Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » help me understand?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help me understand?
babygirl_sosu
Neophyte
Member # 44194

Icon 9 posted      Profile for babygirl_sosu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay so im jus going to be blunt and tell it like it is. for the past 6 months or so around my period ive had suicidal thoughts, to put it lightly. i never fully understood why i felt this way till the school nurse said it could be hormonal. so i went to the health departmemt and got on birth control hoping it would level my moods out. and since ive been on bc ive been doing a lot better. mabe its jus a mental thing...but my mom found the pills and is upset i got them without her. i explained to her that i did it because i was desperate for some relief of my "moods" one way or another. she said okay afer crying and making me feel guilty for it. she also said that she has to realize that im 18 and i can make those decisions on my own. i also told her that i didnt come to her about me having sucidal thoughts because i didnt want her to see me in that state. i didnt want anyone to see me like that, i was humiliated i even felt like that. but anywho now she wont speak to me or keep eye contact for more than three seconds. i dont know what to do, i dont know how to male ammends, or whether i should approach her or just give her time. any advice?
Posts: 30 | From: OK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
branphlake
Neophyte
Member # 35071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for branphlake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My advice would be to give her space, especially if this is a recent "event." Humans generally don't like change in their lives and this may be a big change for your mother. You have to also realize that people see others how they want - that is, she may have thought her child was perfect and didn't have any problems, but now she has to face reality. That's a huge shift for someone and I'm sure your mother has other things on her plate right now, too (work, other siblings, friends, etc). Give her time to come around and, if you feel you've waited a sufficient amount of time and she hasn't changed, confront her again and have a hear-to-heart. I don't know what a "sufficient amount of time" means, though. You know your mom better than I, so use your best judgment.

In the meantime, taking pills to help rid yourself of suicidal thoughts may be a poor decision only because there may come a time when the pills stop working or you stop having access to them (for financial reasons, or whatever). You may search out hotlines in your area and speak with someone there - I know, when I got sexually assaulted, having someone I didn't know on the other line was really quite comforting and not awkward in the slightest.

Good luck and much love.

Posts: 23 | From: Boulder, CO | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.