Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Finals: Yikes!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finals: Yikes!
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have finals next week for the first time (I'm a Freshman), and I'm pretty nervous. I've actually been feeling physically ill since a few days ago, since I'm so nervous. The homeopathic doctor my mum and I see (and have been seeing for as long as I can remember) has giving me pills to take to help me deal with anxiety. (She actually perscribed them quite a while ago, when I was feeling extreme anxiety about being sick and missing school - so much so that I was making myself sick. She says I can also use them for test anxiety and claustrophobia.)

I have a study plan/schedule, and I generally feel like I'm doing the right things as far as preparing goes, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm terrified! I guess I'm just looking for comfort and/or coping mechanisms (that don't involve taking pills, cause I'd really rather not have to take them too frequently).

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alea
Activist
Member # 31146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was going through finals for the first time, one thing I found out that helped was studying in small chunks instead of huge rushes. 30 minutes on, 10 off, that kind of thing. Having some time to do something else helps you from stressing too much under the work load!

For me, though, what calmed me down the most was calculating out what grade I needed to get on the final to get the desired grade in the class. When I realized I only needed a 67 on my Spanish final (the one I was dreading) to make an A in the class, I stopped panicking. [Smile] Might help out if you've kept track of everything!

--------------------
Obscurity is the refuge of the incompetent.

Posts: 58 | From: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is right around this time that some of the seniors I know are taking midterms as well.

Alea gave some excellent advice. If you are doing well in your classes, do a rough estimate to see what the minimum score is that you need to pass the class. That can take a lot of the pressure off.

Other than that, DO spread your studying out, and DON'T cram. You are less likely to remember things if you cram. The more starts and stops you have, the better your brain will be at grasping ideas and facts.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the response!

My math teacher did tell us how to calculate what grade we need to get on the final to get the grade we want, but I don't exactly understand how to do it. In most of my classes (except for Latin and English), my grades are borderline between an A- and a B+. In History, especially, I have a very high B+, but I really want to bump it up to an A-. I only need to raise my grade 1.6% to achieve that, but I'm just not very good at History, and haven't done so well on tests in that class in the past.

I've been studying more or less in two-hour sessions, so I suppose I could break that up more. I'm working very hard to keep myself motivated and not procrastinate, and am doing a fairly good job of it, but it's hard. :(

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ipsesloev
Neophyte
Member # 31520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ipsesloev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heres something that is totally weird but it happens to help me alot. I chew mint gum when I study, and when I'm about to take the exam I eat another peice of the same mint gum. I think what happens is that the taste triggers something in your brain that helps you remember what you were focusing on at the other time you were chewing gum. funny huh?

and what Alea said is exactly right, shorter more spread out study periods are most effective.

One last note, sleep is the best consolidator so dont forget to catch some z's.

--------------------
"If you blame others for your failures, do you credit them for your achievements?"

Posts: 38 | From: tn | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Heh. Sleep. I guess that means I should be getting to bed right about now, eh?

As far as the taste-triggered memory stuff goes, that seems like it might actually make sense. Though, I'm not a huge fan of gum. Or, really, any other candy you chew but don't swallow or dissolve in your mouth. Except for those butterscotch hard candies. But I'd have to go out and buy those, and I don't know that I can be bothered. *shrug* But I'll see.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.