Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » How YOU Can Make It Better (For Someone Elese)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How YOU Can Make It Better (For Someone Elese)
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's been a lot of focus in the past few months that for people who get harassed when younger, "it gets better." But I think it's important to recognize that we can also MAKE it better for people being sexually harassed/bullied -- whether that's about gender, orientation or sexual/slut-shaming -- so that it DOES get better.

I have a list in my book (it's included in the Genderpalooza piece here at the site) about some ways others can help around gender identity and orientation, but what I would love, love, LOVE is to compile a piece with all of you that lists YOUR ideas or actions you've done about ways everyone can contribute to make it better for everyone else.

I think so often, young people are much more inspired by what other young people are doing or think they can do than some older bat like me making a list for them.

You in?

How have YOU made it better for people being sexually harassed? What can YOU and others do? Talk to me about it.

If so, this is one of those pieces where to properly credit you, it'd be great to add your age. I'll the also list your username here.

Thanks in advance for your contributions!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...I can give this a shot. First off, I'm 18, and I'll be 19 in about three weeks.

Two of my good friends-one, my best friend in the world, ever, and the other, a great friend from my old church who was and is one of the nicest people I have ever met-both came out in the past year. I'm several hundred miles away, and I can't quite go over and hug them. My version of trying to help them is directing both of them to this site, and speaking in their support against "friends" who weren't as supportive (both friends came out via facebook, so the comments came from everywhere and everyone).
I find that the best I can do is be there for them to talk to, and let them know that I'm here, that if nothing else, there's someone who is actually willing to listen. Sending a message every other day or so, just to make sure that everything is going okay. Educating my friends, parents, and other family about LGBT people is another way I try to help. My parents know both of these girls, and we had a couple of actual talks after each of them came out, with me trying to educate them a little, and them actually listening. I think that's helping more people than just those two friends, so that makes me happy.

I think young people can help by trying to educate those around them. The more people who realize that most of the LGBT population is not *fill in discriminatory/cruel/homophobic slur here* means fewer people who still yell and shove Bibles in the face of a woman shopping with her girlfriend. And just being there for people who are being discriminated against. Having a support system is so, so important, and when people come out, the support they've had most of their life sometimes dwindles or drops out completely. Having someone to talk to helps so much.

Posts: 178 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moire O'Searcaigh
Neophyte
Member # 75063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moire O'Searcaigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until I was in a steady relationship (which of course I'm out of now, thank you again, Heather), I was like Therapy Woman, if that's a good superhero title. I dealt with so much crap on my own that when a friend was going through something similar, I would get in there and either help from out of the picture or in some cases, talk to whoever was giving my friends problems. And I had a fair success rate. I would stand up for gay/bi/anything different from the norm friends quite a bit at school, as it was a serious problem where I was living, in South Central Texas, majority Conservative-Republican. I wish I could have done something like start a Gay-Straight Alliance at the local high school with my friends, but then I moved back to the UK and was unable to go to school here. However, a gay friend of mine recently got in touch with me to say he and some other friends had get one up there, and I felt so amazing when he said I inspired him.

I love helping people, which I why I'm on this forum's Support Group thread webs. I'd love if Scarleteen and all the people who read/contribute/just look at it could do a 'It Gets Better' campaign in their respective place. I'm considering running for Member of Parliament in my constituency one day, and when/if I do, I want to make this an issue ( in good way): helping youth deal with the taboo problems like orientation, questioning, sexual/domestic abuse, stalking, et cetera. ANd like Kawani3792 said, someone to talk to can help a lot in those situations. And educating people about the situations helps it not be so 'taboo' anymore, and might just actually get things better.

Posts: 17 | From: Northern Ireland | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Moire, it's so good to see you here on the boards! I hope that you're doing okay and in a safe place!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.