Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » YOUR Safe Space :-)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: YOUR Safe Space :-)
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where's YOUR safe space?

For all the dark back alleys and homes that feel anything but sweet, there are those warm and welcoming places where you feel safe and comfortable.

Where do you feel safe? It could be a physical or geographical location or a virtual home-away-from-home. Perhaps you're still looking for one and that's ok, too.

[Personally, I find Scarleteen to be a safe and welcoming space online. Reading Jill2000Plus's recent post that mentioned this reminded me how fortunate I am to have this resource when there's all-too-many less welcoming places online. I need to think about a physical location. What about you?]

[ 04-08-2009, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Safe spaces are really important to me. I get easily overwhelmed around groups of people, so when I go anywhere, I tend to automatically seek out protected corners.

Libraries are always safe spaces for me. I have a handful of semi-hidden benches around town that I go to a lot. There's also a cemetery near my house that I feel safe in. My home often feels like a safe space too.

Other spaces: in baths and showers, diners, in bed with my partner, on trains, my therapist's office, sometimes my childhood home, supermarkets late at night, woods I know well, the hospital parking lot. And, just walking around most areas usually makes me feel safe.

[ 04-08-2009, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwing
Activist
Member # 43276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel safest wrapped up in a thin blanket in the fetal position lying down, or sitting up hugging my legs. Also, libraries have this calming effect on me, because I love books so much, and I love taking walks in nature because it's so peaceful and quiet.
Posts: 53 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parapluie
Neophyte
Member # 43325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parapluie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel most safe in my bedroom, with the door closed.
This is a little weird, but I also feel the most safe walking in the middle of the road at night (I walk/bus as my main mode of transport), and I think this is because I have a clear view of everything around me.
I used to feel safe sitting up in my university's library as well, right by the biggest window. I agree with Silverwing that libraries can have a calming effect, which for me is because of the quiet.

[ 08-13-2009, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Parapluie ]

--------------------
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands."

Posts: 38 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goodmagpie
Neophyte
Member # 42795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goodmagpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These cafés called Blue Creek and The Treehouse, mainly because I'm always in them with people I love.
In a select few very special people's arms.
My boyfriend's house.

Posts: 23 | From: UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jilly bean13
Neophyte
Member # 43609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jilly bean13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deffinatly I am safe a comfy cozy in my bed under my covers:) I also feel safe at my brothers house.
I feel safe in the shower bc no one can bother me there lol. When I go to the coffe shop with a book i like to just sit there and read for a couple hours I feel safe and peaceful and calm.

--------------------
live and let live

Posts: 26 | From: minnesota | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlespoon
Neophyte
Member # 43465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlespoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend's house.

Rationally I know there's nothing really unsafe about my own place, but i just get antsy in it at night- it's very big; it tends to creak a lot; it's full of windows; and my parent's room is at the opposite end of the house to mine.

My boyfriend's place is like a snug, compact little fortress (hehe, that sounds awful, but i mean it in a good way!). It's more like a large unit than a house; the windows all have blinds on them; and it's small enough that you can hear what's going on in every room (me, paranoid? never!). Plus it has my boyfriend in it, which is obviously good [Smile]

--------------------
This is our last dance; this is ourselves.

Posts: 29 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalex
Activist
Member # 43486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because I lived overseas for six years, my hometown took on a 'safe place' quality. I didn't want to be where I was for most of the time. I felt isolated and scared, but I found that closing my eyes and doing mental walk-throughs of my house and neighbourhood made me feel better.

Now that we're back, my room has become my haven. Everything is arranged (it's a mess, but an organized one) the way I want, and I can feel that my own personality has impacted the space. The walls are warm, caramel wood, and it feels like being in the cabin of a ship. Definitely a good place to be.

And like bluejumprope mentioned, I tend to seek out protected corners. Standing with my back to or near the wall is strangely comforting.

Posts: 52 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a lot of ways, safe spaces for me are more situational than geographical, because I've moved around so much for the past ten years of my life that there are few places I really feel connected to.

I feel safest when I have my family around me (parents, brother, pets). Or when I am driving with my parents, especially at night or in the rain.

Places that I've grown attached to recently include the cafeteria at my University (I have spent whole days in there, studying - I prefer the noise to the quiet of the library) and the house of a friend of mine (she lives with her parents and has a large, kind, caring family).

