Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I don't think I'm "normal" :/

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't think I'm "normal" :/
TiredEyes
Neophyte
Member # 94524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TiredEyes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think my vulva is "normal".
I am aware that they all look different. But I think I may have 2 large skin tags or just extra pieces of flesh. They have little/no feeling, 1 is longer than the other, and the are located on the front side of my vaginal opening. Sometimes I think they are up inside my vaginal canal, I was wondering if this is a common thing, if I could get them removed.
I have talked with my mom, even showed them to her, she says she does not remember seeing them when I was a baby and that she does not have them.
I really only became concerned when one day, as I went to grab the tampon string to remove it I accidentally grabbed the potential skin tag, caught it with my fingernail and I was definitely able to feel that. I am also concerned with the general normalcy and ease of being accepted by others. I am not comfortable with this deformity and do not want to have to expect any future partner I may have to be either.
Should I have a doctor look at it or just not worry about it, (the latter is unlikely)?

--------------------
Undulations of loose emotions

Posts: 5 | From: South West Michigan | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello [Smile]

It's probably helpful to have a look through these articles about the vulva. The second article in particular talks about different labia and gives more information about genital surgery and when it's (not) needed:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/anatomy_pink_parts_female_sexual_anatomy
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/giveem_some_lip_labia_that_clearly_aint_minor

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/vagzilla_or_all_genitals_great_and_small

(I'm wondering whether you might be talking about your inner lips or labia minora. Those are quite normal, but can be more noticeable in some women than in others. So your mother may not be able to see her ones very well. Have you started routine GYN check ups yet? If you have any concerns about your body, it is always OK to ask your doctor to have a look, even just for reassurance.)

[ 02-08-2012, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TiredEyes
Neophyte
Member # 94524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TiredEyes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am pretty positive it's not the labia minora, it seems to come from the middle almost out of my vagina.
I have never had a GYN check up. Aren't they for only after a person is sexually active? I am not, other than self masturbation...if that counts? (I'm not actually sure.)
Thank you so much [Smile] I will try to find a doctor to ask about this.
Also, I am unsure if I posted this in the correct area, if not, I apologize.

--------------------

Posts: 5 | From: South West Michigan | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then it sounds like you might be talking about your hymen here, potentially a formation of the hymen called a septate hymen, which happens and isn't anything to worry about.

In terms of GYN care, when someone wants it, a GYN exam or visit can also be only for educational purposes, which can include questions about your own body.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TiredEyes
Neophyte
Member # 94524

They are thin and "finger-like", sort of. Isn't the hymen a thin membrane? Wouldn't I have broken it by now while masturbating?
Thanks. [Big Grin] I know my mom has a GYN appointment for this coming Tuesday, on Valentines Day.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hymens actually rarely break. Instead what they tend to do is gradually wear away to smaller remnants. And by gradually, we're talking decades, not months or years. Plus, some women even give vaginal birth with hymenal tissue and STILL have it after.

So, yep, could be hymen tissue, but it also sounds like you'll be able to have someone qualified look directly for you very soon and give you a definitive answer!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TiredEyes
Neophyte
Member # 94524

Hmm, okay. Thank you very much. This website is soooo helpful. You guys are really making a difference. I heard about this website through friends who browse and gain general knowledge. [Smile]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Happy to be of help, and thanks for the lovely compliment! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

TiredEyes
Neophyte
Member # 94524

Not a problem at all. [Smile]
Oh, and my mother is going to set up an appointment for me on Tuesday. So, I shall have concrete answers soon. [Smile]

--------------------

Helen439
Neophyte
Member # 79841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Helen439     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering what answer do you have from the GYN. I have the same thing and didn't have the courage to talk about this. It's quite a relief to find out I'm not the only one.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.