Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Insomniacs Unite!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insomniacs Unite!
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who around here deals with bouts of insomnia? (Insomnia is when you have a lot of difficulty sleeping and stay awake for periods of time.)

What do you do while you're awake at night, and most of the world is asleep?

Do you have tricks for getting to sleep?

Feel free to share here!

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymousfour
Neophyte
Member # 69161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymousfour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happens to me often, because my personality is naturally high strung [Smile]

If I'm in bed and can't fall asleep, it is because my mind is racing with the activities of the day and my body, as a reaction, is tense. I calm the thoughts by telling myself to hold off on these thoughts until tomorrow-the world will keep turning! Then, I lay very still and relax each muscle in my body, starting with my toes. Often, I accidentally fall asleep before I reach my shoulders!

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get the worst of my panic attacks when I was alone in my room at night, trying to sleep.

What always helped me was distracting myself by reading. This worked best with books that I had already read a million times - old favorites that felt like security blankets to me. I had a few of those and I kept them handy on my nightstand so I could reach for them whenever I needed them. They gave my mind something to do so it could stop freaking out, but didn't engage me to the point that they'd keep me up when I started to doze off.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get that sometimes. I haven't yet found any silver-bullet methods that work in my case, but getting more exercise seems to have helped an awful lot.

My mother suffered from insomnia when she was pregnant, and she claims that she sorted her case by reading "Middlemarch", because it was so boring it instantly sent her to sleep XD

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though I've suffered from insomnia for as long as I can remember, I don't have a set thing that always makes me fall asleep. Sometimes a relaxation tape helps me, other times drinking warm apple cider works. Most of the time though, I don't fight it. I work on small amounts of sleep, and it often then have a day when I simply crash. In the middle of the night I often sit and read, watch a movie, or work on some type of craft. I actually often like my time awake while the rest of the world sleeps, it's quiet and beautiful outside.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anonymousfour, I have a similar process of relaxing the muscles in my body. I do this when I can't sleep, when I'm taking a test I'm nervous about, when I'm trying to have sex with a partner who finds it odd that all of my muscles are tense as rocks.. etc etc.

I also like to read to distract myself, or have marathons of old shows I like. I have spent half a night flipping through the comics on asofterworld.com, as well.

Also, taking a really hot shower sometimes helps. Or cleaning out the fridge - usually about half way through that I get super sleepy!

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have terrible insomnia (though it may not have been insomnia so much as being a teenager who was expected to get up early, which most teenagers find very difficult to do due to hormonal changes that make going to sleep early much harder on average than it is before puberty, obviously quite a few kids start puberty before they are teenagers, so it can be a problem earlier as well), but now I probably sleep way more than I need to, I wish I could stay awake more, my problem is that I often have to get up to go to the loo 2-4 times during the night and so I'm never quite sure if I've had that 8 hours due to the time spent getting back to sleep. They recently announced that they had evidence that teenagers are not lazy, they actually need to sleep more and find it harder to get up and get to bed early than adults, and I was thinking: IT TOOK YOU AGEIST ADULTS THAT LONG TO REALISE THAT? I was fuming all day after reading that because that's all I could think, that before they seemed to have just assumed that teenagers are lazy.

I was actually nocturnal for a few months 2-3 times when I was a teenager, it was a surreal experience, with pros and cons. It was somewhat difficult for my dad in some ways (I was living with him at the time).

[ 10-22-2011, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i pace around listening to music. it drives everyone insane but i tire myself out after a few hours so i keep doing it
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alice:
or have marathons of old shows I like

No joke... I found out Youtube has Are You Afraid of the Dark (which I LOVED as a kid, and thus go through my marathon phase of late night AYAOTD episodes every year near Halloween)

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh gosh, I still love AYAOTD xD
Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have pretty bad insomnia/sleep-avoidance sometimes and have watched the sun go down and come up again and had to get up and go to uni. Not good at all.

One thing which has really helped has been just to plan my days more. Leaving gap in my schedule, before I plan to sleep is really good as I'm not trying to sleep, but at the same time I have space to process my thoughts and also look at my schedule for the next day and it's reassuring to know that I've got my bases covered for the next day without having to worry about it in bed. It can help feel a lot more in control I found.

