Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » What are YOUR priorities?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are YOUR priorities?
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 'priority' is basically something that comes before other stuff in your life. You may have heard someone comment before that someone else has "messed up priorities." That may mean they're putting all of their effort into something unimportant instead of essential things that need to get done (or it might just mean the person complaining disagrees with their priorities).

As some of you who have been around the boards for awhile may know, I'm a young single mom, college student and I also work (varying hours of 20-30 a week, usually but sometimes more or less).

When you're a busy person, what is and isn't a priority can be extra important.

So, if you were to make a numbered list of YOUR priorities in your life right now, what would that look like?

Feel free to discuss the how and the why - and when you're honest with yourself, does the rank you give any of your priorities surprise you?

Something to keep in mind: I'm NOT asking what your priorities SHOULD be - that's an easy one. [Smile] I'm asking what they really are, in reality, regardless of what that actually looks like - this is a safe space, no one is going to judge you here.

[ 07-19-2011, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Alice ]

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To start us off, here's mine - written quickly, right off the top of my head:

1. My son and his needs.
2. My relationship with my partner
3. School
4. Scarleteen stuff
5 Friends and other family
5. My job(s)
6. Self-care (including eating and sleeping, relaxing, etc)
7. Keeping my apartment (and life) organized and neat
8. Appointments and tasks such as going to the doctor, legal stuff, etc

This is me being very honest, and I'm a little surprised at my ranking. Of course my son (who is almost 5) comes before absolutely everything else - but it was hard for me to admit that I do put my relationship with partner before school on most days.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breath
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Getting to know myself and figure out / try to take care of self : by understanding my own problems, fears, and clear my mindset

2. Work on my career path and where I want to be.

3. Maintain a good self-care and good life: enjoying/volunteering for things, indulging myself

4. Paying attention and developing my sexual personality (since it was repressed and didn't really come out for years)

Posts: 357 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breath
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5. Having and maintaining a few close friendships with people.
Posts: 357 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where school ends up on my list of priorities often depends on how long I've got till my deadline/exam. The closer to my deadline the higher it gets on the list. The week leading up to finals school is at the top of my list. The rest of the time my friends probably top the list.

[ 07-20-2011, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: Mortality ]

Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yakri
Activist
Member # 43206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yakri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Important situations with people I care about. (a friend saying they need someone to talk to, my SO being unhappy, someone I care about being injured, and anything emergency level). Given the right situation, helping random strangers plops in here as well.

2) My own personal happiness, well-being, peace of mind, etc.

3) My SO in general.

4) School/Job.

5) Spending time with my friends.

6) Low priority personal goals; things I'm learning on the side, intentional time practicing hobbies, etc.

7) Sleep. . . . T_T

Posts: 47 | From: Crescent city, CA. | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually don't find it easy to know what my priorities should be, in fact I spend a lot of time feeling guilty about not wanting to take on lots of responsibilities I don't currently have and make them my priorities, I really don't know what my priorities should be, I don't even know what my priorities currently are.

Here's what I want my priorities to be, though I'm not sure how I'd order them (they aren't necessarily in order of importance here, apart from the top one which definitely goes at the top):

- My own physical safety and needs (food, water, sleep, going to the toilet, taking my medication including my birth control, having access to condoms and lube, brushing my teeth because if I don't they won't last me the rest of my life, other very basic personal hygiene, having access to an abortion if I become pregnant, having access to all other healthcare, otherwise not being physically assaulted, murdered, sexually assaulted/raped/harassed, tortured).

- My emotional and sexual wellbeing (having time to do things like crying, masturbating and talking about my problems, attending appointments with psychiatrists/counsellors/etc).

- Getting exercise and trying to eat healthily, taking regular showers, brushing and washing my hair, making sure I have clean clothes to wear, keeping my room reasonably clean and tidy, doing my washing up.

- My partner's, friends', family's and pets' wellbeing.

- Spending time with my partner, family, friends and pets and going to social groups (I'm currently attending an LGBT one and an Aspergers one, I may start going to an ADHD one as well).

- Keeping my finances in order.

- Volunteering/donating money to charity/shopping ethically/other things with the goal of ensuring that every born homosapien gets to have all the things on this list and that other animals get to have happy lives.

- Watching video, reading and listening to music.

- Learning and being creative (I like making people cards and drawing, and I plan to learn Japanese and how to juggle), and singing.

Things I wish didn't seem to end up being priorities:

- Making sure I spend plenty of time feeling bad about myself everyday.

- Spending extended periods of time on message boards, updating my amazon wishlist, that sort of thing (followed by feeling depressed about having wasted so much time that I could have used for something that I would have found much more rewarding).

- Wandering around town (and possibly spending money I can't afford to spend).

[ 07-23-2011, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brennan
Activist
Member # 72864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brennan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Finding someone, anyone really, to communicate on an intimate level with.

2. My body weight.

3. My college GPA.

4. My physical fitness / health.

5. Hanging out with friends.

6. Working on my guitar playing / singing as a pass-time.

I guess my priorities are a little out of whack. Hrm.

Posts: 48 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.