Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » counselling hope :')

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: counselling hope :')
Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherylcakes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the volunteers will be very glad to hear that ive just made my first appointment for an assessment for counselling haha, so hopefully no more panicked posts [Razz]

does anyone have any advice for getting the most out of counselling? partic. around preg scares?

(not asking for any biological am I preg advice, purely advice to help with the counselling seshes [Wink] )

thanks guys [Big Grin]

Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My suggestion for you is to be very clear with your new counselor as to what has been going on, with anxiety in general, with the persistent pregnancy scares (and I'd make clear that's happening regardless of getting more education and help with that, and that facts don't seem to help).

I'd also be sure and talk about your overall moods, since it seems pretty clear from your posting history here that you've been struggling with what may be both depression and anxiety, as well as some anger.

Really, counseling is a partnership, one where you and a counselor are working together. An outsider isn't going to be the person to suggest how to work with your counselor around pregnancy scares, or anything else specific like that, because that's for them to approach, and for the two of you to work through together. You don't need to tell a counselor how to do their job, after all, that's what they're there for. [Smile]

And with that in mind, what we always want to try and do in counseling or therapy is let those experts do their job, trying the things they're asking us to try -- and not dismissing anything out of hand right away, be that medications or approaches to therapy -- while being as honest as we can throughout the process.

(And good for you on making the appointment!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherylcakes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the honesty thing is what'll be most challenging for me- I do have problems opening up, and I hate the feeling of saying something out loud, as it makes it real, y'know? [Smile]

I thought about writing out how I feel, how anxiety makes me feel, and what other, deeper issues I have from that, such as trust issues. do you think thatll be useful? [Smile]

Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd say that things are real whether we say them or not, don't you think?

What speaking or otherwise addressing them does isn't make them real, it puts us in the position where they get the kind of light they need for us to actually start doing something about them.

With opening up, counseling is not something that is intended, usually, to be short-term. It's intended to be a process over time, and one reason for that is so that patients can build the trust they need to in order to feel able to be more open and honest.

If you want to go to a first session with some written-out thoughts, I certainly don't see that that'd be a problem. Some counselors might find that helpful, others might want to wait to get to know those things from you over time and in person. There's really no predicting.

But, I'd bet that process would be useful to *you* regardless, so why not?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

I am a bit concerned because my anxiety tends to wax and wane. with my referral letter, I got a questionnaire thing which asked me to rate my symptoms in severity in the last two weeks. the problem is, my anxiety hasn't been as bad as it has been in the past month or so :/ i want them to know how much it affects me, but i don't want them to think because im not in the midst of an espisode that im okay, because im not :/
Heather
Member # 3

Seriously, Cheryl? Having been on the other end of it when you're here, I think saying that it's been bad is not a false statement.

And a therapist understands that people with anxiety aren't usually in full-blown panics every day, so you don't have to worry about that.

But I'd say that it's sounded like in the last few weeks t has certainly not been "not that bad."

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

i hear you :/

i have to wait a while, app. not until the 22nd of feb..:/

i just hope that the counsellor will understand me, and that i can bond and really form a valid connection with them, so i can open up and really work towards recovery [Smile]

Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

suffering a little bit with this waiting game [Frown] what can i do in the meanwhile to help cope with these feelings?
Heather
Member # 3

Have you tried starting at the library and getting some basic books on anxiety and coping with anxiety?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

my dad has a book upstairs on the subject, and the Dr I went to see at the walk in clinic gave me a booklet [Smile]

also, I am starting to wonder if I am slipping into depression, as these fears are starting to affect other areas of my life, such as my college work...:/

Heather
Member # 3

Well, as I recall, the last person you saw suggested depression to you, no?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

she did, yes- but i was unwilling to belive it :/ and, when i think about it, i dont have trouble sleeping, sleeping too long etc... but what i have noticed is a complete lack of motivation, and an almost obsessive amount of time spent reading up on potential risks, when i should be revising - i know youre not a doctor, but do those sound like cause for concern? :/
Heather
Member # 3

Well, like I think I mentioned when you talked about her diagnosis, I wasn't in disagreement. And yes, some of those symptoms sound like things people with depression tend to struggle with.

As I recall, she offered you medication, am I right? If so, starting that to see if it helps is certainly one in-the-meantime option you have.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.