Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Where to go for Help in this situation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where to go for Help in this situation?
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question to ask.

Is there anywhere I can go, a web site, phone number, anything to like tell someone something?

Your probably wondering what that something is... well, it's a tough topic to bring up, not sure why. The same high school in the city I am, are having all the suicides happen, majority of teens go to this high school. It's the biggest in the area, of a total of 6 in the city and including about 2 more outside of the city, it's the most of teen suicides happening from one high school. In one year alone, around 10 happened, most of them were students of the high school.

Is there anyone I can contact that would actually will take the time to listen to me? I live in Canada, Ontario so a number either within Canada or Ontario, would help. I've tried getting a journalist to write a paper from my point of view, but he was on board but since I went into more details he hasn't e-mailed me back... [Frown]

After what had happened on a facebook event page created a few days ago, I had to report what was being said. The teens were literally making rumors that more teens had committed suicide, when no one else did. I think it's horrible that teens think it's cool to do that. Where I live needs help and fast. I have no idea where to go. I can express my feeling and thoughts to my therapist but that isn't going to help fix the problems here.

I just am lost. No one understands. People have no idea they're blaming it on bullies, when in fact it's not the only cause for someone to act to take their own life. I understand because I had almost died a few months ago from an attempt and was hospitalized for it, from what I did I could in fact have health concerns show up later. I feel I need to do something, this city is falling apart. These teens want to go out once a week to make suicide aware to people, I think everyone is aware, it's going to cause problems, it has for me already. Stirring up old emotions.

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also wanted to add this city has over 74 thousand people
Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alergnon: is there, by any chance, a suicide hotline in your area? Or a community center? It seems to me those are the two best places you could probably contact -- besides the school itself -- to see how you might be able to help.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Heather!
Guess what?!

I have so much exciting news to share. So, I am seeing a Journalist tomorrow morning, Wednesday, at 9:30am, he wants to hear my story and that. Well, I've found some great news, can't say what it is, but yea. Well, I'll tell you about it once I return home, I may sneak on during this in class co-op that I have to go to, and post a quick reply. And if like, it gets published is there a thing where I can show you somehow without advertising it to the world who I am and where I live? If it goes into an article/story, would love for you to hear it and that other news, I'll let you know about it tomorrow. [Smile] I literally found it online while doing research.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is exciting, and by all means, you could always email us a link. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Hey Heather!
So, I talked to him this morning. He took some pictures of me, he said he is going to talk to his editorial staff or something and see if what I had said would make into a story. But he would let me know. Yea, he had one of those small recorders so yea.

Once I know I'll let you know! And if it does go into the paper, I will send the link. [Smile]

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Hey!
Just got word from the journalist that they're making it into a story. Will send a link once it's in the paper and online!

Heather
Member # 3

You know that I'm totally going to pull this out with you if you start talking like you're of no use, etc. again, right? [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey algernon, you could try calling 211 (yes, 211 I meant to write that). I'm not totally sure what it is but a couple of months ago we got pamphlets for it at school. It's a resource line type of thing that you can call to ask about community services. They could probably tell you who you could call. You could also try calling Kid's Help phone, or any suicude hotline (someone correct me if it's only okay to call a suicide hotline if you're suicidal, and if it's not okay to call if you're dealing with how many people have comitted suicide).

Additionally, is there a good support system in your school? At my school an unfortunately large number of kids die in car crashes, and everytime that happens there are people available for anyone upset by the death(s)and a memorial assembly, along with a free bus ride to the funeral and/ or wake for those who wish to attend. It upsets me to say that our school has had so much practise with this that they have gotten very good at dealing with it. Does your school have any sort of way that they have dealt with these deaths? (Because suicide has a stigma attached to it, I get why your school might not have the same sort of response to the deaths of the suicide victims as mine does to the deaths of the car crash victims).

Also, do you see a counsellor or therapist, etc? If so you could discuss this with them.

And congrats on the stuff with the journalist! I'm glad that you get to give your story! (Of course, I'm not glad at the circumstances that caused you to have a story with this, but...). And I'm super glad to see you so happy with this.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Hey moonlight bouncing off water,
Yea, I've heard of 211 before, I have in fact called them before. Hey, don't worry I'm seeing a therapist, when I had found out last Thursday, the next day had an appointment with him and we talked about suicide and that nothing is going to change from these awarenesses going on, teens have rallied everywhere.

Also, last night found out from googling that the Parliament is trying to put a suicide act in place. The most recent I've read was May 14th they were there talking to "Mr. Speaker" about concerns and everything. You should check it out!

I'm unsure of what the school has in place, it's my first year and last year there, and currently I don't attend a daily school day, I spend my time working at my co-op placement and go to school once a week for an hour to fill out my hours and do my questions.

Heather,
I had to re-read what you said, didn't understand what your saying, but I do now, at least I think... aha. I'm trying not to pull myself down at all and to not tell myself I'm of no use, because honestly what I did, that is something to be proud of. I do not know what he will be writing about but he did interview CMHA (Canadian Mental Health Association)about what services they offered and how they felt about the rallies. It may be in the paper/online tomorrow, or whenever, I don't know when.

