Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Sex Addiction?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex Addiction?
superxbats
Neophyte
Member # 43035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superxbats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any sex addicts out there?Does anyone else feel sex is a compulsion,or gets a high out of having sex?Does normal sex seem boring, and are u constantly seeking out more bold and exotic sexual situations? There are days when all I think about is sex.Its horrible, I need support.
Posts: 24 | From: mississippi | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey superbats: check out my answer to your other question on this here: http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/9/t/000295.html#000006

To be clear, sex can often make people feel high: after all, it elevates the heart, makes circulation flow, and also causes chemical changes in the body, including (with orgasm and arousal) endorphins, a hormone we also can experience with say, a serious workout, that is known as the "feel-good" hormone of the human body.

Too, what's "normal sex?" I'm not being silly, it's an earest question. What one person finds or considers normal may not be what another person does, and what's considered abnormal or "deviant" is often strongly influenced by bias. For instance, through a lot of history and still by some people today, sex between those of the same gender is considered "abnormal." See what I mean?

In that same vein, people wanting to be sexually adventurous or to experiment isn't necessarily unhealthy. Taking huge health risks in doing so, or doing things -- or things with given people -- which are emotionally dangerous for a given person or nonconsensual? That kind of stuff is a different story.

Lastly, most people will have times in their lives when all they think about it sex or sex is of particular, pervasive interest. And for people in their teens and early twenties, some of that is simply chemical, and about the phase of development you're in.

So, why is it you are considering yourself a sex addict? Do you feel like your sexual behavior has been unhealthy for you? if so, what areas of those choices are you finding problematic?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years back I had a sort of crotch-fixation, and I hated it. When I was watching a performance, or seeing people across the room, my eyes went to their crotches by habit. I couldn't break it and I hated it. Not sure why I can see the rest of them now, but the point is it was temporary. Like Heather said, it was just a point in life.
Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_curious 411
Activist
Member # 45947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just_curious 411     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently started masturbating, and I haven't really been able to stop since. I don't know if I would consider myself a "sex addict," but I can relate to what you're saying. On one hand, I'm kind of ashamed of doing this (it just seems dirty and wrong), but then again, it's also a very pleasurable experience. Maybe it's just me, but I've often observed that sexuality can be extremely enticing, yet very repulsive at the same time.
Posts: 59 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.