Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Anorexia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anorexia
flapoints
Neophyte
Member # 42663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flapoints     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am guy and I have anorexia. My ex girl friend helped me come to terms with it probly about half a year ago or so. I am not balemic so it isn't that bad yet but it has constantly been an on off fight with it and even when I do eat its only becuase I force myself to. So I want to know what advice yall can give me on gettin better and eating like I should becuase I feel like I'm loosing the battle and I dont want to. And i know im not the only one with this problem so please help if u can. Thanks
Posts: 6 | From: F.L. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi flapoints, and welcome to Scarleteen. [Smile]

Can I ask if anyone other than your ex knows about this? Do you have a support system set up? Do you have a therapist?

Another question, do you know why you're not eating? For me, that was pretty huge. Once I learned why I'd stopped eating, it was far easier for me to see that it wasn't a temporary coping mechanism, but something that was causing some very real long-term damage.

Something else that is still very important to me is having breakfast. If I miss one meal I may miss the next four, so having something, anything, for breakfast definitely makes things a little easier.

Eating disorders are not easy to recover from and advice like "eat breakfast" is not going to be enough. You're going to need some in-person support and a lot of patience and self-love. I'll be more than happy to keep talking to you, but do make sure you're working on a support network to help you with this.

[ 04-26-2009, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: -Jill ]

--------------------
“I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns.” --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flapoints
Neophyte
Member # 42663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flapoints     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no one knows but her and a few other people who used to talk to online but they dont get on too much anymore and one commited suicide. so no i dont have any support system but her. and i used to have a therapist becuase i turned myself in for cutting and i had to go to one befor i could go back to school but my parents made me stop going to her then i was caught agin and so they took me to a pastor at a church but i ended up stoping going to him so i no longer have one. and i dont eat becuase i hate my body i usualy dont feel like i deserve to eat and just dont feel like eating.
Posts: 6 | From: F.L. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dundeedufc
Neophyte
Member # 39976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dundeedufc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey flapoints.

I'm currently 17 and a guy. When I was 13 years old I had a severe case of anorexia. I know exactly what you're going through. I just want you to know that I went through the things you are going through, you will get better, just please know that.
I will gladly talk to you online sometime or we can communicate through here. You will get better, seriously. Everything just gets better from here. Things may be uncomfortable at times, but that is what it's all about.

--------------------
"I was nauseous and tingly all over. I was either in love or I had smallpox."
Woody Allen

Posts: 39 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flapoints
Neophyte
Member # 42663

what did you do to get over/through it?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dundeeufc, this area is for staff and volunteer replies only, so we'll see you around the rest of the boards.

Flapoints, if you'd like someone to move this thread to the area of the boards where all users can reply, just ask, and one of the mods can do that for you.

I will say, as Jill has already mentioned, that we're happy to help you as much as we can here, but eating disorders are a bit beyond the scope of our abilities. In-person support is critical for recovery, and we're happy to help you find some resources if you need assistance with that.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keicy
Neophyte
Member # 42670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keicy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi can ask something im just paranoid we have sex but we i have my panties on and after that my panties get wet because of the pre cum will i get pregnant?
Posts: 1 | From: philippines | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flapoints
Neophyte
Member # 42663

sorry my friend got some advice from here on cutting so i didnt know if yall could help or not its all good no worries thank you anyways =)
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
keicy, can you start your own thread please? You can do that by clicking the "new topic" button at the top or bottom of the page.

flapoints, right now I think we can best serve you by helping you find some in person support. If you're comfortable giving a more specific location, I can try to find something in your area. We can also talk about how best to approach people already in your life, like your parents. Is there anyone you think you can discuss this with?

--------------------
“I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns.” --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Would you like this thread moved to one of the public forums so you could get input from more people?

And in the interest of accuracy, I'd like to address a point from your first post that I missed. Anorexia and bulimia do not lead into each other; they are both distinct conditions, both of them very serious. So, just because you aren't purging doesn't mean you don't have a serious health problem, nor does it mean you don't deserve care and treatment.

--------------------

flapoints
Neophyte
Member # 42663

I live in St. Augustine, and there arnt too many people i feel comfterble talking to but i could probly find some not my parents though they arent realy that close to me. and as far as moving this post i dont mind either way whatever u think is best.
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

I'm getting the impression that your parents aren't going to be very supportive of therapy; is that correct?

What resources do you have at school? Do you have a counselor there you could talk to?

You mentioned talking to someone at church. While religious officials can be very helpful, I think you need to talk to someone who truly understands eating disorders and has the training to help with them. Is your pastor someone who could help you talk to your parents?

Did you have a good relation with your former counselor? Could you call him/her yourself and find out what your options are?

--------------------

flapoints
Neophyte
Member # 42663

no they even pulled me out of therapy when i was cutting they let me go to about 4 or 5 sessions then pulled me out
no we have counslers but she isnt very good when i went to her for help with my cutting problem she just turned me into the cops
i dont think anything could get through to my parents they dont believe anything is ever wrong with me they have even told Doc.s im lieing when somethings medicaly wrong with me and the Doc. even says there is
and yes he was cool but like u said he was only a pastor so i dont know what training he has with eating disorders
and thank u for trying to help me, im sorry if i seem a lil unrealistic or pestemistic sometimes

just_curious 411
Activist
Member # 45947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just_curious 411     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey flapoints, I just wanted to share something with you that I thought you might find encouraging:

I was diagnosed with anorexia when I was 13 years old after my parents took notice that I had fallen into a deep and severe depression. My mother signed me up for sessions with a private counsellor for several months. After that, I started seeing a phsychiatrist and a phsycologist two days a week (that went on for about a year and a half). I considered attempting suicide on multiple occasions (obviously I never succeeded). There's really no other way to describe this experience than a living hell. It was my personal nightmare from which I could never escape. I later started cutting, and had to go see another counsellor for that issue.

It's been about three or four years since all this shit started, but I'm doing much better now. I have made a total recovery, and I still have my setbacks, but I know that I'm moving forward.

Anyway, I guess you didn't really know all that (TMI), but I just want you to know that you're not alone out there. I'm sorry that you have to go through this - it sucks, man, it really does.
I hope you're doing better.

Posts: 59 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.