Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » ARGH.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ARGH.
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My week has been beyond horrible, and I'm at a loss as to what to do. Most of it's been pretty minor, but now my purse is missing and possibly stolen, with a week's money and my debit cards in it. I know there's nothing I can do except cancel the cards, but I'm really angry about the loss of the money. I don't desperately need money right now, but it's still more than I can afford to lose, because my student loan money is going to run low before the year is out and I have no job. I'm having difficulty calming down, I've been crying constantly for the four or so hours since I found it missing. I think I'm overreacting, but this is the culmination of a very upsetting week in general.
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, I'm so sorry this is happening to you right now. I can relate, I've lost debit cards/money before, and it's always a bummer regardless of your current financial status.

I wouldn't say you're overreacting - loss of money is a big deal, and can be especially jolting after a bad day or week. Let yourself be upset, grieve about it, then move forward with a plan on how it can be fixed (canceling card, etc).

The good news is: this, too, shall pass. In the meantime I want to encourage you to take some self-care time - whatever that means to you - like an awesome bath with bubbles, watching a movie alone or with friends, etc.

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've cancelled the cards. I won't have serious problems without this money, I can borrow some from my parents to tide me over till I get fresh cards, it's just severely distressing. I tend to be absent-minded, but not usually to the degree of losing a whole purse.
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

I'm also frustrated because I've been unable to find a job since my gap year two years ago. I don't direly need it yet, and in fact I'm probably better avoiding doing anything that'll eat up more of my time and headspace at the moment, but it's making me worried about my chances of finding a job once I graduate.
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've all done it before, mizchastain; even the most organised amongst us leave cards and purses - I see it every day in my shop.

I lost my debit card only last week - it fell out my wallet, it happens. I've also left my wallet in the cinema before.

Employers know that some students cannot juggle a job and working towards a degree - that's not the case with you, but I don't think it will have much of a negative effect. At any rate, having a degree will show that you are a dedicated, committed person.

Have you finished university now, or have you got one year left?

[ 10-09-2011, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

One year left. I'm also slightly concerned about this year, as my marks last year weren't as good as I'd hoped they'd be, so I have to pull them up if I want to go on to do the masters' degree I'm looking into - and my degree's in a field where it's fairly hard to make it without a masters'. Probably a good thing I don't currently have a job, in that case. On the plus side, it turned out some of my student loan money hadn't come through to my bank yet, so I have some more than I thought, and I'll be able to have a bit left over to hold me till I do get a job when I graduate. Worst comes to worst my parents have said I can temporarily move back home till I'm on my feet, and I've got most of a year to worry about that. Still a little upset about the lost purse, but now I've calmed down I see it could have been much worse.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.