Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » anxiety

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anxiety
ghf
Activist
Member # 47602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
has anyone been on medication for anxiety if so how did you find it and was it longterm or shortterm
Posts: 163 | From: ireland | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naplement
Activist
Member # 46362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naplement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on one, I was trying to get by without it as long as possible, and my therapist had only recommended it after a year of talking, which shows that it wasn't for her "the easy and lazy way of getting rid of stuff" it is often portrayed (really, I know all the nasty things people say about those who take medication, I think one can be against the abuses made by pharmaceutical companies without throwing out the baby with the bathwater, it's my body, and it's me (and the professionals most commenters are not) who know my options best).

The random cloud of anxiety had cleaned up a lot, I am still able to be afraid of concrete things, but I am less likely to get into hypochondires or other fears even I know are irrational (I used to have them), and I am better at concentrating at stuff than before, when besides the energy required to do the actual stuff, I also needed energy to stop worrying and to fight the temptation of just running off from the real word and read/watch something nice (I still do these, but usually not while at work [Smile] ). When I get upset/panicked, getting back to my baseline state takes less time than it used to. I do want to stop taking these meds, but they are useful crutches for me, so I can work on building a better life I will be able to rely on when I will be ready to stop taking them.

Disclaimer: I'm also on antidepressants, so I can't know exactly which is causing which.

I do not think they are perfect, but they are still teh best option out of the ones possible for me, given my limitations.

Maybe it's useful to mention that I am still in therapy.

Posts: 124 | From: hungary | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naplement
Activist
Member # 46362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naplement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ps: I didn't want to sound ableist, there are people who need crutches or meds all their life, and they shouldn't be blamed or discriminated for it.
Posts: 124 | From: hungary | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on medication for anxiety (and depression) on and off for years, and the meds I'm on now I've been taking for almost five years now. I am one of those people whose anxiety and depression is largely chemical, not situational (I learned that the hard way when I tried to stop taking medication during a period in my life when everything was going very well and ended up in the psychiatric emergency room not long after) so it's very likely that I will be taking them for the rest of my life.

Do I wish sometimes that I didn't need them? Absolutely. But just like a diabetic who needs insulin, my medications help me stay healthy, and the pros really outweigh the cons for me, especially since I've found a good combination that works well for me personally.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5659 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghf
Activist
Member # 47602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi karabu how did you find out that it was mainly chemical that was causing your anxiety and thanks for your reply naplemeny
Posts: 163 | From: ireland | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey ghf:
I've never been on anxiety pills before. I did when I went to the hospital having low blood sugar symptoms and the doctor gave me 5 anxiety pills, and it helped. I went to my doctor and asked him if I could have some for my anxiety but he felt uncomfortable giving them to me, considering he told me that he finds people get addictive to them and rely on them to much. I understood what he was saying. I honestly, didn't want to rely on medication for my problems if it was necessary, like I used to take a diabetic pill to help with my diabetes, I'm off it now, but I'll most likely be put back on it because I need it. If you get where I am coming from. But I do believe that some people do need anxiety pills because it's way outta hand, mine happens here and there and I know how to control it. I am on anti-depressants and I'm finding them to help me.

I hope everything goes well.

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I missed your response, ghf. Figuring out that my depression and anxiety are mainly chemical was a process, but the main thing was that it seems to go in cycles, and it doesn't really matter what else is going on in my life: things can be going really well and my anxiety can still get worse.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5659 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghf
Activist
Member # 47602

thanks sometimes when im happy i feel guilty and a bit emotional and nervous do you feel that way sometimes i not yet sure if it is depression or anxiety tat causing but i quess its somthing i shoukd discuss with my doctor

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.