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had problems with insomnia for a long time-I seem to have the ability to wake up and function on very little sleep (about 4 hours worth is my minimum) and I found this out at a very young age, when I used to help my grandma and mom with paper routes. A little while ago I found out that a certain artificial sweetener causes me to have panic attacks when I'm trying to go to sleep, and that only made the insomnia worse. So yeah. I don't know what I'm going to do when I get into college.

I usually take a warm shower or read a book until I'm tired.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JackT
Neophyte
Member # 72460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JackT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had bad insomnia for a few years, which got really bad after there was a natural disaster where I live.
I still go through days where I can't sleep often. I just find it useful now though. I used to hate it. Now I just try and make use of it, writing poetry, play xbox, draw art. Sometimes being sleep deprived can be good for creativity... lol
I guess I've learned to like it.
I feel more tired sleeping as much as people around me now then I do on about 5 hours sleep. Anything more than 7 hours sleep and I feel extremely tired these days.

Posts: 27 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rosalia
Activist
Member # 82681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rosalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had Insomnia problems my whole life, which I'm only 17, not really a long life, haha. My case is severe, as in I only take a 1-2 hour nap every 50 hours or so. Highest I've gone is 120 hours (5 days) and that ended very badly.

Nowadays I take medicine for it, abut 9 out of my 11 nightly pills are for trying to get me to sleep, they don't really work. I don't say anything on the fear of my pills being increased and me overdosing.

I usually just listen to my iPod, play some games, watch some TV quietly during the late night/early morning hours. I'm not lazy though, so all of my schoolwork is done as son as I get home, which leaves me very bored at times. It's physically exhausting at times, but I make do. Sometimes just laying in bed and staring at the ceiling while fantasizing about whatever I want helps me fall asleep. In the more recent months, this isn't really helping anymore though.

--------------------
"Always remember this little sister, no mater where you or I go, no matter what happens to the either of us, know that I'll always be with you in your heart." - R.I.P my friend.

Posts: 125 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Rosalia: As someone who's also been a lifer when it comes to insomnia, I've been trying different things off and on for years. Including researching insomnia in and out.

One thing I can tell you the docs seem to all agree on is when you can't sleep, TV, video games, and even reading a book if you're SO into it you can't put it down are among the worst things to do. They're all REALLY stimulating to your brain, which refuses to just shut down stimulation time for a while so you can sleep in the first place.

While I also don't like taking medicines to help me sleep (sometimes the mix with my seizure medications is a HUGE problem) I do think you should at least talk with a doctor again (or your parents) about this and try a different aid. As well? It may help to have a set routine for a little while. Like: take a warm back at 9:30, drink hot chocolate at 10:30, read one chapter from a book at 11. Climb in bed and try relaxation exercises and mind clearing for 1/2 hour. Sometimes just getting that routine will help in the long run.

I've had Insomnia problems my whole life, which I'm only 17, not really a long life, haha. My case is severe, as in I only take a 1-2 hour nap every 50 hours or so. Highest I've gone is 120 hours (5 days) and that ended very badly.

Nowadays I take medicine for it, abut 9 out of my 11 nightly pills are for trying to get me to sleep, they don't really work. I don't say anything on the fear of my pills being increased and me overdosing.

I usually just listen to my iPod, play some games, watch some TV quietly during the late night/early morning hours. I'm not lazy though, so all of my schoolwork is done as son as I get home, which leaves me very bored at times. It's physically exhausting at times, but I make do. Sometimes just laying in bed and staring at the ceiling while fantasizing about whatever I want helps me fall asleep. In the more recent months, this isn't really helping anymore though.

--------------------

Rosalia
Activist
Member # 82681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rosalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the late reply on this one, Stephanie. So much has been going on, as you know.

Didn't realize those activities were just making it worse for me. As soon as I get my priorities taken care of I'll try setting up a relaxing routine. Thanks.

[ 12-06-2011, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Rosalia ]

--------------------
"Always remember this little sister, no mater where you or I go, no matter what happens to the either of us, know that I'll always be with you in your heart." - R.I.P my friend.

Posts: 125 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.