Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » School Stress

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: School Stress
bellaitaliana69
Activist
Member # 29887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bellaitaliana69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to a private school that is known for being acacemically very demanding. However, this year, things have been especially bad. I'm taking hard classes, but they're not that difficult. The only problem is that I have so much work. I had a 20 page paper assigned in the first week of school (it's due this Friday). I turned in a draft and my teacher said I had to re-do all of my research because it was all wrong, and now I have only two days before it's due. I have at least two tests every week, and obscene amounts of homework. On a good day, I'm up unitl midnight studying. The stress is taking a major toll on me because I get no sleep and I have no time to do the things I love (such as theater, and being with my friends).

My parents push me hard to do well in school, especially my mom. She continuously tells me that unless my grades are perfect that I'll never get into a good college and that I'll basically fail at life. Since I'm always so stressed out and have a very unbalanced life at the moment, my dad asked me if I wanted to switch to a public school. Right now I go to an American school in Rome, and if I switched to a public school I'm afraid that I won't fit in. I've been living in Italy for about four years, but I'm afraid that I'll stand out as being foreign and get picked on or something. I went to a public school for the first few months that I lived in Italy and I was bullied alot. Also, I know that I wouldn't get as good quality of an education if I switch.

Any advice would be appreciated.

~Gabi

--------------------
"Only fear the things which have the power to harm" --Dante Aligheri, "Inferno" canto 2

A miracle is not the suspension of natural law, but the operation of a higher law.

Posts: 136 | From: Roma, Italy | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ciao, bellaitaliana!

I'm sorry to hear about your stress. Your school sounds very demanding and you seem to be quite burdoned with work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, however, it sounds to me like you have a strong work ethic. This can make things all the more difficult if your parents are pushing you to stay on top of your studies, but you're already pushing yourself. You may need to let them know that they can rest assured you're getting everything done, and tell them that if they keep badgering you it will only increase your stress level.

I went to a private high school, and I was unhappy there for four years. My parents wouldn't let me leave, *even though it was my choice to attend a private school in the first place*, because they were convinced that the good education I was getting was infinitely valuable. Did I recieve great schooling? Certainly. Did I ever like high school? Not once. If I ever claimed to have liked it, I was either trying to fool myself into liking it, or I was fooling family members into thinking I liked it, in order to keep them happy.

You say that when you tried out a public school in Italy, you were bullied a lot. Bullying is a bigger issue in high schools than most people think. In fact, it seems to be only the ones being bullied who are aware of it. I was bullied throughout high school, and my best advice to you if you again encounter a situation of mistreatment would be: Do not believe a word that is being said about you. I internalized every misconception my bulliers had about me. I didn't understand what was going on and became extremely self-conscious and depressed. If other people's cruelty starts to get to you, TRY TRY TRY to just be confident that you are a fine and decent person. If you can, think of it as a challenge. Think: How can I overcome this obstacle in my life? You really have no reason to not be happy. Take whatever steps necessary to achieve this.

If you think an American public school is something you might like, the only way to test that theory is to try it. Have a chat with your parents. Let them know your concerns, if you feel comfortable sharing that information with them. The more you tell them, the better they will understand you. And believe me, you're better than you think you are. Even if you let your parents in on the bullying you encountered, they're still going to know every wonderful detail of YOU. Check with your parents to see what options you have- Could you, possibly, try out a public school just for a while? If that doesn't work out, can you transfer back into your current school?

By the way, what grade are you in?

I wish you the best!!!

--------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

Posts: 150 | From: !USA! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding your paper that's due soon...can you speak with your instructor about either getting an extension or at least getting some help with it? If you're honest with your instructor, often they'll help you out however possible.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bellaitaliana69
Activist
Member # 29887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bellaitaliana69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's too late for me to plead for an extension. I think I can get this paper done in the time that I have left, even though it's going to be difficult. I'm in eleventh grade right now. I went to a public school when I was in 8th grade, but I was only there for about 6 months because my family moved. I've been at my current school since my second semester of 8th grade.
I don't know if there are any American public schools in Rome, but then again I haven't really looked into it.

--------------------
"Only fear the things which have the power to harm" --Dante Aligheri, "Inferno" canto 2

A miracle is not the suspension of natural law, but the operation of a higher law.

Posts: 136 | From: Roma, Italy | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vialeinais
Neophyte
Member # 31626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vialeinais     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No offence intended here, but, shouldn't you get working?

What I have seen, is that, if your draft was messed up, due to falty research, this shoulds like a topic that is fairly hard to research, assuming you took any time on your first draft, and it was still wrong, shouldn't I assume that it will take much more time, to get correct information?

Just my, slightly harsh, veiw on the subject

--------------------
Without flame, you only have fire.
-self

Posts: 4 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Vialeinais, given that bellaitaliana had two days to re-do her paper and this topic is over two months old, I'm pretty sure this is a moot point by now.)

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.