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leahmeadowes199277
Neophyte
Member # 43821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leahmeadowes199277     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i feel really safe in my home, hanging out with my mom. or at my cousin's house, i always feel really safe there because she's one of the closest people to me (we've been best friends for almost 16 years) and i know that neither her or her parents would let anything happen to me.
Posts: 8 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovemydog123
Activist
Member # 43409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovemydog123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've moved around a lot as well, and was never really somewhere long enough to find my own safe place, but I used to feel safe at one of my old foster homes. I loved my foster mum but it was tragic when she died of leukemia 3 years after I moved there.

This might sound strange but my only 'safe' place right now is the cemetery where my parents are buried. I sit next to their graves and I feel safe, kinda like they're watching over me. It looks silly as I write it, but yeah. [Smile]

[ 08-31-2009, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: ilovemydog123 ]

Posts: 84 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalex
Activist
Member # 43486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My other safe place, which I don't really have anymore because I graduated, was a certain part of my school library behind the fiction section (the best part). It was very quiet and calm. Plus I was surrounded by books.

I don't think there's anything strange or silly about the cemetery being your safe place, Erica. I find cemeteries can be very peaceful places. I imagine it'd be a comfort, having somewhere to go and feel that connection to your family. They're a part of you, and always will be.

Posts: 52 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I mean I don't believe in souls or life after death and I feel comforted when I'm by my grandparents' graves, it's like looking at photographs, in a way graves kind of provide a permanent 3 dimensional embodiment of the dead, even after someone's rotted away there's something physical of homosapien proportions (sorta) to sit by and relate to, though actually my gran was cremated, I've never been able to visit where her ashes were scattered unfortunately, but I'd like to.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantokrator
Activist
Member # 43289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pantokrator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always felt really safe when I'm in my car alone. No one can bother me and the view is always changing.

I also really like libraries. The peace and quiet is nice.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a deep, hot bath. Weirdly enough, it's the only place I can attribute nothing negative to, likely due the fact I never had access to a bathtub during life in my parents' home. So all my bathing memories are happy and filled with my grandmother's voice. It's so wonderful to have at least one activity and associated set of memories that no one has ever tried to ruin for me.
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selkie
Activist
Member # 33078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Selkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Online, anywhere. I know that the web has a lot of "unsafe" material on it, but I think I've got most of the tips and tricks down. When I'm online, I can be myself! Without seeing people laughing at me, or anything else.

--------------------
"Fear is the mind-killer"
-Don't be afraid.

Posts: 117 | From: I'd prefer to keep it private | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my car is the safest place. It's like a little space made just for me, and I can lock it away and then climb in when I need to go somewhere. I can put on music and sing along and drive a bit fast with the windows open, and not mind that it's a bit dirty and makes noise. It's like a good, old friend, a little portable personal space.

My boyfriend's bed is actually not a safe place to me, because we have sex there and we've always got one ear open for anyone walking by, haha. But my bed at college is a safe place, because I'm usually alone, or talking on the phone or internet to someone I like or love. Plus in college you really learn to love sleep a lot =)

Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bragorien
Activist
Member # 37490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bragorien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I am with my boyfriend, I feel really safe and secure.
My last boyfriend got my trust, then cheated on me a lot. he was a drunkard and very violent when he he was angry (and I'm lucky I was never around at these times!!)
So having my new boyfriend, whom I have learnt to trust, is really nice.
This weekend, a cousin of mine was killed in a car accident, and he helped me cope on the first day after finding out, he just makes me feel happy and safe no matter what - so much so, i felt guilty that I had stopped crying for my cousin.
But the minute he has to leave everything comes back and it hits me again: school pressure, the loss of my cousin, the worried, the knowing i won't see him for a week...
So I got to my other safe place: Under my desk. I know it sounds strange but if I ever have a breakdown, I sit under my work desk and cry there. If ever I start cutting myself again, or anything like that, I go curl up there so it is both my safe place and my 'naughty step' as it were.
My other favorite (summer) place, is sitting on my window sill with my legs out of the window. I can sit and look at the stars and think there. It makes me more calm.

--------------------
"I made a resolution: Dance, like nobody's watching. Which I do... with the curtains closed - in case anybody's watching!"

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grizzly_boy
Activist
Member # 44932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grizzly_boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My home and my school are safe places. This site seems relatively safe, although i registered only a few hours ago.

--------------------
Grizzly

Wondering about my handle? I have hairy legs. Last year, my "friends" used "Grizzly" to tease me. now I just use it as nickname.

Posts: 47 | From: Oakland | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.