Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » More, not less.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More, not less.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working on resolutions right now? How about taking a look at this first, then popping back with some of the things you are going to add or gain, rather than things you might want to ditch or take away?

http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2013/01/01/for_2013_more_not_less

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67961 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant blog! And so true.

My list would be something like.

Drink gin & tonic instead of beer (I have high uric acid).

Eat vegemite on toast for breakfast every day - don't scrimp on the butter (I'm B12 deficient)

Get up early.

Have good sex. Try new things in bed.

Eat healthier food.

Get promoted.

Embrace learning.

Read more books.

Give back to the community.

Sing your heart out.

Marion

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice article, Heather [Smile]
I liked this resolution from it for myself: "..instead of making a note to find a love relationship, like it's this thing someone else gives you or does without you, how about "Plant seeds to create a fantastic relationship with someone?"
But then I thought, how does someone actually do the 'seed planting'? Any ideas/examples?

[ 01-02-2013, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a list and it's all positive abundance mindset stuff, here's the main bits:

- say affirmations to myself to help me build my self esteem
- masturbate more often when I want to and remember that it's completely ok for me to want my sexual life to consist entirely of solo sex and that saying no to partnered sex does not say anything bad about me, it is a good thing that I know that my body belongs to me and no-one else (I feel there is good reasoning behind this small cluster of no's, because everyone has a right to say no to someone else's violation of their right to body ownership and we need to recognise that saying no is not worse than saying yes when it comes to anything related to one's own body and what one does not want to do/have done to it)
- Play with my toys more, both adult and general and look into getting a better vibrator than the one I have now
- Buy a new swimming costume and bras that actually fit
- go swimming weekly
- save more money to buy the things I need/really really want and have a bit of a safety net for the future
- listen to the CDs, watch the DVDs/BDs and read the books that I really want to that I already have
- make some money by selling stuff I don't want anymore or give it to charity
- draw more as it's very therapeutic
- dance more (this is also a form of play for me [Smile] )
- Visit the sea more often as I live nearby and it's very calming
- brush my teeth every day and work towards brushing them before bed most days
- do what I can to get therapy/counselling
- sing more
- eat more fruit and veggies
- take my meds regularly, especially my birth control
- continue to be free from drug/alcohol addictions
- take care of myself
- ask for help and support when I need it from people I trust

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a really great way to look at New Year's resolutions! [Smile]

Well, I guess mine would be:
  • Eat more clean foods (fruits, veggies, etc.)
  • Drink more water!
  • Become more fit/be more active (after I get the okay from my doctor who I see next week)
  • Start being grateful for your body and all that it can do, instead of mentally putting it down.
  • Be more confident in your academic ability. You happen to go to a highly-competitive university and you're not actually dumb.
  • Reclaim your sexuality and become comfortable with it instead of being embarrassed or ashamed of it (sexual orientation, flirting, etc.)
  • Get back into playing your violin more. You love it, remember? [Big Grin]
  • Write more music. That's also something that helps you and something you love. Remember that, too?
  • Gain more confidence in your first instinct, since it hasn't let you down thus far.

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.