Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Stopping self harm (potential trigger warning)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stopping self harm (potential trigger warning)
That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Icon 4 posted      Profile for That Strange CT child     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so ever since early childhood ive had sort of an obsession with causing myself harm
I really dont consider any of what happened before the summer after 8th grade self harm since i didnt do it to cope, i did it for fun at first

[edited graphic content]

But even though each relapse gets harder to overcome, we all can pull it together and stop hurting ourselves
Remember you r not alone
Tu non es solus! Tu numquam es solus!

[ 05-06-2013, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Molias ]

--------------------
It is my hope that what i ask here is answered for me and anyone else afraid to ask the same question :)

Posts: 133 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi CT Child,

I'm sorry that you're having this ongoing issue with self-harm. However, this is just way outside of what we can handle here at Scarleteen. Our focus is on sexuality, sexual health, and relationships, and we need to stick to that. This just isn't what we're best equipped to handle.

I know you mentioned a while back that you were going to see a therapist soon; that's really the best place to go with this sort of concern. If you haven't mentioned your self-harm habits to your therapist I'd encourage you to do that as soon as you can, and if you have I'd mention that you're still struggling with it so the two of you can work on a new approach that might be more effective.

I've edited out some of the detail in your post that is graphic enough that it could easily be triggering to other users here.
In addition, asking other people to share experiences of self-harm is really not a healthy way to approach dealing with the issue; sharing strategies to cope with the impulse to self-harm is one thing, but sharing stories of the harm itself is not going to create a safe environment, which is what we want to encourage here.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
That Strange CT child
Activist
Member # 104246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for That Strange CT child     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx molias and i am working with a therapist on it now [Smile]

--------------------
It is my hope that what i ask here is answered for me and anyone else afraid to ask the same question :)

Posts: 133 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ellecubed
Neophyte
Member # 107532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ellecubed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for this inspiring message.
Posts: 33 | From: Toronto | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.