In that conversation, you can make very clear what you want - and also drop in the fact that you haven't had any bigger roles, in case they're overlooking that - without seeming to be criticising their choices or maligning the people who've been chosen.

I think it might also be ok to say that you feel you have a bigger acting scope than you've been able to show yet, and you would really, really like the opportunity to show it; while also asking what you still need to build on and what else they're wanting to see from you so that you might earn some bigger roles.

It's all in the framing, you see: communicating that you're ambitious and that you think you have skills to offer, without sounding all career-killing "but I should have had this already and I've been overlooked and mistreated!" - even if that's true [Smile]

Edit - bah, behind the times, sorry

[ 02-22-2013, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having caught up on the convo, I'd actually put in a vote for keeping a little diplomacy in the mix. Generally, putting people very off-side can even impact things in the future separate from those people - small world, people talk, and all that. But being candid about your disappointment, sure.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.