Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I've found myself really depressed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've found myself really depressed
Love to love
Activist
Member # 45991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love to love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I don't know what to do. I've never been like this, and I don't even know why. I'm starting to wonder if its my birth control, honestly. But I don't know. I just know that little things are setting me off, and its getting so bad that I cry so much, I think how no one would care if I just died. Though I don't think about killing myself. I have been recently inflicting pain on myself, not cutting. But stuff like biting my lip, or cheek really hard, digging my nails into my skin, pulling my hair, punching stuff. And I know this isn't good. I just don't know what to do. I have a boyfriend, who has been through a lot of depression, but I don't know how to tell him that I'm so depressed that I'm hurting myself? I don't want to be hurting myself.. But it's the only thing that seems to relieve some of the pain. I want to tell him, but I don't know how. I don't want to be this upset all the time but I am. Some days are really good, sometimes I'm very happy, but most the time I'm so upset. I want to talk to my boyfriend, I just don't know how or what to say.

And I don't want things to become worse with the inflicting pain..

[ 07-13-2010, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Love to love ]

Posts: 115 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have recently started using birth control, that could be a factor, but there's no way to know except stopping the birth control and seeing if you feel better.

If you are hurting yourself and having suicidal thoughts, I strongly encourage you to call the National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255. Before talking to your boyfriend, I strongly encourage seeking out professional counseling. If you feel like you are a danger to yourself, you can always go to an emergency room and check yourself in to the hospital to get treatment right away.

Hang in there, and and do call that number.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Love to love
Activist
Member # 45991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love to love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been about four months since I started the pill, and I know I can't stop, I am sexually active. So I'm kinda screwed there.

I'm not having suicidal thoughts, just I guess hurting myself. I don't think I'm in danger of myself, I could never kill myself, or hurt anyone else. I'm just very upset, and most the time I don't have many reasons too. I just think about something that bothers me slightly and make it a bigger deal than it is. I don't have the money to get professional help, I don't know if Arizona has cheap counseling.

I will, I just don't want to be depressed anymore, I want to be able to be happy like how I was before I got on BC. I just don't know if I need to call that number really because I'm not having suicidal thoughts or anything, just depressed and hurting myself.

Posts: 115 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, there are other methods of BC out there. If it's possible that it's causing this, I'd say it's well worth quitting and either holding off on sex for a while or using a different method. Simply switching to a different brand may do the trick. If this is a side effect, this is NOT one you should live with, and you absolutely *can* do something about it.

I suggest you call whatever doctor prescribed this ASAP to talk about switching if you want to stay on a pill. Otherwise, you can simply stop now and use condoms or abstain for the meantime. Finally, when someone is this depressed, it's always a good idea to evaluate whether or not this is a good time to be sexually active anyways.

If you call that number, they can help you find crisis counseling that should be low cost in your area.

And, if you are hurting yourself, you *are* a danger to yourself. We can also help you look up counseling in your area if you send us your zip code. This does sound like some quite serious depression, and we want to find you help.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Love to love
Activist
Member # 45991

Is there anything that is as affective as birth control?

I might want to stay on the pill if nothing is as affective as it, because I don't exactly trust condoms alone. I know that if my boyfriend and I have to stop having sex for a while he would be understanding, I just think we both would have ahard time not. I feel fine when I'm with him like that, he makes me so happy when he's around, and especially when we're in the mood.

Alright thank you.

My zip code is 85234 but in a few days it will be 85283

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Birth control is a term that means any form of contraception: not just one kind.

If you mean the pill, then there are several reversible methods that are equally effective (the patch, the ring), and a couple which are more effective (Depo, the IUD and the contraceptive implant).

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Love to love
Activist
Member # 45991

Oops sorry I meant the pill! Does the Depo shot cause a lot of hormonal change? Or will it help if I get off the pill and use the shot?

Also I read a couple of things about the IUD and the things that can go wrong that are very rare scare me. [Razz] But it sounds like the best way to go because from what I read it has no hormonal change?

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Depo can cause a lot of hormonal changes, but I'd hesitate to suggest that they'd be any more significant than the ones you are experiencing on the pill.

There's no way to tell if switching to Depo would help your depression--you'd have to try and see.

If you're comfortable with the pill and like it as a method, then you can switch brands. There are *many* different brands that have different active ingredients. Different ingredients often mean different (sometimes fewer) side effects.

As for an IUD, there are two types--one without hormones and one with.

Check this page out:http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_intrauterine_devices_iud

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Oh, and do know that we'll be shutting down the boards this evening, but the main site will remain active. You can search the main site to find more information on birth control options.
Love to love
Activist
Member # 45991

I do like the pill, it helps with my periods which is why I got on it in the first place. Which makes me hesitant to the IUD without hormones because I don't want the pain of my long periods to be increased.

I'm guessing the hormones in the IUD will be different to any woman using it.. I guess I'll have to do more research on it or call my doctor.

Love to love
Activist
Member # 45991

Also, I just talked to a pharmacist about Loestrin 24 FE (my pill I'm using) and they said depression, mood swings, frustration outbursts, anxiety and other things are common with loestin. Grr. This is the second pill that isn't working for me. :/
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Okay, well, you can try a third combination pill, or consider other options. You can try a mini-pill, which have similar hormones to the shot and the hormonal IUD. All of these methods can suppress periods--they don't do that in all women, but they have the potential to do so.

Personally, I have used a diaphragm as a second method along with condoms (and, I believe Heather has discussed using that combo herself, previously, too). That is a completely non-hormonal option, but you'll need to find a gyn who will fit one for you.

I really do suggest you make an appointment to talk to your doctor soon about different options. For now, if you're really depressed, you can simply stop taking the pill all together for the meantime.

Love to love
Activist
Member # 45991

and its just as effective as the pill? or other things?

How effective is the diaphragm? Is it uncomfortable?

Ya I called my doctor and they're supposed to call me back, not sure when but tonight or tomorrow.

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

The diaphragm is less effective than the pill, but combining the diaphragm with condoms gets you a similar effectiveness rate.

Here's some more information about diaphragms: # Cervical Barriers (Diaphragms, Lea's Shield and Cervical Caps)

and more information about doubling up methods: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

You shouldn't be able to feel a diaphragm if it is in properly. A doctor should have you insert it while there to make sure that you know how to insert it properly.

You can go all the way through our Birth Control Bingo! so that you have more information when you do talk to your doctor.

Love to love
Activist
Member # 45991

Thank you so much, I love this site dearly, it helps with so much. Thank you for all your time you've put into helping me<3 I'm going to read that now.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.