Heather
Member # 3

EXACTLY.

My point was that the next time you get down on yourself, I'm totally linking you to this thread. [Razz]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Haha, Yea for sure. I've been constantly looking at the paper online to see if it is online, I hope they put it online...
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Okay not trying to be all depressed but how can I not be? So I went to my doctors appointment and after I went to ask if I can book more with the therapist. She told me that I can't due to when I see him I book the next one. Since I still have a few I can't book more. I don't understand. So when I go to my last appointment that I've booked in, that is when I make the next one. I did that so I can see him more. Waiting like 2 or 3 weeks to him sucks. Who the hell am I suppose to talk to if they're not there? My cell phone wont allow me to call a toll free number-Kids Help Phone-so there isn't anyone I can really talk to. I shouldn't let this get to me at all. I should just be lucky I have a therapist. I couldn't see him yesterday due he had some emergency thing, I do see him again next week, then the week after until the first week of June.

I shouldn't be all sad, should be happy that my story got into the paper, can't find it online, and I am happy. Haven't read it but my mentor e-mailed me. That last appointment one June 7th I will have no idea when my next one would be, I know for a fact wont be a week after, probably 2 or 3 weeks after.

How should I go around this?

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps this can be one of the things that you talk with him about, that it feels scary and even counterproductive not to have someone to talk to on a regular basis.

As to having someone to call, do you have any crisis and support lines that have local numbers?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

I would totally call a local number for help, just I'm on a pay-as-you-go plan, and I don't trust those contracts of just "oh look, I got mail from the cell phone company *open* Oh no, I owe 100 dollars!" It costs me 15 bucks for texting that I included, also has WiFi and that. I did try putting like those free calling things on, every time I try to call a number it tells me I don't have a balance.

About the crisis line, not a good idea for me, I've had horrible experiences with them. Every time I go to the hospital I refuse to talk to one, they suck for one, they don't get it, then they tell me stuff that isn't related to any of what I told them.

I am planning on going to my cell phone company and asking why the number isn't working, it's toll free meaning doesn't cost anything.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, now that you mention it, not being able to call a cost free number on your cell phone is rather odd.

I'm sorry to hear you've had such unhelpful experiences with the crisis lines.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Just checking in on you, Alergnon.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Hey Heather!
Yea, I just gotten back from the long weekend. The article is online, sent an e-mail in to you guys with the link. [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

Oh, cool beans! I'll be sure and take a peek later today.

Was the weekend good for you?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Hey Heather!
My weekend was awesome. Getting up at 6:30am and then going to bed at like 1am or 2am. I just got up from a nape, it was 2 hours long kept waking up to noises of other roommates but that's okay.

Well, anyways- my weekend was awesome, I got to watch some amazing people (not sure if I can name them, but not going to) from the USA the band and the speakers, oh and you may be interested or may know her (still unsure if I should give names out) they had a speaker of this female who is like a researcher and analyst of male/female behavior around sex and relationship. I was fun, that speaker went on and on, in my head I'm like just say it, say it (I was at a Youth Convention for Christians) took her like forever to get to the point of sex. Me I felt a bit immature inside and out, I started to laugh being in the front rows didn't seem to help either... I mean I was dieing of laughter just how she was explaining it, I felt like I was 10, hello, Wednesday is my 19th, and I am legally able to drink, not a kid anymore... But than again the youngest had to of been 14, which is still a kid to me...

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the article Heather! Oh, I tried not to smile because why should I if it's a topic that a lot of people find difficult to talk about.

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, that was a funny story. [Smile]

I haven't been able to look at the piece yet, but will holler back when I do!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Just got a chance to read it, and aren't you a badass!

What a brave thing, and good on you for not only speaking out to help others, but also using the media to talk about a lack of resources in order to bring attention to that.

Well done!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Totally I'm the badass girl, haha! Love it! [Smile]

I know, like there isn't hardly any supports here in town. I guess it's everywhere but other places have a little more than others.

The government puts no money at all into the mental health or suicide prevention, I get why they don't they don't want to waste money in making it aware but they should invest into how to fix the problem, make a solution to the problems where I live and everywhere in Canada, not just one area.

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Okay,
So I read an article from the journalist who interviewed me. I sent him an e-mail from an opinion piece he had wrote for others to explain their opinion, I e-mailed him my opinion. It's bugging me, which I expressed in the e-mail.

Now, I am going to try and find a direct e-mail to the MP of where I am and express myself to her. If I have to I will go directly to her office. I hope it's not just some bogus e-mail to her secretary.

I'll let you know what's going on.

Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI? I cannot imagine your MP does not have an assistant to screen her email, because that is something anyone with the means to have that help, and who likely gets hundreds or thousands of emails daily, would have set up.

I would give my left LEG to have the means to have someone do that for me, because it is nigh unto impossible to manage otherwise, especially if you need to do anything in your day besides read and answer email.

So, that's not bogus if that's the case: that's just sound time management, seriously.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. I'll go to her office sometime or set a like appointment or something with her.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.