Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Can't handle activism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't handle activism
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to get involved in doing something to support equal rights relating to gender and sexuality. Trouble is, every time I try, I just end up getting angry or miserable at the arguments and divisions within the groups, and end up being no help at all. I know nothing's obliging me to join any of these groups, I know my AS means I'm always going to have some level of difficulty in dealing with people in some circumstances, and I'm trying not to take it personally, but I feel like a failure for being so totally unable to handle conflict.
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'd say that activism isn't the same thing as handling conflict. For sure, that's part of activism, but activism requires more than just that, and you know, it's just not for everyone. Nor is every activist group the right one for a given person.

I see none of those things as being about anyone being a failure: we're just not all the same people with the same skills and tolerances, that's all.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also? There are so, so many ways to be an activist for something. If that's something you want to do, but being right in groups isn't working for you, that doesn't mean you can't still do activism. You just might find yourself better suited for something more laid-back and solitary, like, for instance, letter-writing campaigns.

(I know Amnesty International still does a great deal of that, and that was some of my first activism decades back. They also work with these issues and have for an age, very solidly. So, maybe take a look and check them out?)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do already sign a lot of online petitions. I was rather hoping to do something more concrete, but I guess maybe that's not for me.
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Signing online petitions isn't the same thing as letter-writing campaigns.

With the latter, you can either be alone or with a group -- including one you organize yourself -- and you write individual letters to various people, organizations, companies or groups, rather than just signing on to one letter digitally someone else has written.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

For the record, I'd actually say letter-writing is more powerful than petitions, especially online petitions, at this point. Not only is their an online petition for anything anymore, getting big numbers isn't hard. Individual letters, on the other hand, often sent by mail, are more and more rare, and give you the ability to speak from your own heart and mind, which can potentially land better than what someone else has written.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Yeah, I remember a problem with one petition site where people put up joke ones and got the signature requirement raised. I'll keep the letter-writing in mind.
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, a lot of organizations need people to seal and stamp envelopes, and generally do whatever small chores need doing. For instance - cleaning and making snacks, organizing the library, etc.

These may not seem much like activism, but it can free up people who are good wordsmiths/orators/educators to do more of that.

--------------------
We are all made of Star Stuff...
-Carl Sagan

...Their eyes beheld, first of all things, the stars of heaven.
-Silmarillion

Posts: 90 | From: Unknown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.